Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
t-head

Default Upcoming McPherson College Restoration Fund Raiser

Soon, probably after the first of the year we are going to have a fund raiser for the McPherson College Restoration Program on The Old Motor, where people will be able to donate directly to the school towards tools or buy an item for them.

Below is a list of some of the things they need, keep it in mind for when we have the fund raiser.
Just remember the young fellows we help today will be carrying on for us in the future.

We will announce it here and on The Old Motor.

In the mean time contact me here if you would like to buy any of the following for them and I will put you in touch with their fund raising department.

Automotive Restoration
Equipment & Tool Needs List

Applied Diagnostics
Exhaust gas analyzer $4,000
Automotive Electric Lab
Battery Chargers – 4 $550
Battery and electrical system scanner $2,300
Simpson Multi-meters – 12 $3,500
Fluke Digital meters $1,200
Chassis & Drive Train Labs
Spring Compressors $250
Fluid collection tables – 6 $450 each
Engine
Software and parts for Dyno $2,500
Motorcycle lab
Tire machine $1,500
SAE/Metric/Whitworth hand tools $2,500
Paint Lab
Divider curtain $3,000
110v TIG welder $2,400
Paint guns – 2 Iwata $750 each
Battery powered supplied air system $2,500
Dust collector $1,500

Sheet metal/ Welding Lab
Torch kits and carts – 2 $1,500
Yoder Power Hammer $7,000
Tubing bender $350

Trim Shop
Industrial sewing machine $2,000
Wood Shop
Hand tools
Sanders
Drill bits
Biscuit Jointer
Saw blades
$3,000
General Shop Equipment
Large steel top tables – 5 $950 each
Lab Computers – 8 $800 each

Last edited by t-head; 11-16-2012 at 12:25 PM.
t-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
jkeesey

Default Re: Upcoming McPherson College Restoration Fund Raiser

Holy Bajesus that stuffs expensive
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeesey View Post
Holy Bajesus that stuffs expensive
Unfortunatley good tools and equipment have always have been expensive and that is why they need our help.

Anyone that contrubutes to the fund when we get it set up can give whatever they can afford even it is only $5. No one has to by any one thing but if they would like to that is OK also.

All we ask is that you keep it in mind and put a few bucks aside for we we start the campain early next year.

In the meantime check out this neat video of the school Model T assembly team and the car they built. The link to the video is here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 9.jpg (21.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Garage Dog

TEE HEAD. But me down for a hunddred bucks when you start it. I think all the fordbarners should kick in. My hat is off to you.

great vido of the kids above and the tbone
Garage Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Dog View Post
TEE HEAD. But me down for a hunddred bucks when you start it. I think all the fordbarners should kick in. My hat is off to you.

great vido of the kids above and the tbone
Garage Dog, Thanks so much that will get us started!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
Model A Man

Don't take this the wrong way, isn't the tuition for the students $29,565.00 per year to attend McPherson. Does none of the tuition pay for equipment? Just wondering where the tuition goes? Like I said don't take any of these questions the wrong way.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Man View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, isn't the tuition for the students $29,565.00 per year to attend McPherson. Does none of the tuition pay for equipment? Just wondering where the tuition goes? Like I said don't take any of these questions the wrong way.
Good Question.....Probably mostly for room and board and classes. When we get set up this fund raiser, it is just to help the school buy equipment that they have not been able to afford to buy.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Man View Post
I understand your thoughts well. I have hired two graduates with degrees from this program and both graduates had extremely high (IMHO) student loans. Ironically neither employee is still with me.

From what I understood, this program was initiated with a $1.5 million dollar monetary grant along with a $250k car collection, and continues to receive grants & scholarships from many clubs and benefactors. If they are still seeking many of those items, it may be that McP. is not receiving much governmental funding for such purchases or maybe the school is limited on how much funding they can allocate?

I have two kids in college now so I would agree that $30k annually is about right if that includes tuition, books, lab fees and housing. I have a son who is an Industrial Arts in Motorsports major. His college's curriculum has only been in existance for a few years and I was blown away with the amount of equipment and teaching aides they had on his campus. I will say one thing, I guess I need to invest in more equipment if the all items on that list are needed in my restoration shop!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
early guy

Hi all,

Thank you for all of the interest. I will do my best to respond, and feel free to post more questions, comments and/or contact me directly. I am one of the professors in the Auto Restoration Program at McPherson College, and I am also a hobbiest so I appreciate your concerns.

Yes, our 'sticker price' is just under $30,000 per year, which is typical for a private 4-year institution. This includes room, board and tuition. We have very few lab fees. But, we also have approximately a 50% discount rate as well as many scholarships that are available to students. We receive little or no annual funding from the government, state or federal.

Yes, the program was started with cars and a donated endowment in 1976. Thirty-six years later, we still have the endowment (and use the interest each year) but most of the cars were sold soon after.

We are very fortunate to receive some cars, parts and literature which we do our best to put to good use, but most people that donate funding want to see it go directly to the students. Therefore, we have quite a few scholarships, but not enough money to buy or replace tools and equipment that gets used on a daily basis.

Respectfully,
Chris Paulsen
McPherson, KS
[email protected]
620-242-0569

Last edited by early guy; 11-20-2012 at 01:41 PM.
early guy is offline   Reply With Quote