Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2023, 05:49 PM   #1
bssmnbll

Default 50 merc hop up

550 merc 4 bolt carb with bubba distributor
bssmnbll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 05:50 PM   #2
bssmnbll

Default Re: 50 merc hop up

What carb to replace holly with
Old 10-29-2023, 06:28 PM   #3
38 coupe

Your initial post doesn't provide much information. What type of distributor worked on by Bubba? What other modifications to the engine? What are you trying to achieve with the change?
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 09:46 AM   #4
bssmnbll

I have an accelerator pump lag that haven’t been able to work out, and a thinking of changing carb and distributor. I sent the carb to a member in NY a couple of years ago, but still have problem so am looking for the correct Rochester carb to purchase and then get a Bubba distributor.
Old 10-30-2023, 10:32 AM   #5
tubman

A couple of things. First, "Bubba" is retired and is no longer doing distributors. See EDIT Second if the "member in NY" you are referring to is Charlie Schwendler ("CharlieNY"), your distributor is just fine (if it's not, I'm sure he'll make it right for you). Third, the carburetor you are probably referring to is a small base Rochester 2G. They are great carburetors and work fine on a flathead when used with a bored out Mercury manifold. If mounted backwards, the throttle linkage and fuel line fall right into place. The choke, however works backwards and is complicated to hook up. I am running these carburetors on a couple of engines and have chosen to use the automatic choke actuation. If you match the Mercury manifold to the carburetor type, the choke linkage falls into place as well. Since both the Mercury and Chevrolets came with either "divorced" (choke mechanism on the manifold) or "regular" chokes (choke mechanism on the carburetor) it is important to match the carb to the manifold.

Small base Rochester 2G's are getting hard to find lately, especially if you are trying to match chokes. Incidentally, you want a 2G of of a Chevrolet as they have side fuel inlets, while the other GM products usually have the fuel inlet on the front of the carb.

Because of the scarcity of the proper Rochester carburetor, there is another possibility. You can have your original carb rebuilt by user "Scicala" on this forum. It is my understanding that he is a wizard with these Holley carburetors.

EDIT : Oops, I read your post too fast. Strike anything I said about the distributor, as I see now you sent your carburetor to "the member in NY". However Charlie Schwendler is now the "go to guy" for 8BA distributors (both stock and GM conversions). Also, if he is the one who did your carburetor, I would talk to him about it, as he always stands behind his work.

Last edited by tubman; 10-30-2023 at 11:02 AM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:13 PM   #6
bssmnbll

Thanks, Tubman, for the info. The car has been sitting too much, got to get it back on the road!
Old 11-01-2023, 09:40 PM   #7
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssmnbll View Post
Thanks, Tubman, for the info. The car has been sitting too much, got to get it back on the road!
If it's the one in your avatar, I wholeheartedly agree.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote