Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen
Default engine paint

How close is model a green to a 27 t motor
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Greg Jones

Default Re: engine paint

Well, FWIW, I kinda sorta researched this when I was restoring my 26 and never came to a documented conclusion based on solid information from the Ford Archives. (Of couse I never actually LOOKED in the Ford Archives, either.) Having said that and just from looking at original parts with the paint still on the engine parts, I believe that the 26/27 engine green was a much darker, more olive drab'ish than the Model A green. And applied very, very thinly not like the heavy spray coats we put on nowadays. The caveat to this statement is that there are a number of varieties of Model A engine green on the market. Some are greenish-bluish, some are olive drab'ish, etc. Bert's Model A in Denver sells what I consider to be the correct Model A engine paint and it is on the olive-drab'ish side. It is very similar to what I observed on the Model T 26/27 original parts. (This posting makes me sound like an interior decorator! However I did color printing professionally so I am fussy about colors.)
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Greg Jones

I should have said "I believe that the 26/27 engine green was a much darker, more olive drab'ish than the TYPICAL Model A green" (which I find to be bluish in tint except for Bert's Model A paint).
Old 01-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
[email protected]

Is this a continuation of the conversation we had on engine paint about a week ago? I'm wondering because I don't know if that thread came to a conclusion to the question. I think the concensus was that now one is absolutely sure but that string had some really good information in it.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
[email protected]

I took the liberty of copying this from the other thread. I hope I'm not stepping too hard on anyone's toes by doing this. It seems to have some great information in it.

The name of the thread is: "My 1925 tudor project thread". I think the engine color discussion starts about 2/3 of the way down on the 2nd page.

The person who was responsible for the post was "Jack Innes".

"Bruice McCauley did a lot of research for his book & the following is his take on engine painting. The bottom line looks like most engines were bare metal, some were lightly painted black & some of the "Improved cars" were moleskin. No mention of green.
PAINTINGExposed parts of Model T Fords were generally painted the body color. Early red cars, for example, had red fenders, aprons, hoods, running boards, axles, and wheels. The same is true of the Brewster Green and blue cars but here these is some question. Since these greens and blues were extremely dark, if not black, it is often difficult to determine if the parts were the body color or actually black paint. The consensus is that the above parts were originally the body color, not black.

Nuts, bolts, and small assemblies which could be seen easily, were also painted, even though such parts were installed after the painting process. Ford had people with paint and brush in hand to “touch up” such parts. While there may be exceptions, all exposed pieces were painted, and this includes the cotter keys in these pieces.
Engines, engine pans, and splash shields (at the side of the engine) may or may not have been painted. Again, the consensus is that many engines were not painted but that some were painted in a very thin black during the Model T era. Late 1926 and 1927 engines were painted Moleskin, at least at the main factory. Even here, though, there were exceptions. Engine pans follow the same pattern. The dust shields were probably painted body color in the early years, and black through 1927. Floor boards were generally not painted but may have been given a coat of linseed oil or similar.
Indeed, there are no hard and fast rules on what was and what was not painted on any Model T. There were too many variations.

ENGINE PAINTING1927In Walter T. Fishleigh's files in Accession 94 at the Ford Archives there is a memo dated July 26, 1926 entitled: “Finish For Model T Motors”. It lists the finish to be put on each of the exposed parts of the motor.

Black Pyroxlylin used on:
Transmission Cover
Starter Motor
Generator
Crankcase
Commutator
Black Graphite Paint used on:
Exhaust Manifold and Carburetor
Black Enamel used on:
Breather Cap
Commutator Retainer Spring
Manifold Clamps
Nickel Plate used on:
Cylinder Head Cap Screws
Spark Plug caps and Thumb Nuts
Spark Plug Wire Terminals
Coil Box Terminal Bolts and Nuts
Water Connection Cap Screws
Manifold Cap Screws
Bright Zinc Plate used on:
Cut Out Cover
Moleskin Pyroxylin used on:
Cylinder
Cylinder Head
Generator Bracket
Front Cover
Air Intake and Manifold
(signed) C. W. Avery"

Last edited by [email protected]; 01-04-2012 at 02:25 PM.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Greg Jones

Sorry, I don't spend a whole lot of time on the forum and kind of in and out so did not realize this had already been beaten to death. Was just tossing out my personal observation, again FWIW. And it comes with a money-back guarantee.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
tmodelman

This cut-away display T engine at the Henry Ford museum, (27 with vaporizer carb), has most likely the original 'moleskin' color on the block and head. The normal 26-27 would have black slush paint on the engine. The later 27 when the vaporizer was std were painted that moleskin green/drab color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cutaway Late T engine1.jpg (77.1 KB, 78 views)
tmodelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
t42

I don't mean to confuse the issue, as it has already been beaten to death, but I am looking at the "Model T Ford" book by Bruce McCalley, 1994 edition. He states that the "Late 1926 and 1927 engines were painted Drake Green, at least at the main factory. Even here though, there were exceptions." I have two original engines ('26 & late '27) that are deep green in color. They came out of numbers matching coupes. And what is the main factory? They (T's) were produced in 32 cities and overseas. If you like moleskin paint it that way. If you like green, paint it that way. Todays paints are not even close to what they used back in the day. No hard fast rules on this topic, so do what works best for you. Good luck!
t42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
fordman67

I do love a good debate......keep up the good work.
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

thanks guys for all the information i did not search this so sorry for hatching up old news but love the information o hell sometimes I tell the same story twice thanks again
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
tmodelman

The latest info is about the same in Bruce's CD version, this is the updated 'book'.
Agree with the "late '26-'27 engines" painted green, either Drake or Moleskin.

Bruce's CD lists the date of the Ford memo as Sept 3 1926 and ref. the parts painted, including the 6254 mixing chamber for the Vaproizer carb. The other ref is Fishlieigh file letter dated July 24 1926 giving paint info to be used on the engine parts.

All the dates above are '1927' model year T's with std at that time Vaporizer carbs. Ford model year Aug1 to July31. The green engine color, what ever shade you like, is painted on only the 1927 model year Ford.
tmodelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
redmodelt

I guess if I were a mole living underground in the damp earth my brown fur would have a green tint to if from the dampness! So I guess you get yourself a mole and match the color, of course the next one you get could differ some.
Unless you are going to show the car you might paint it what you like. The next person can change it unless of course you paint it John Deer Green.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
yachtsmanbill

Or Caterpillar yellow... ws

yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #14
redmodelt

While I do like John Deer Green it just reminds me of that country song where he painted her name on the water tower and no mater how many times it was painted over it still shown through When I redo my 21 the block and head will be painted, a nice dawn gray. To comment on the Model A green, depends on the batch. Some batches are more to the gray side and others are to the green. Good point to remember, when you buy paint get what you need plus a little extra and check the date codes. The next batch may be a little different shade.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
John Otis

Send a message via AIM to John Otis Send a message via Yahoo to John Otis

Many years ago we had the opportunity to examine a brand new 1924 Touring in a chicken coop in upstate NY. Guy had bought it and got so terrified on the drive home that he parked it in the shed and never drove it again. It was in remarkable condition. It was also a great reference of what production cars were like back then. The paint was full of runs, the upholstery tacking job was not good. What we now refer to as "fit and finish" didn't exist. Anyway we looked it all over and I don't think the engine or engine splash shields were ever painted at all.
John Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #16
ljbohlen

If you wanted fit and finish back in those days from Ford you bought a Lincoln Model L not a Flivver.

Of Course you could buy what??? Ten Model T's for the price of the one Model L?
ljbohlen is offline   Reply With Quote