Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
steve s

Default 90-degree oil filter adapter

Has anyone had any experience with the 90-degree oil filter adapter that lets you turn the full-flow valve cover mounted filter from being horizontal to vertical? If you recommend it, who was your supplier.

I'm thinking this is another straw to grasp at in the quest to deal with hot-weather gasoline premature vaporization. With that big can sitting right in front of the carb, it sure looks like a design that will screen it from cooling fan breezes.

Here (hopefully) is a photo that shows what I'm talking about, along with some the other remedy straws I've grasped at.

bob's heat shield 004 - reduced.jpg

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
MikeK

Default Re: 90-degree oil filter adapter

There are three that I know of, all made by Ford. The new one currently labeled as a Ford motorsport part is cast aluminum and, in addition to the 90 turn, offsets the filter slightly to the left when you are facing it. It has an annoying tab on it, designed to clear a bolt on the original truck app it was borrowed from. Here's a link: http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford-Racing/39...oductId=748369
The second is also cast aluminum, and offsets the filter after the turn slightly right. The third is cast iron, used on vans in the late 60's. It is the most compact. You can find the last two used, at swaps, or just buy the new one.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
MBI Houston

You can get one from Bert's in Denver. It is actually a 180 degree turn that lets the filter lie horizontally.
MBI Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
There are three that I know of, all made by Ford. The new one currently labeled as a Ford motorsport part is cast aluminum and, in addition to the 90 turn, offsets the filter slightly to the left when you are facing it. It has an annoying tab on it, designed to clear a bolt on the original truck app it was borrowed from. Here's a link: http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford-Racing/39...oductId=748369
Mike,

Do you know if this adapter allows you to hang the filter vertically as well as rotate forward--whatever that means? I think that some of these adapters have a notch, groove, or keyway that lock into a certain orientation.

Also, I don't really mind that offset, but I'm wondering if it will bring the filter too close to the carb.

I've seen a picture of one of these adapters not too long ago in one of the Model A mags, but I'll be darned if I can find it (Secrets, Restorer, Model A News, Model A Times, Alternate, Skinned Knuckles). I think it was a Mopar.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 05-24-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
Mike,
Do you know if this adapter allows you to hang the filter vertically as well as rotate forward--whatever that means? I think that some of these adapters have a notch, groove, or keyway that lock into a certain orientation.

Also, I don't really mind that offset, but I'm wondering if it will bring the filter too close to the carb.

Thanks! Steve
Steve, Here's two pictures, the one sold by many vendors of Ford Motorsports parts and some A dealers, and the other aluminum one I mentioned, also a genuine Ford part, but offset the other way. Either will allow orientation up, down, sideways, 45* etc. You can see the annoying tab on the Motorsport one, originally made to locate around something to prevent rotation.

They both fit several filters in addition to the waste-of-a-quart FL1A. The short black filter is a painted Fram PH7328. There are some filters about 1/2" less in diameter, too.

This one is marked 61096 under a Ford oval logo and also bears the number 83TM6884AA on the casting.

I also mentioned an older Ford cast iron adapter, but I just looked at it and doubt it will clear a FL1A against the valve cover.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post

This one is marked 61096 under a Ford oval logo and also bears the number 83TM6884AA on the casting.
Thanks, Mike! The second one really looks like what I need. Do you have any idea where one could be purchased. Can't find it with Google and the Ford dealer says it must be pre-1980 and so not in the parts guy's system.

Steve
Old 05-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
Thanks, Mike! The second one really looks like what I need. Do you have any idea where one could be purchased. Can't find it with Google and the Ford dealer says it must be pre-1980 and so not in the parts guy's system.

Steve
Steve,
I'm afraid to tell you: HERSHEY is where I found it. Needle in a haystack. Sorry to hear there is no current part reference. I do occasionally see them at swaps. The rodders love 'em. The one in the picture was a $25 black dirty mess before I degreased, bead blasted, and replaced the o-rings.
MikeK
Old 10-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
Bob51

Bringing this back to ask if anyone knows what the threads are on these adaptors?? I called a Ford dealership and gave them the numbers listed above but they said it didn't show up in their system? Anyone know how and where I can find the 90 degree adaptor that skews to the right like 61096?
Bob51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob51 View Post
Bringing this back to ask if anyone knows what the threads are on these adaptors?? I called a Ford dealership and gave them the numbers listed above but they said it didn't show up in their system? Anyone know how and where I can find the 90 degree adaptor that skews to the right like 61096?
Here's some photos of what I ultimately did. I'm not sure what the relationship is between Ford and Ford Racing.

I can't lay my hands on the actual paperwork at the moment, but here's a photo I made that shows the box and credit card receipt for the adapter along with the receipt for an oil filter that I bought from the same outfit. Maybe you can pick a helpful phone number off of it or a part number off the cc slip for $88.

I don't recall the thread specs, but there was no problem mating things up with what I had before.

Steve
Old 10-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
Bob51

Thanks for the photos. The one you used looks like it skews a tad to the left as you face the engine. The one I need skews a tad to the right like the adapter with casting numbers 61096 a few posts above.

