Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2023, 07:25 PM   #1
jhaase

Default Door guide & rod

Hi all, I have a 54 Crestline, 4 dr, on the drivers door, the bushings on the spring-loaded guide to hold the door half or fully open are shot. I see the complete guide assembly is spot welded to the door skin & not removable to rebuild. Has anyone ever tried to replace the bushings or complete guide assembly? Or do I have to replace the complete door??
Any ideas??

Thank You!
jhaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 08:16 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Door guide & rod

The door check-arm is removeable, but the rivet that holds the check arm to the hinge-end of the door jamb is real hard to get out.
I can remember trying to drill a hole in the bottom of the rivet and trying to crush the bottom of the pin enough to get it out of the bracket on the front jamb. But once you get that rivet out, the check-arm can be removed from inside the door.
Get a flashlight and inspect the rollers to see if they are okay. I think there is a cotter pin of sorts holding the rollers to a bracket inside the door. Make sure that pin isn't bent. clean and lubricate the rollers.
Compare that check arm to the passenger side check arm to see if thew driver side check arm isn't worn too much to hold the door open.
Be careful to make a sketch showing how all the parts go back during dis-assembly.
If you ruin the rivet that holds the check arm to the hinge-side of the jamb, new rivets are available from repro parts suppliers, but they have a c-clip at the bottom so you don't need to crush the bottom of the rivet to keep them in the bracket.
Lube that check-arm up good with lubriplate as well as the pin thru the rollers during re-assembly. If everything's there and re-assembled properly and properly lubricated, it will outlive you.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 07:45 PM   #3
jhaase

Default Re: Door guide & rod

I got the check arm rivet out & pulled out the arm, that is when I noticed that the arm was striking the door, I then looked at the spring guide the arm goes into & noticed that the bushings the arm rolls on are bad & that's why the arm strikes the door. Ever replace those bushings??

Thank You
jhaase is offline   Reply With Quote