Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2023, 04:10 AM   #1
dave in australia

Default Multi plate clutch service part

A few years ago, I mentioned in a post about a service part replacement for the outer splines of a multi plate clutch, where the old splines were machined off and a new spline hub bolted on. I was asked for photos. Well, I finally got around to digging out the flywheel and took some photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg multi 01.jpg (67.1 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg multi 04.jpg (65.8 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg multi 05.jpg (58.0 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg multi06.jpg (64.2 KB, 128 views)
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 09:33 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Multi plate clutch service part

From a machining standpoint, that would be much easier than trying to repair a worn out set of internal splines. It could also be installed on about any type of flywheel that would work with the starter. The Able type starter drive and it's Bendix type replacement are about as rare as those early disk type flywheels. If it works with the later type flywheel then that would kill two birds with one stone.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:36 AM   #3
Bob C

Was this from Ford or aftermarket? I looked in the Ford Service Letters and
didn't see any mention of this service.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 12:18 PM   #4
Gene F

I do not recall my multidisc flywheel as being a two-piece unit...
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 01:50 PM   #5
rotorwrench

They never were. AT least not from Ford. Some machine shop made that set up. They could have used a shaper machine to cut the splines.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:20 AM   #6
dave in australia

This is from an Australian car. I'm not sure if it was a part available through Australian Ford dealers. It is not listed in my 1929 original parts catalogue. I have to dig out my 1948 Fast moving parts catalogue to see if it is listed in that. I've spoken to a few Victorian club members, and none of them have come across anything similar. It may be something a machine shop made. I was wondering if anyone outside of Australia has seen something similar. Must investigate more.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 04:18 PM   #7
cristeven

I'm pretty impressed with this repair i must say. I'm considering something similar for my car, however i'm not sure how much damage to the splines would justify it.
cristeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 06:14 PM   #8
rotorwrench

When they get so worn that there are steps in the splines that hang up the plates would be the time to do something.
Old 11-11-2023, 09:12 AM   #9
cristeven

Yes RotorWrench - I've got something along those lines in my car now. I'd like to share photos and start a new thread but it says i have to post 10 times before i'm allowed to share images! I guess i'll keep looking around the forums for silly comments to make before being allowed to share the details.
Old 11-11-2023, 10:24 AM   #10
Joe K

IIRC, the splines tend to wear from one end "in" to the other. And most of the wear will occur at one side of the stack.

Even this "adaptation" is showing the grooves/wear.

And - it's possible to "leave out" a disk adjacent to the groove (spacer required) and operate on nine disks, or possibly even eight. The clutch was SEVERELY over designed by Ford.

Currently there is a multidisk clutch flywheel and the associated transmission for sale in Natick MA for $75. Parts of the clutch stack are missing, however. And its hard to know from the craigslist pix how far worn this spline flywheel is.

I confess to being a single disk clutch man and five spare transmission cases are enough.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 11-11-2023 at 10:32 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 01:38 PM   #11
Joe K

Quote:
Currently there is a multidisk clutch flywheel and the associated transmission for sale in Natick MA for $75. Parts of the clutch stack are missing, however. And its hard to know from the craigslist pix how far worn this spline flywheel is.
Just back from Natick, MA. 1hr. 18 minutes - with Route 128 call it almost two hours.

It's been a while since I've driven that road - not that it has changed much. (crowded)

And yes, I have the Tranny/clutch in the back of my truck.

Facebook pix. (This link may not last)

Item is rusty - like it had been stored under a barn or garage. But all there. No E-brake (i.e. Ebrake to Left of driver)

I'm not sure why I picked this up: more curiosity than anything methinks.

But, it will go through the "process" and I'll bring back what I can and at least make it "presentable."

The flywheel grooves actually look pretty good. I'm not seeing the typical wear pattern.

About the Seller: son-in-law is closing out the FIL's "estate." FIL was a repair shop owner/manager who retired perhaps 20 years ago and is passed. During his driving career he owned and appreciated Model A. His shop is basically as he left it - except for the things which have been sold/removed already.

I would guess the Model A stuff perhaps 20 percent of the total remaining. MANY interesting things and some obvious "works in progress" like a box 3/4 full of Model A/B zenith carbs, all disassembled. No body parts except a pair of Model AA (probably) "shortie" running boards. (used on the flat bed version)

Seller would like to have someone offer some sum and take away all the Model A stuff. There is another 20 percent which is Ford V8. And the remaining stuff seems mostly Ford but from my lifetime (i.e. 1955 plus)

He's talking about getting in touch with a local Model A club. I mentioned "Minutemen" who are within half an hour of this shop. The Seller may know someone in that club.

BUT - this one is the "conundrum" - what do you do when your parts and evidence of your interest outlive you? Do you have an "exit plan?"

As the Seller says "Probably most of this will end up in a dumpster."

Edit: I've seen the FIL's obituary. Nothing to apologize for here. A fine human. And his children/issue are his paying it forward.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 11-16-2023 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2023, 06:27 PM   #12
Gene F

The dumpster thing is reality from time-to-time, wheather we like it or not. Every time I try to sell something it's an aggrivating experience. I have had some luck giving away parts to guys in my local chapter that were needed at the present time to get their car going again. That always makes me feel good.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 07:40 PM   #13
cristeven

Joe, is there any way that I could buy this from you? Natick said he would hold it for me but you got there first😒. I’ve got a down car in need.
Old 11-16-2023, 08:25 PM   #14
Keith True

Kind of hard for somebody to hold something for somebody that's 1900 miles away when a local guy will stop by,pay cash,throw it in his truck and drive off.I will have a complete setup to get rid of by spring,I am going to change my 28 phaeton to single disc.I really never cared for the slightly different driving techniques needed to operate the multi disc setup.I will never get involved in shipping heavy parts again though.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 08:41 PM   #15
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeven View Post
Joe, is there any way that I could buy this from you? Natick said he would hold it for me but you got there first��. I’ve got a down car in need.

PM'ed you.

Flywheel 63lbs
Multi-disk 12lbs
Bell Housing 8 lbs
Transmission 115lbs.

Any transmission can mate up to the multi-disk setup providing the input shaft is correct for the mating. Converse true too.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 11-16-2023 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:16 PM   #16
Keith True

Joe the case needs to be machined,drilled and tapped to convert from multi to single.There are no holes in the front to bolt on the bearing retainer/throwout bearing tube.It's easier to just change the case.I have an early trans opened up right now to steal the gears out of it.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 09:23 PM   #17
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
Joe the case needs to be machined,drilled and tapped to convert from multi to single.

Thank you. That front bearing retainer. I had the "dimensionality" in mind - not the accommodations.

Lest we be accused of leading someone astray.

Joe K