Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Droobie

Default Need machine shop recommendation

Hey there A folks. Anyone have recommendations for a machine shop around the Charlotte area to get my cylinder head surfaced? I asked the machinist at work if he could do it but he said that it wasnt bad enough to throw it on the bridgeport. He said that it would only need about .001-.002 shaved. It really doesnt feel or look that bad but there are some low spots from where the gasket was that i am not comfortable leaving alone. Also for a good little laugh.... I popped the head off to find a little skeleton of a gecko on the #3 piston. perfect and in tact.
Droobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Need machine shop recommendation

OK I hope it was that gecko from Geico! Seriously, I wouldn't do a head on a Bridgeport. Why? you ask. It's to long for the table! "But Terry!", You protest.
"The table is 42", surely the head will fit!" Yes It will, But! The table will be at the extremes of it's travel, And! And the other end of the table will be hanging in outer space and sagging downward, forcing the end that's being cut upward ever so slightly .001 -.003, depending on the wear of the machine and the gib. Reverse this condition for the other end and you're replicating the state of ohio, high in the middle and low at the ends. Furthermore, Heads are ground, not really "milled". If theres a Blanchard within your realm, the Blanchard will do a dandy job of resurfacing a head. Also, with all that set up time, why take just .001? Have some fun, Knock at least .025 off of it. There's been some really great threads about high compression heads on here lately. Why not take a look at them.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
James Rogers

I can do it but I live in Asheville and you can surely get someone closer to you. We use a Van Norman 570 broach which is a type of mill used specifically for the resurfacing heads and blocks.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
Droobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
OK I hope it was that gecko from Geico! Seriously, I wouldn't do a head on a Bridgeport. Why? you ask. It's to long for the table! "But Terry!", You protest.
"The table is 42", surely the head will fit!" Yes It will, But! The table will be at the extremes of it's travel, And! And the other end of the table will be hanging in outer space and sagging downward, forcing the end that's being cut upward ever so slightly .001 -.003, depending on the wear of the machine and the gib. Reverse this condition for the other end and you're replicating the state of ohio, high in the middle and low at the ends. Furthermore, Heads are ground, not really "milled". If theres a Blanchard within your realm, the Blanchard will do a dandy job of resurfacing a head. Also, with all that set up time, why take just .001? Have some fun, Knock at least .025 off of it. There's been some really great threads about high compression heads on here lately. Why not take a look at them.
Terry
LOL I wish it was the gecko from Geico... I hate seeing that little guy on TV. I would love to buy a higher compression head but my personal accountant (my wife) is a tight wad. Terry I appreciate your words of wisdom. Thank you!!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Droobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
I can do it but I live in Asheville and you can surely get someone closer to you. We use a Van Norman 570 broach which is a type of mill used specifically for the resurfacing heads and blocks.
James Rodgers I have talked to two machine shops today and they had never done a flat head or wasnt even sure if they could do it then they wanted what i thought was alot of money if they could do it. I would rather have an experienced perosn do it. PM me with a round about price to do it and I might be able to talk the wife into a trip to the mountains. Thank you.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Bob V

A lot of engine machine shops have a large belt sanding machine that they lay the head on to clean up just the type of conditions that you are talking about. It works well for removing .001-.005 of material. The equipment is made for this purpose and the work is much cheaper than milling the head. I've had about 6 T and A heads done this way and they all worked perfect.
Bob V is offline   Reply With Quote