Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
Smurkey

Default Wire-On Welt Question; Upholstery

Opinions Wanted

Should one use a fabric glue before closing a wire-on welt for upholstery? It seems that the welt may open up in an area where it is handled (ie. seat back).

Thoughts?
Smurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Bob/Kansas City

Default Re: Wire-On Welt Question; Upholstery

It shouldn't be necessary to use an adhesive on the welting on the seat backs. I just finished the seats in my Town Sedan and found that if you nail the welting about every two to three inches or maybe even a little closer on the curves it is tight.
When the welt is folded over be sure to flatten it with a rubber mallet. This will help to lock it in place and it creates a nice smooth line. Given reasonable treatment it should stay and not open up with use. Positioning the opening of the welt to the back may help to keep it from opening up.
Be sure to use tacks long enough for a good bite in the wood tack strip particularly if there are a lot of previous nail holes.
L B's instructions do not indicate a need for adhesive on the wire on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A seat.jpg (48.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Model A seat 2.jpg (82.3 KB, 83 views)
Bob/Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
chesapeake bill

Very nice job by Bob! I have a complete interior to do on my Murray town sedan. I am pretty handy and have the tools to do it, but my question is .. am I crazy to attempt it ... I am just trying not to have to spend a fortune on the restore by doing what I can myself. Opinions?
chesapeake bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Dal's Dream Car

Actually - LB has a little thing on YouTube about wire on welt. Google it and it should pop up. Hey Chesapeake; I am getting near completion on my 29 Tudor interior and you sound just like me, "pretty handy" but I never did an interior either. My advise; go for it. Take your time, use the this forum when you run into problems and have fun. Mine is not a show car, but I'm doing it from scratch. Love the way the interior is coming out.
Dal's Dream Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob/Kansas City View Post
It shouldn't be necessary to use an adhesive on the welting on the seat backs. I just finished the seats in my Town Sedan and found that if you nail the welting about every two to three inches or maybe even a little closer on the curves it is tight.
When the welt is folded over be sure to flatten it with a rubber mallet. This will help to lock it in place and it creates a nice smooth line. Given reasonable treatment it should stay and not open up with use. Positioning the opening of the welt to the back may help to keep it from opening up.
Be sure to use tacks long enough for a good bite in the wood tack strip particularly if there are a lot of previous nail holes.
Good call on the CLEAN rubber mallet. That is exactly the thing to do.

The opening of the wire-on should face the rear as suggested but there is another reason. Wire-on is designed in such a way that the small bead helps hide the raw cut edge of the installed fabric. Since the backrest cushion cover is the last layer installed the cut edge is to the rear. The folding edge does not hide anything very well by comparison.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
Smurkey

Chesapeake Bill,
I'm just about done with mine having never done anything like it before. I think you should go for it...the upholstery is the best looking part of my restoration. Of course I ordered a pre-done-up kit, no sewing for me.

Appreciate the thoughts. I had seen the LB vid and other instructions not using adhesive. Just looking for real-world advice. Two more days and I'll be taking it on the maiden voyage!!
Old 10-31-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
Smurkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob/Kansas City View Post
Bob,

How did the carpet "kick panel" adhere to the mohair. 3M spray glue? any problems?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
Bob/Kansas City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurkey View Post
Bob,

How did the carpet "kick panel" adhere to the mohair. 3M spray glue? any problems?
The carpeted kick panel came presewn to the back fabric from Le Baron Bonney.
When installing this assembly I used 3M super spray adhesive to attach thin foam to the metal seat back. The fabric, with the kick pad, is then tacked at the bottom and pulled up and around around tightly to the top of the back rest assembly and then tacked to the inside of the tack strip at the top.

This way there is not an extra cut seam on top of the tack strip when the back cushion cover is installed. This keeps cut edges from becoming too thick on top of the tack strip when the welt is applied and allows the welt to cover more easily.

The area directly under the carpeted kick panel does not have any foam applied to the back rest. This area under the kick panel is glued to the backrest with contact cement to hold it firmly in place.

Just a hint: Don't forget to install the upholstery buttons before tacking the back cushion cover to the tack strip at the top!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
Bob/Kansas City

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake bill View Post
Very nice job by Bob! I have a complete interior to do on my Murray town sedan. I am pretty handy and have the tools to do it, but my question is .. am I crazy to attempt it ... I am just trying not to have to spend a fortune on the restore by doing what I can myself. Opinions?
I'd say go for it yourself. It is not that difficult to do but it does take a little patience to fit everything up right, smoothe wrinkles etc. You have to keep thinking a couple of steps ahead as you work.

L B's instructions are pretty vague in areas but I referred to the Le Baron videos on You Tube several times for guidance and also spoke to Doug at L B to get some clarification on some things.
if you have any remaining old upholstery on the seats be sure to make notes or take pictures of how it was originally done.
I would be happy to answer any questions.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
Smurkey

Just finished today...not too shabby if I do say so myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0970[1].jpg (62.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 11-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
Smurkey

Well, I do have to finish around the windows yet...

Thanks to all for the input and advice!