Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Dago 88

Default Isky adjustables ?

Firstly Merry Christmas to everyone on the "Barn".
I have just purchased a set of Isky adjustable lifters for my "99A" & is it just me or are they really hard to adjust ? I have had them before, but I have never had the problems I am having with this set, is it because they are new? Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Charlie.
Dago 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
ford3

Default Re: Isky adjustables ?

all adjustables are a pain in the a** to adjust with the lifter adjusting tools that comes with the lifters, its easier if you drill a hole in the lifter boss so you can insert a rod thru the lifter body so it cant turn, if yours are hard to turn it means the adjusting rod has tight threads and wont loosen up in 10,000, or maybe not, after adjusting the valves turn the engine over 2 or 3 time the recheck the valves, i bet you find 1 or 2 loose ones, not to hurt any ones feelings but adustables are just a band aid for the inexperienced builder, or the ones who are afraid of adjusting valves fords way be cause they dont have the experience or knowlege, that includes most engine builders
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Dago 88

The reason I need adjustables, is because I have a modified cam shaft & the standard lifters are way too short.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Pete
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago 88 View Post
The reason I need adjustables, is because I have a modified cam shaft & the standard lifters are way too short.
Wrong reasoning.
You weld up the end of the valve.
Tig weld with 347 stainless rod.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Walt Dupont--Me.

Hi Charlie. I realize not to many people have the valve grinder with the butt grinder but I very seldom use adjustable lifters. once in awhile I'll use a set that someone has bought because they want them but I hate them. I did have one set a few years ago that I liked they were made in Astrailer(spelling) I just install a set awhile ago. The screw was only in a few threads. Had to screw them done .100 or so. No way you could do it in the engine. This is the only way to do them. Install the lifter then install the valve and guide with no spring and hold the valve closed with your thumb, then remove the lifter and clamp the head of the screw in a vise and stick a screw through the lifter and turn it. One turn is about .040 then install the lifter again, when you can get a feeler guage in, say, .005, remove the lifter and mic it with a caliper rule or a 2in. mic. and screw the lifter down another .008 or.009 to get your clearance you want. After you've done a few you'll get the feel of about how much your turn in the lifter.
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Ol' Ron

Now Pete, just how many guys out there can do that, then have the equipment to properly grind and fit them. I only know one and he's 75 years old and lives in Maine.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
flatjack9

Right on. Even though I have the grinder, I do not have the equipment to weld stainless steel.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
oldford2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford3 View Post
all adjustables are a pain in the a** to adjust with the lifter adjusting tools that comes with the lifters, its easier if you drill a hole in the lifter boss so you can insert a rod thru the lifter body so it cant turn, if yours are hard to turn it means the adjusting rod has tight threads and wont loosen up in 10,000, or maybe not, after adjusting the valves turn the engine over 2 or 3 time the recheck the valves, i bet you find 1 or 2 loose ones, not to hurt any ones feelings but adustables are just a band aid for the inexperienced builder, or the ones who are afraid of adjusting valves fords way be cause they dont have the experience or knowlege, that includes most engine builders
Ford3, You didn't mention if you are an "experienced builder" or if you have a valve grinder and grind your stems to fit. For the guy trying to rebuild a flathead for the first or second time the adj. lifter is the only option (bandaid?). Can you give some first hand accounts of adj. lifters failing?
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
flatjack9

I built my first engine 20 years ago. Didn't have any equipment. Installed hollow adjustables and have 50,000 miles on my engine with no adjustments.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
52merc

flat attack are the lifters that walt is talking about mike davison well know flathead guy makes real good stuff
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Now Pete, just how many guys out there can do that, then have the equipment to properly grind and fit them. I only know one and he's 75 years old and lives in Maine.
Hey Ron, if I could flip a quarter to you I would for telling how young I am. My Bday is next month, maybe the real age will slip out. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
ford3

ive built these engine for over 50 years, and not an expert as you call people, but i do have many hours of experience, i raced these engines for 5 years at the old saugus stadium in so.calif. and i have had several adjustables loosen, usually around 10,000, and these were the old good johnsons, and yes i do have a valve grinding machine, and you can have the valves butt ground by a machinest for the price of the adjustables,and if you need longer valves and dont want to weld the ends, try chevy valves , there longer, and adjustables im my oppion are used for bragging rights at the malt shop gruise ins, spend the money on something you can see, i call them bandades because they are covering up a problem, i wont build an engine of my own using them, and now i wont build one for some one who wants them installed, that is my choice and your free to make any choice you want

Last edited by ford3; 12-22-2012 at 08:53 PM.
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
Dago 88

I have used adjustables before, & always had the same problems adjusting them. once adjusted I have never had a problem. The reason I posed the question, was because I never had the Ford Barn when I did my last one & I thought there might have been an easier way of adusting them in block. I will be using the "WaltDupont" method again. Thanks for input guys.
Charlie.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
Brian

What we need is for someone to make and supply GOOD quality, hollow non adjustable lifters like Henry made!

They are the lightest, best lifter, but NOS supplies seem to have dried up, hence in my latest builds I've been forced into having to use adjustables. [And in my opinion, 'Flatattack'- the Ozzie ones, are the best available adjustables on the market], but still would prefer to use original style.

So, all you entreprenuers that always seem to be grizzling about inferior, offshore made products, heres an opening for you. Supply the market with quality, hollow, non adjustable lifters, I think you'd find a good market for them.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Ron, I'm another 75 year old who can do the valves the old fashioned way.
Years ago, I worked in an auto machine shop and about 2 1/2 years ago, I bought a Sioux seat grinding set up from Walt's brother in Maine and a Sioux valve grinder off of Ebay. While I don't do it as a profession any more, I still do my own valves. No brag, just fact.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #16
Ol' Ron

Grinding the stock valves is not the issue, that's hard enough.But, grnding the lash for a small base circle takes time and some special talent. Cost more than a set of adjustable s.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #17
Ghost of elmirage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
What we need is for someone to make and supply GOOD quality, hollow non adjustable lifters like Henry made!

They are the lightest, best lifter, but NOS supplies seem to have dried up, hence in my latest builds I've been forced into having to use adjustables. [And in my opinion, 'Flatattack'- the Ozzie ones, are the best available adjustables on the market], but still would prefer to use original style.

So, all you entreprenuers that always seem to be grizzling about inferior, offshore made products, heres an opening for you. Supply the market with quality, hollow, non adjustable lifters, I think you'd find a good market for them.
What about "REDS"?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #18
Pete
BANNED

Quote:
Ron:
I know at least 6 people in my immediate area that can do them.

Flatjack9:
As far as welding them, anyone that can run a tig welder can weld them.

Brian:
Email me next time you need some reconditioned originals. I usually keep one set ready to go.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #19
Bassman/NZ

The whole point is missed.... right from the get-go. The poor old O/P only wanted to know if something was wrong with his Isky adjustables.... he did not ask for a whole discourse on the merits of them vs the Henry Ford way.
O/P... I have just installed some Isky adjustables and mine were very tight too. I figured tight is good, but they wont work with the stupid little wrenches. This didn't worry me because I used a homemade fixture, otherwise known as a soft jaw vice to set each one. I went through them five times in total, and got them absolutely bang-on. A long slow process, but I had the engine on a bench, and the valve assemblies just slid in and out no problem.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #20
Pete
BANNED

"The whole point is missed.... right from the get-go. The poor old O/P only wanted to know if something was wrong with his Isky adjustables.... he did not ask for a whole discourse on the merits of them vs the Henry Ford way."

That is very true but it is a way of life on Fordbarn and the HAMB.
Hi-jacking threads is standard operating procedure.