Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
harleyjj

Default think I got my soon to be father-in-law hooked on A's

So last week I get my '30 Tudor sedan up and running for the first time in three or four years and decide to go for a spin.

Took my fiancee for her first ride in the A over to her parents house for a while. My soon to be Father-in-law had mentioned to me a while back when I told him that I had a model A that his dad had one when he was in highschool, and his dad used to cruise it to a place called Bills Drive-in in Ypsilanti MI.

here comes the fun part!

So I load my 8yr old son, Dave, and our neighbor Ernie into the model A and off to Bills we go. The car ran flawlessly for our little trip! we had a fantastic time and Ernie and Dave really enjoyed learning more about the car and how everything on it worked. We enjoyed a few too many coney dogs at Bill's and Dave really got a kick out of telling the owner of the drive in about how his Dad used to drive his model A there in the '40's.

It was my sons first time to Bill's and Dave also enjoyed telling him how he and his dad had come to Bill's many times when he was my sons age.

After driving around for a little while I dropped everyone off at home, picked up my Bride to be and headed home. (after driving around and taking some great pictures by a couple of the historic buildings in our home town of Salem MI)

This is where it really gets neat!

Later that evening I get a call from Dave telling me that he called his Dads brother to tell him about his model A adventure. His brother informed him on the history of his dads model A. It seems that his grandfather purchased the car new and after driving it for many years handed it down to his son (Dave's dad). I believe it passed to another family member in the '50s but no one seems sure where it wound up after that.

The real coincidence is that his family's A was also a 1930 Tudor sedan! The same year and body style as mine. His uncle is trying to locate any paperwork and photos of their families A to share with me.

Unfortunately Dave's dad passed away a couple of years ago, before I started courting Samantha or I would have surley taken himfor a spin in the car too.

Plans for the near future are to take his uncle for a spin.

Last night over dinner her dad tells me that he would really like to have a model A just like his Grandfather and Father owned some day. I have a funny feeling that there is an A in his future soon!
harleyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Russell in Tulsa

Default Re: think I got my soon to be father-in-law hooked on A's

Take it back and let him drive it with your lady along for the ride also. I think you'll suck him into this hobby we enjoy so much. Suggest he get a driver or better and not a basket case for his first one so you both can tour or just attend the meetings together.
Have him join the national clubs so he will receive the magazines before he gets the car. Or better yet sign him up without his knowing about it and the arrival of his books would be a welcome surprise. Good luck in your future marriage.
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
harleyjj

Russell,

Thanks for the ideas! I tried to let Dave drive it but at 6'5" he had some issues squeezing behind the wheel!
Old 10-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
RcT

Just a suggestion, but I would guess the 30-31 Tudors would be one of the easiest models for relocating the driver's seat. Maybe the others can chime in here, but I am 5-11, and did some alterations on my '29 coupe. The pick-ups are limited for legroom. I agree with Russell, look for a running driver, maybe an older restoration, and check it out for seat modifications.
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
harleyjj

I am actually thinking of selling him my Tudor when he is ready and getting myself a pick up. My dad had a Hubley roadster pickup model on his desk when I was a kid and I always wanted one. Plus it would come in handy on my property!
Old 10-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
peters180a/170b

MY NEW SON -IN-LAW[will be home with the rest of the troops in Dec.] and daughter has their eye's on my 180A...MY new father -in-law is into Vette's..So i am safe for now...l.o.l.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
RcT

Iowa is not that far from Minnesota, is it? Please check out my thread "Save this car"...
only $6500 and your Father-n-law is set.
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
willobs

That rings a bell. In the 60s and 70s I had a Dog N Suds Drive in just down the street from Bills and had Model As then. But now live in Florida. In the 40s Bills was owned by Bill Bristol new him well.
willobs is offline   Reply With Quote