Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
Rustytford

Default 28 Briggs Fordor

I am rewooding My early briggs fordor sedan. I am to the point of constructing the support for the front seat cushion. This section was completely rotted away so I have nothing to follow for patterns. If someone could post a picture of whats under the front seat it would be of great help. Looked thru back issues of the restorer. But have been unable to see whats under the cushion. This car does not have a moveable seat. I am going to order springs once I recover from sticker shock. May have to go with some nice milk crates. Thanks for any help you can provide. Trying to attach some pictures.
Rustytford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
29FordGuy

Default Re: 28 Briggs Fordor

Here is the springs frame that I rebuilt for mine based on the actual old wood frame. This is for a TS but they should be the same. Also, it is an adjustable seat. Pictures of your seat would help. If this shoe looks like it will fit I can remove it take the dimensions/pattern for you. Let me know...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FORD_376 4x6.jpg (51.1 KB, 40 views)
29FordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
1930artdeco

Rustyford,

I have that same piece for my 30 Briggs TS in my shed. I can take pics and measurements for if you would like. However, being a 30 I am not sure if they would be the same.

Mike
Old 07-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
Rustytford

Thanks for the replies, The picture is very helpful. It gives me an idea of what the seat frame is suppose to look like. But I also need to know what supports the seat frame. The front seat is adjustable on the T/S. I belive it's a metal frame? Mine is a 28 with non-adjustable seat. I am guessing wooden supports. Synder's lists different type springs for both the Town Sedan and 28 Briggs Leather back. Still trying to attach pictures. If its not to much trouble I could use the measurements as a starting point.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
29FordGuy

If your seat is not adjustable then it seems that it should be attached to a metal riser. I assume you have the backrest? I would think that it would be the same only the TS is attached to two sliders. I have a friend that has a 28 Fordoor that I will see probably this next Sunday. I will try to take a look to see how his is done. I will get back to you unless you get an answer in the mean time.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Dick Carne

My understanding is that there were four or five different front seats used on Briggs fordors over the four-year span of production, and for that reason, I'm not sure that you can rely on an adjustable seat wood pattern for a fixed-seat version. If I'm not terribly mistaken, on the earlier models, the seat back was tied in to the center door post, somewhat like those on station wagons. Just to be sure, I think I would recommend checking with the folks at Lebaron Bonney, as they also have a technical expert on staff who could provide you with better clarification. Good luck with your project.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
Rustytford

Thanks for the advice. My front backrest attaches to the center door pillars. There are brackets on each side. Spoke to the folks at Lebaron Bonny today. The seat parts on a 60A are different from that of the Town Sedan. The T/S has a adjustable carriage assembly that slides in tracks. Mine is fixed. My seat riser is supposed to be wood. My thoughts at this point is to put the steering column back is the car, Climb in and design a seat that is comfortable to me. Hopfully the 29FordGuy will see his friend with the 28 Fordor this weekend. Thanks to all who have replied.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
29FordGuy

Well I asked my friend about his front seat since he did not drive it to the picnic and to my surprise he said he had a tudor. My mistake. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you (had to find the old thread). Hope you can figure it out. Good luck!