Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
pbishop

Default Seafoam

Has anyone run Seafoam in their Model A gas tank too deal with carbon build-up? What do you guys recommend in this regard?
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Rich in Tucson

Default Re: Seafoam

In my opinion, Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil are simply more sources of (harder to burn) carbon and will only make carbon buildup worse. Carbon buildup occurs no matter what in a Model A engine, but is accelerated by over-rich fuel conditions and those must be corrected to slow the process down.

That said, both if used conservatively have value as top end or "magnetic" oils and adhere to hot spots where normal engine oils burn off.

A common service way back when was physical de-carbonizing usually done in conjunction with a valve or valve and ring job. At some point, a process was developed to introduce and ignite pure oxygen in the combustion chamber to consume the carbon but I think that was about as safe as the lead-spraying guns used in body work and was quickly abandoned.
Rich in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
Roadster Rich

Seafoam is mostly used to keep from the moisture absorption of the ethanol in the gas. It also ties up some of the ethanol chemicals that are so damaging to some plastics. Look up the problems ethanol caused in boats with plastic gas tanks and gas lines and you will understand just how nasty this stuff can be.

I use Seafoam in my gas that is used for every 2 cycle item I own. I also used to put in in my Model A gas, but now have found an ethanol free gas and use that instead. I think that if you use ethanol gas in your A, and leave the gas sitting for some time, you must use something that helps to keep the ethanol from absorbing moisture. Seafoam is only one of the products that will work.
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
JimK1930A

The only time I use Sea Foam is when I store my car for the winter.
JimK1930A is offline   Reply With Quote