Would you have the measurements of your adapter? Or, could you post up a photo looking at the adapter straight on slightly from above. I need to see if it pokes out to the left beyond the rim of where it mates to the block. I have no room to the left of the oil filter mating surface. Thanks

Last edited by Bob51; 10-11-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
CarlG

I have both the 61096 pictured above and the one in the picture just above (post #9). I put the 61096 on my rig first, 'cause that's the one I had first. It offset to the right makes it hit the timing gear cover if you position it absolutely veritcal. I had to rotate it back about 15 degrees to make it work. I say make it work, when it really didn't. This was a "used" item and I failed to install all new rubber in it and I lost a brand new oil change on my garage floor / driveway before I noticed it. It came off as soon as I figured out what was wrong. Then I purchased the other one, which has a Ford Racing part # M-6880-A50 on the box. My friend has one on his 31 Coupe and likes it fine. I haven't yet put mine on, waiting till next oil change.

As to the little offending tab on the left side, It's really not in the way, but it would be very easy to just cut it off with a Dremmel. I've seen that done on this unit as well. Dressed up looks like it came that way.

I opted to paint mine engine green, that way it looks like it belongs.

Threads on both units are the same as on the FL1A / PH8A filter. The M-6880 has female threads, the 61096 has male threads, which makes it necessary to remove the nipple from the valve cover.

The 61096 I got on eBay (search Ford Oil Filter Adapter), the M-6880 from Summit Racing. It's probably available at your local Ford dealer everywhere but Alaska.

If neither one of these will do it for you, I'd suggest a remote adapter, then you can mount it just about anywhere you want to.

OK, I just got the one that is offset to the right out of my garage. It has the number under the Ford Logo C9J1A, and the other casting # is 97JM6884AA

Last edited by CarlG; 10-11-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Add more info
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
steve s

Quote:
Thanks for the photos. The one you used looks like it skews a tad to the left as you face the engine. The one I need skews a tad to the right like the adapter with casting numbers 61096 a few posts above.

Would you have the measurements of your adapter? Or, could you post up a photo looking at the adapter straight on slightly from above. I need to see if it pokes out to the left beyond the rim of where it mates to the block. I have no room to the left of the oil filter mating surface. Thanks
Hre's the only other photo I could find. I purposely mounted the filter at an angle to the motor so that the filter was close to vertical.

IMPORTANT: I just remembered there was a problem finding a filter that would fit. The problem was the FL-1A diameter was too large so it hit the oil return tube. The filter I settled on in the photo is NAPA 1288 for 2.2 or 2.3 L 80's Audi and other stuff.

Steve
Old 10-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
Bob51

Thanks to both you guys. The photos tells me the racing adapter won't work for me, it skews too far to the left, unless I mount it at an angle.

I would like to see a photo of the C9J1A, casting # 97JM6884AA if you have one lying around.

So I understand it better; do all these adapter's attach by that bolt with holes thingy that screws onto the threaded pipe just like a filter would?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
steve s

Quote:
Thanks to both you guys. The photos tells me the racing adapter won't work for me, it skews too far to the left, unless I mount it at an angle.

I would like to see a photo of the C9J1A, casting # 97JM6884AA if you have one lying around.

So I understand it better; do all these adapter's attach by that bolt with holes thingy that screws onto the threaded pipe just like a filter would?
I don't understand the left skewing part. The only fit problem I had was with filter diameter hitting return pipe.

Yes, it screws into the same pipe as the filter.

If you're looking for another reason to clinch your no-use decision, I was disappointed in the machining of the part. Some of the sealing surfaces seemed a bit narrow to me. Notice the outer surface in the lower right of this one:

Also, notice the difference in these three compared on the store's counter:

I don't know how much any of that matters. Maybe not at all; that groove in the top view holds a O ring that does the sealing.

Steve
Old 10-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #15
Rich in Tucson

If you use the adapter, you can order Wix oil filters, highest quality and made in the USA, from your local auto parts supplier as part number 51515 for the individual unit or cheaper as 51515MP for a case of 12.

They are already painted black and have a label that can easily be peeled off. No fit issues. I do not understand the Fl1A waste a quart sentiment; in my opinion a larger oil volume is a benefit and this setup also confers some value as an oil cooler although I have not quantified the effect.
Rich in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #16
Bob51

What I meant about skewing to the left; if you look at the racing adapter it does not drop straight down, it angles over to the left pushing the filter out beyond a plumb line dropped from the edge of the adaptor where it mates to the engine block.

Can anyone confirm what year and model Fords used the 61906 90 degree oil filter adapter? That adapter angles to the right, pushing the edge of the oil filter also to the right. That's what I need. The ones on ebay are too much money, about $80 with shipping. I plan on going to a salvage yard to look for one if I can get an idea what years/models/engines had them.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #17
Bob51

Bringing this back to see if anyone knows where I might find the oil filter adapter C9J1A, casting # 97JM6884AA or ?61096. It's pictured above in post's #5 and #6 with a skew to the right. Thanks
Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #18
Growley bear

Summit Racing sells a 90 degree adapter; not skewed to the left though, free shipping and the best price that I found. I also found that the FL1A filter has slight interference with the oil return tube on my engine.
If memory serves, the threaded portion is 3/4 13.
Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
denis4x4

I'm using a remote setup to clear the headers. I think that it was $25.00 at Speedway Motors. Some 3/4" threaded copper pipe replaced the hose/nipples. Been on this engine for nine years without any problems
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-005F.JPG (88.6 KB, 136 views)
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote