Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Malcolm Robertson

Default Just Installed Shortened Pitman Arm

This morning I installed a shortened pitman arm and went for a ride----I think I like the steering better but I have a question. I now have a lot more play in the steering wheel before it engages, did I miss doing something? Is there something I should tighten up?

I always appreciate your advice and help.
Malcolm Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Keith True

Default Re: Just Installed Shortened Pitman Arm

As long as you have the end of the drag link adjusted properly,and have the pitman arm tight on the sector shaft I think you have other problems.The shorter pitman arm will amplify your perception of play in the wheel as it gives quicker feedback.And,after any work is done you are looking for anything different,it may be doing things it always did but you were used to them.The thing that makes me think you have other problems is when you say,I THINK the steering is different.If the box is right,the kingpins are right,and the balls,springs,and seats are right and adjusted,the difference is night and day.A lot of people try to use the shortened arm as a magic bullet to fix tight steering,but it does not replace worn metal in the kingpins,steering box,and balls.Have somebody wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the pitman arm.If it moves up and down at all there is the place to start.Kingpins you can shake and see if they are loose.The steering balls and seats have to be taken apart and looked at to determine how worn they are.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Malcolm Robertson

Keith -

I want to Thank You for your detailed answer to my question. I appreciate your suggestions and will start looking everything over tomorrow. Guy's like you make this such a great hobby and interesting web site.
Malcolm Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
glenn in camino

Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the pitman where it connects to the steering shaft. If the shaft moves before the pitman arm moves, tighten the bolt.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote