Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2024, 05:42 PM   #1
Thodge

Default Radius Rod Mount Identification

In trying to diagnose my car’s wandering problem, I found huge amounts of play in the front radius rod mount. Not surprising. The hardware is very loose. Trouble is, I can’t tell if if they are original style cups that are missing the springs and spacers or if they are the different design to use the rubber ball. Can anyone tell by the photo which type it is? Also, assuming it has the rubber ball, am I stuck with that style unless I drop the transmission to replace with original bolts? Or are the bolts the same?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5948.jpg (37.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5947.jpg (38.0 KB, 57 views)
Thodge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 06:17 PM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Radius Rod Mount Identification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thodge View Post
In trying to diagnose my car’s wandering problem, I found huge amounts of play in the front radius rod mount. Not surprising. The hardware is very loose. Trouble is, I can’t tell if if they are original style cups that are missing the springs and spacers or if they are the different design to use the rubber ball. Can anyone tell by the photo which type it is? Also, assuming it has the rubber ball, am I stuck with that style unless I drop the transmission to replace with original bolts? Or are the bolts the same?
That appears to be the aftermarket rubber ball set-up. The original type is sheet metal.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 10:40 AM   #3
Steve Schmauch

Your picture shows you have an aftermarket set up. The original style works better. There is likely two problems here. First, the wishbone ball is probably worn and might very well need to be restored back to its original round shape. Second, the two bolts that hold this unit have very likely worn the softer cast iron bell housing. I am sure that if you disconnect your wishbone you will find a lot of slop! These should be almost a slip fit when new. The bell housing holes will need to be repaired. I use bronze bushings to repair.

Watch out for the reproduction bolts. The special head recess for the rod that holds them in place is more shallow than the original bolt heads. Easy to deepen. Make sure you replace or use an oil soaked piece of felt in that area to help lubricate the ball...
Steve Schmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 11:35 AM   #4
Thodge

Well this could get complicated quickly. When I was checking the movement of the radius rod, I didn’t notice the bolts moving much so I’m hoping it’s just a case of the nuts rattling loose and the rubber ball deteriorating. I’ll probably take it apart to inspect and temporarily put a new rubber ball on it and see what happens. I’m sure something else will go wrong elsewhere that will necessitate removing the transmission at some point so I’ll probably wait and address it properly then. No worries about getting enough lubrication on the ball. This thing leaks oil like Jed Clampett used it for target practice.
Thodge is online now   Reply With Quote