Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2023, 08:21 AM   #1
KellyRJons

Default Driving a T with a bad left arm

Hi folks, I’m hoping to get some help here.

After years of interest in Model A Fords, I’ve decided to explore the world of the T. I don’t currently own one, and have never driven one, but I would like to get an Improved Ford in the next few months.

However, I am concerned that I may not be able to drive it very well. My left arm is not so good anymore and I wonder if I will be able to use the parking brake lever effectively. I figure that I will be able to move the lever forward and back OK… It is the squeezing and releasing of the lever handle when it is in full back parking brake position that concerns me.

Anybody else out there dealing with a situation like this? How hard is it to just reach down with your right hand and release that lever handle? I’m not a big guy and I’m still pretty flexible, but I do wonder if the steering wheel might be too close to do that.

I’m pretty handy mechanically and wonder if it is possible to move that lever away from the left position and more toward the middle of the car. I think I would eventually put a KC Warford transmission in my car, too. Has anybody done something like this?

Thanks for any input or suggestions, folks. I really appreciate it.

Kelly
KellyRJons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:55 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Driving a T with a bad left arm

The lever is associated with both clutch and brake so it's more complicated than just a brake. A person can do most driving by using just the pedals but reversing is safer with the brake/clutch lever in neutral. Check out this link. There are others but this one is good for learning use and orientation of all the controls. Model T cars take a bit of getting used to due to complexity of controls coordination.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTL5z32pqtU

Moving the lever would be a complicated alteration but it might be doable. I would say to concentrate on pedals first and then see if it will work for you. Stopping the car would required more pedal concentration unless a person gets in trouble and has to really hit the skid. Pulling the lever can help stop but if stops are well anticipated then it can be done with the pedals for the most part.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:09 AM   #3
stevests

There was an assortment of accessory brake lever attachments that brought the lever back, up & easy to release. One such accessory was recently re-made by a fellow who goes by "dropacent" or Tim Mosher - he used to post on the MTFCA site but I believe I've seen him here also.
stevests is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 11:57 AM   #4
KellyRJons

Thank you, this is exactly the information I was looking for. I knew there had to have been some sort of an extension made for that lever… it’s just too short! And with more than 15 million of these cars on the road back in the day, it makes sense that other people would’ve thought the same thing or dealt with the issues I am working through.

I’ve been able to find a number of threads on this forum now about accessory lever extensions, and if I can’t find something available commercially that will work, I’m confident that I can make something.

Kelly
KellyRJons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 05:43 PM   #5
A bones

I knew a fellow, years ago, missing his left arm. He did well driving his 22 Sedan.
As long as you don't have a Warford box, it can be done.