Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2023, 10:12 PM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 46 Ford Coupe Groans upon deceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Thinking it was the transmission (and it still may be) I kinda thought this might be a good excuse to go T-5 as the vehicle is far from stock anyway. Since the driveline is open, should I be able to diagnose the rear differential by movement in the rear yoke?

The only problem with this is that if you ever go over to the T5, you'll NEVER GO BACK! You'll be wanting to change-over every one of your vehicles to T5.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:29 PM   #22
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
The only problem with this is that if you ever go over to the T5, you'll NEVER GO BACK! You'll be wanting to change-over every one of your vehicles to T5.

Coop

Coop, I have a feeling you are correct. With my favorite tall tires the 1st gear is never low enough on my hill. I'm gonna waltz down to the shop in my slippers and see if I have play in the rear yoke. Maybe start a new thread of my own. Stay tuned....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 11:12 PM   #23
GB SISSON

There is No play at all on the rear yoke. The front one has some play, maybe up and down less than 1/8". But... the front yoke where it goes into the tranny shows about 1 7/8" of machined surface before the actual U-joint part. Even with this heavy wood body and all the ruts and potholes in my road, only the first 1/4"is clean and shiny from moving in and out of the seal. Is my driveshaft way too short? When I bought the truck it had no engine, transmission or drive shaft. I can't remember where I got the one that's in it. I will get a photo tomorrow. I hope the issue is the transmission because I know I'd like the T-5 swap. Then I can bolt it to the 255 I intend to build over the winter. I had the virgin 4" crank ground 4 years ago and have collected most everything else I need including a bunch of good blocks. First of all I will need to know how to narrow down what I'm dealing with. I guess I will start a thread in the morning. Thanks, GB
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 11-01-2023, 11:39 PM   #24
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Coop, I have a feeling you are correct. With my favorite tall tires the 1st gear is never low enough on my hill. I'm gonna waltz down to the shop in my slippers and see if I have play in the rear yoke. Maybe start a new thread of my own. Stay tuned....

In view of what you're saying here, I'll go out on a limb here and "talk-up" the S-10 T5, which I never do otherwise. The majority of the S-10 T5s have a 4.03 1st gear. In my opinion, a situation like yours with the hills is the only place that the S-10 version of this trans is useful. Otherwise, that 1st gear is almost useless on a normal street-driven car. I normally suggest using the V8 Camaro close-ratio gearset which has a 2.95 1st gear. I'll "stay tuned" for your new thread, helping with ANY tech advice if I may.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 02:19 PM   #25
Als48

GB, It occurred to me that your ratcheting sound could be a bad U-Joint. I'm sure you've heard those go bad over the years, tho. It sounds like you might need a little more engagement of the front yoke into the transmission, which might allow the U-Joint to go bad.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 02:59 PM   #26
troubadour85

What happened to antique auto ranch there in Spokane Valley? I leved there years ago and that's who did all of my gear work.
troubadour85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 09:32 PM   #27
GB SISSON

I want to try to pinpoint where the sound comes from and more about it's characteristics before I start taking things apart. But alas, we had a very rainy day today and I don't take the woodie out in the rain. I spent the day working on my engine shop, a 10'x28' area alongside my garage. I will include some pics when I start the new thread.