Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
hardtimes

Default Model A books Q....

'Re-located' some ford books in the shed that I'd forgotten about a long time ago. Is there some place where old Ford books are logged , so that a guy can reference them...for availability/value It would be nice if they would go to restorer/enthusiast..in that order. Mabe off to fleabay, as got to thin the stuff around here as she puts it
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Tiny

Default Re: Model A books Q....

Sent you a PM. Your trying to thin and I'm bulking up!
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
luckyal

you say as she puts it. Holy crap ! It is easier to find another woman than good old Ford books ! Put her to the curb and keep the books !
Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Bigdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyal View Post
you say as she puts it. Holy crap ! It is easier to find another woman than good old Ford books ! Put her to the curb and keep the books !
Al
I would suggest that any books pertaining to the Model A would be wecome at the soon to be open Model A Ford Museum in Hickory Corners, MI. Check the MAFFI website.
Bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
Elcastor

For a price check look at http://www.abebooks.com/ they are a good source of books at competitive prices.
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:59 AM   #6
ctlikon0712

Type the name in Amazon under the books section with the author and you'll probably find a history of what they have sold for.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:21 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlikon0712 View Post
Type the name in Amazon under the books section with the author and you'll probably find a history of what they have sold for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdave View Post
I would suggest that any books pertaining to the Model A would be wecome at the soon to be open Model A Ford Museum in Hickory Corners, MI. Check the MAFFI website.
Then take that amount, as found on Amazon or Abe books, as a tax deduction when you donate them to the Model A Ford Museum.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
It would be nice if they would go to restorer/enthusiast..in that order.
Contact the national clubs and see if they can put you in touch with a young man/woman that is restoring an A they could use the materials I would think as they enter the hobby.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Contact the national clubs and see if they can put you in touch with a young man/woman that is restoring an A they could use the materials I would think as they enter the hobby.
I would agree in most cases. I remember a story about a model T guy giving a valuable book on model T's to a guy that wanted to get in the model T hobby. In a very short time, the ungreatful guy that received the free book , Put it up for sale on the swap site. I remember that it caused quite an upstir.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 03-22-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlikon0712 View Post
Thanks, tried that! Either I'm not smart as this machine or this sob is constantly trying to outsmart me ! Either way, I'm darn sick of 'cookies' and bs from this mechanical wonder
Old 03-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I would agree in most cases. I remember a story about a model T guy giving a valuable book on model T's to a guy that wanted to get in the model T hobby. In a very short time, the ungreatful guy that receivrd the free book , Put it up for sale on the swap site. I remember that it caused quite an upstir.
Hey Purdy,
Thanks! Mabe I'll just sit back and read/reread them. Like yesterday, sat down in shed on a beautiful 78 degree day and started reading/reading/reading...on/on..in the morning when I was supposed to be 'spreading the cow feces',eh ! Well, when the director got home....in the evening, near dark, I was still sitting/reading in the shed...yikes! It's amazing how much you think you know, but forgot you knew. Like...did Ford ever have a 'recall' (before recalls were called recalls) and for WHAT reason?
And...do youall have a huge collection of Model A News/Model A Times/ The Restorer ? If so, what is you favorite (copy or cover)?
Heres's a favorite that a lot here are probably too young to even name these Model A enthusiasts:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (95.3 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
CarlG

Andy Griffin still owned a Model A when he died last year.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I would agree in most cases. I remember a story about a model T guy giving a valuable book on model T's to a guy that wanted to get in the model T hobby. In a very short time, the ungreatful guy that receivrd the free book , Put it up for sale on the swap site. I remember that it caused quite an upstir.
Of course you take that chance on anything you donate, no matter to whom/where you donate it to.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
lance leblanc

I believe putting the books in this forums' "Swap Meet - For Sale" would generate a positive response.

"When Solomon said there was a time and place for everything he had not encountered the problem of parking his automobile." Bob Edwards
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #15
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Andy Griffin still owned a Model A when he died last year.
Yup, and Don Knotts was one of the funniest guys ever! He also was proof that you don't have to be a vulgar person to be successful at humor
Old 03-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Purdy,
Thanks! Mabe I'll just sit back and read/reread them. Like yesterday, sat down in shed on a beautiful 78 degree day and started reading/reading/reading...on/on..in the morning when I was supposed to be 'spreading the cow feces',eh ! Well, when the director got home....in the evening, near dark, I was still sitting/reading in the shed...yikes! It's amazing how much you think you know, but forgot you knew. Like...did Ford ever have a 'recall' (before recalls were called recalls) and for WHAT reason?
And...do youall have a huge collection of Model A News/Model A Times/ The Restorer ? If so, what is you favorite (copy or cover)?
Heres's a favorite that a lot here are probably too young to even name these Model A enthusiasts:
I do have a truck load of model A club magazines, Model A news, Restorer, model A trader, Secrets of speed journal and the F.A.S.T. news letter. I still read them from time to time and know if I got rid of any of them, I would regret it. Deb has already threw away a bunch of my old Hemmings motor news books. The ones that I like best are the Secrets of speed journal and the fast news letter. Here is an old pic of me loading dried horse pills to spread in the garden and flower beds.

Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #17
hardtimes

Hey Purdy,
Nice pic ! Love that A utility truck, indeed! You've got to get an old manure spreader for that job and for that truck to pull !
Take it from an old farm kid...cow manure for garden and horse manure for pasture use...it's nutrients for veggies vs seeds to grow weeds ! Horses were blessed with great strength (like your A truck!) , but not with a great digestive system!