Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
old as my truck

Talking sequrity issues

in my youth we would ocasionly take a model t coil hook a toogle switch and ground it to the body. many an unwelcome person would get a lesson on not touching someone elses car. Fire truck is reaching completion and with much polished brass and scrap prices what they are i am considering a sytem from my disapated pass any one with toughts or suggestions?
old as my truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
oldbugger

Default Re: sequrity issues

One of the worst pokes I ever got was when my Dad set me up to test our model T coils. Works great, better than an alarm.
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by old as my truck View Post
in my youth we would ocasionly take a model t coil hook a toogle switch and ground it to the body. many an unwelcome person would get a lesson on not touching someone elses car. Fire truck is reaching completion and with much polished brass and scrap prices what they are i am considering a sytem from my disapated pass any one with toughts or suggestions?
In your youth it was a little different than it is today, you're just laying yourself wide open for a lawsuit.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Lawson Cox

I know how you feel, but you cannot maintain a man trap on your property. I agree with 51 MERC-CT, a lawsuit in the making.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
oldford2

For those folks who worry about getting a fingerprint on their finish or having a little boy stand on their running board to peek inside, I have a suggestion: Keep your treasure in your garage and don't go to any car shows.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Vic Piano

I'm with you John. I just got home from a nice little road trip in the "39 LZ and spent the last 10 minutes cleaning bugs off the windshield, etc. Vic
Old 06-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
oldford2

Vic,
Aren't these old Fords fun to drive. Sorry to hear about those bugs.
John
Old 06-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Vic Piano

John, yes they are… especially when they're working correctly… You know what it's like down here... If you want to drive em, you've got to deal with the bugs... That's why I don't ride a motorcycle...LOL
Old 06-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
flathead4rd

I hope they wern't those so called "love bugs". What a mess the first time I ran into them.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
G.M.

Vic, How bad are the love bugs over there. I have a V/8 friend comming down on the auto train Thursday and was going to warn him if they if the are bad. I only saw a few over on this side a few weeks ago. 51 and Lawaon, I had exactly the same thought. They would be lined up for their turn toget shocked. There are plenty of Lawyers with TV adds waiting down here. G.M.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
For those folks who worry about getting a fingerprint on their finish or having a little boy stand on their running board to peek inside, I have a suggestion: Keep your treasure in your garage and don't go to any car shows.
John
I do not agree with you whatsoever. Why can't I take my car to a show and expect folks to look with their eyes only? I was taught if it isn't mine, don't touch.
So you are telling me I should stay home, keep my cars locked up simply because some idiot(s) have not been taught to respect others property?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
oldford2

So you are telling me I should stay home, keep my cars locked up simply because some idiot(s) have not been taught to respect others property?

Yup, That's right Kube. If you think those idiots are out there,
John
Old 06-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
19Fordy

Isn't it still up to parents to teach their kids to have respect for other people's property and lead by example?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
Vic, How bad are the love bugs over there. I have a V/8 friend comming down on the auto train Thursday and was going to warn him if they if the are bad. I only saw a few over on this side a few weeks ago. 51 and Lawaon, I had exactly the same thought. They would be lined up for their turn toget shocked. There are plenty of Lawyers with TV adds waiting down here. G.M.
George, the love-bugs have not been too bad and it's just about the end of their season but there were still lot of unidentified bug splats on the LZ windshield...
Old 06-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
Vic Piano

John & KUBE,
I agree (to a point) with each of your positions and, as a result, find myself impaled on the horns of a dilemma... John, as you must know, KUBE, (by his own admission) builds "high point" restorations, and from what I've seen, they are stunning automobiles so I don't blame him for his position and I agree with him that people should respect others property. However, I also understand and agree with you that our cars are meant to be driven and displayed at car shows so that others can enjoy them. John, you and I get more pleasure out of driving our cars and sharing our enjoyment with others, both enthusiast and curiosity seekers alike but again, I agree with KUBE in that people should respect others property, "high point" or daily driver... That's why I keep a spray bottle of quick detailer and a rag in the trunk when I go to car shows...
Vic
Old 06-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #16
B-O-B

Well someone explain to me why museums have ropes & keep you hands to yourself signs all over the place & tell parents to hang onto their childrens hands. Big majority of the people that handle cars wear gloves also even B J workers. If I say it's OK then It's OK but I better be the sayin it's OK.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #17
Cecil/WV

Even though the kids should be taught by the parents to not touch what isn't theirs, that doesn't happen, so you do take your car out at your own risk. I, for one, am willing to take that risk. Why else would I have the car??
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #18
alan

I was at a car show standing about 25 feet away from my truck, looked over and saw a senior adult, who knows better, take out his hanky,wipe off my fender and then proceed to sit on it!! I was floored, I do drive my car and truck and "bugs on the grill" is my mantra, but really!!-I chewed him out but good but did not to raise my voice. I will let adults and children open the doors, sit in it and will answer any question--IF they ask first..
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #19
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post

Yup, That's right Kube. If you think those idiots are out there,
John
I don't think those idiots are out there. I know they are.
Your comment contained herein proves my point.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #20
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
John & KUBE,
I agree (to a point) with each of your positions and, as a result, find myself impaled on the horns of a dilemma... John, as you must know, KUBE, (by his own admission) builds "high point" restorations, and from what I've seen, they are stunning automobiles so I don't blame him for his position and I agree with him that people should respect others property. However, I also understand and agree with you that our cars are meant to be driven and displayed at car shows so that others can enjoy them. John, you and I get more pleasure out of driving our cars and sharing our enjoyment with others, both enthusiast and curiosity seekers alike but again, I agree with KUBE in that people should respect others property, "high point" or daily driver... That's why I keep a spray bottle of quick detailer and a rag in the trunk when I go to car shows...
Vic
I have all the respect in the world for the folks that drive their cars. If that's the primary way they enjoy them... good for them.
Me? I enjoy the restoration process more then driving the auto. Good for me.
The bottom line of this topic can be boiled down pretty simply. Folks need to respect others property.
I don't care if a guy is showing of his ratty '73 Impala. it is HIS '73 Impala and as such I have no right to handle it. In fact I have the responsibility to NOT touch it.
I am always willing to share my vehicles with those that ask "may I?"
I had a guy at Dearborn allow his very young (6ish) daughter with ice cream cone in hand, climb up on the running board of my freshly restored '40 convertible. Momentarily I was stuck in a surreal moment.
While I can understand this guy had no concept of the efforts required to obtain body / paint to that degree, I can't excuse his ignorance to allow his daughter to touch another's property.