Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Dal's Dream Car

Default Any advice on first Parade?

So I am getting ready for my first parade this Saturday. Have the kids riding with me in the '29 Tudor. I'm a little nervous about clutching and braking uphill and downhill at 2-5mph for 1.5 miles. I have had the car for a year but have never driven it like this. Any advice from the seasoned vets out there?
Dal's Dream Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Any advice on first Parade?

With My car a walking speed parade works out to first gear at idle, for fine speed adjustment I use the spark advance ---between retarded and about 1/2 --after that the idle gets rough, the GAV is where I keep it for low speed driving, usually about 1/4 ---most times it will happily run this way for hours, sometimes it gets some surging, then I push in the clutch and give a high idle for a short time ---the A should idle slow enough to go walking speed without riding the clutch.(with 3:78 rear)

My usual parade preparation is to clean the horn commutator with a shop rag and back the adjustment out 1 click---and put the flag holder on the rad neck
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Fred K-OR

Yes get the horn to work! kids like that sound.

The last parade I took the grandkids in, I would let out the clutch to go a bit in the parade and then pause a little while, put it in neutral and then let the clutch out to save the throw out bearing. Don't know if this is needed but I had to have something to do for the hour or so the parade took.

Have fun and good luck. Look out for the kids going out after the candy thrown out.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
TinCup

Have fun!
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
binkbee

Take a gallon jug of water with ya!
binkbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
Arlen

I was going to say make sure horn is at its best. Also flags on the car are a crowd favorite. Your car will drive just fine. Wear an old time hat if you have one.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
59mgaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkbee View Post
Take a gallon jug of water with ya!

What ever you do if it over heat DO NOT ADD THAT WATER TO THE RADIATOR EVEN WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. You'll crack the head or block.

Pull out and let it sit.
59mgaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
Dal's Dream Car

Thanks to all for the tips. I've got the flags, got the hats, got the jug of water in case I have to sit on the sidelines for awhile. I like the idea of leaving it in first gear and using the spark advance. Might have to test run that in the neighborhood.
Dal's Dream Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
P.S.

Parades seem best enjoyed while watching rather than participating. However, I think everyone should participate at least once for the experience.

Kurt's post about using the spark advance for speed control is excellent. Assuming your car is not one prone to overheating, this works excellent.

Also, agree with everyone's info about servicing the horn prior to the parade. However, be courteous with it. The people in the parade in front of you might not enjoy it as much as the crowd. In my experience, the crowd will prompt you when an 'ahooga' is needed. Keep em short, the marching girl scouts in front of you will appreciate it.

Since we're talking about servicing... Make sure your car idles reliably! If your car won't idle reliably and slowly, then do yourself and your car a favor and sit this one out. Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks and that your carb is adjusted well. A rough idle or having to fight the motor to keep it running will greatly detract from the fun.

I know you have a Tudor, but this is for those that have a coupe with a rumble seat- put something or someone in it. If you don't have some kids that like to wave for an hour straight to put in it, find some. The scouts or FFA or 4-H will usually be a good place to recruit some wavers. If you can't find kids, get a large stuffed animal.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
Rex_A_Lott

Dont line up in front of the Firetrucks, or behind the horses if you can help it.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Mikeinnj

Don't throw candy from your vehicle. Small kids focus on that candy and may run right into your path.

Always be ready for the unexpected, like your clutch release arm breaking with a group of people in front of your vehicle.
Make sure your insurance is paid up....
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
Skeezixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post

I know you have a Tudor, but this is for those that have a coupe with a rumble seat- put something or someone in it. If you don't have some kids that like to wave for an hour straight to put in it, find some. The scouts or FFA or 4-H will usually be a good place to recruit some wavers. If you can't find kids, get a large stuffed animal.
The rumble seat in my roadster is so popular in parades it's usually booked months in advance of the event.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
Clem Clement

Watch out for kids running to the car. SAFETY FIRST. Fill your tires to 35 psi. You are in for a thrilling time
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #14
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezixx View Post
The rumble seat in my roadster is so popular in parades it's usually booked months in advance of the event.

Yes, indeed!! Good times, for sure.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #15
Thaplumbr

Have fun,enjoy driving,be thankful,and be safe!!!
Thaplumbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #16
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Yes get the horn to work! kids like that sound.

The last parade I took the grandkids in, I would let out the clutch to go a bit in the parade and then pause a little while, put it in neutral and then let the clutch out to save the throw out bearing. Don't know if this is needed but I had to have something to do for the hour or so the parade took.

Have fun and good luck. Look out for the kids going out after the candy thrown out.
Putting transmission in neutral when stopped in a parade also saves wear on the crankshaft thrust bearing. When thrust bearing gets worn the crank will move forward/backward and pump oil out the rear main.

Major cause of rear main leaks and the reason for an engine rebuild or at least a tear-down for repair.

Also it is a good practice to release clutch when stuck in traffic jams or long traffic lights.

Also retarding the spark creates more heat so if radiator is boiling, advance the spark to about 1/2 while idling.

Folks love the "puckety puckety" sound but it does cause overheating if your radiator is not up to cooling the engine.

Originally the carburetors were setup to run the GAV at 1/4 to 1/2 turn at sea-level, so if GAV is closed at sea-level to around 3000 feet the mixture is too lean and overheating will occur.

Each carb is different and rebuilds vary widely.

Here at 6000 feet and above many GAVs work fine at 1/8th turn. At 9,000 to 12,000 and above some engines like GAV closed.

Model B carbs were setup to be closed once engine is warmed up.

Last edited by Benson; 08-09-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote