Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2023, 06:29 PM   #1
Flathead41ford

Default Cruising your stocker

I’m curious how well your original, or lightly modified flathead powered cars cruise at “high” speeds. I don’t mean 90MPH on the turnpikes, but those 55-60 MPH country roads or freeways. I recently bought a restored 39 Ford Deluxe Tudor that was kissed pretty good in the rear. The car runs fantastic, drives, shifts and stops well. The brakes need to be re adjusted but that doesn’t matter at this point. I’m looking forward to using this as my daily this summer but the last original flathead Ford I drove was my 41 Tudor that was pretty tired and that was 25 years ago. My everyday driving consists of 35MPH roads so needless to say, I’m not worried about those. But, I would like to drive the car to the Blue Suede Cruise in Norwalk which is about a 60 mile drive using side roads. Some of those roads are 55 which I don’t think should be a problem but I have no experience so maybe I’m wrong. The car has a stock 85 horse flattie with 3.78s in the rear and 6.00X16 tires. Is 55-60 out of this car asking too much? I have a Mercury 255 that will end up in it eventually. There are also a pair of Columbias in the corner in unknown condition that would be nice but none of that stuff will be happening this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 809EDB40-0CA4-47DC-83FF-80CCB9E96BC4.jpg (77.2 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg 7889FD97-A08C-4ED8-9582-CEA0F521536D.jpg (95.8 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg 5324052A-8137-47E6-A740-1486E8573B35.jpg (96.6 KB, 395 views)
Flathead41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 06:33 PM   #2
Brian

Default Re: Cruising your stocker

I'd say your desired 55-60 MPH cruising speed is right on with your 3.78 gearing.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:48 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

I used to drive a 39 standard with 60 hp, original 4:44 rear
Top speed on flat ground was 74, was happy at 65 though fuel economy would drop below 25 mpg over 60, as soon as it slowed to 40 i would downshift to 2nd.
I drive my stock model A over 60 mph too, have driven the length of the PA turnpike at 65 comfortably too.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 07:47 PM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead41ford View Post
I’m curious how well your original, or lightly modified flathead powered cars cruise at “high” speeds. I don’t mean 90MPH on the turnpikes, but those 55-60 MPH country roads or freeways. I recently bought a restored 39 Ford Deluxe Tudor that was kissed pretty good in the rear. The car runs fantastic, drives, shifts and stops well. The brakes need to be re adjusted but that doesn’t matter at this point. I’m looking forward to using this as my daily this summer but the last original flathead Ford I drove was my 41 Tudor that was pretty tired and that was 25 years ago. My everyday driving consists of 35MPH roads so needless to say, I’m not worried about those. But, I would like to drive the car to the Blue Suede Cruise in Norwalk which is about a 60 mile drive using side roads. Some of those roads are 55 which I don’t think should be a problem but I have no experience so maybe I’m wrong. The car has a stock 85 horse flattie with 3.78s in the rear and 6.00X16 tires. Is 55-60 out of this car asking too much? I have a Mercury 255 that will end up in it eventually. There are also a pair of Columbias in the corner in unknown condition that would be nice but none of that stuff will be happening this year.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 06:41 AM   #5
38 coupe

That is a very nice clean looking 39 engine bay. It should drive quite happily at 55-60. Swap in a Columbia with a 4.11 ratio and it will drive happily at 70-75. No need for a 255 engine at those speeds.

You need good tires and good brakes so you can feel confident at those cruising speeds. Stock brakes in good condition are confidence inspiring, no need to modify them. Radial tires typically drive nicer than bias ply, but cheap radials can be worse than great bias plys.

As an example my green 38 has bias ply tires, 3.78 axle, no overdrive, and is happy to drive all day at 55-60 (until it wants more gasoline).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210814_124537.jpg (35.8 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by 38 coupe; 02-13-2023 at 06:50 AM.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:33 AM   #6
Seth Swoboda

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Fresh engine, 3.54 rear end, 6.00 x 16 diamond back radials, 65 mph easy.

I assume you're going to repair the tudor?
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 03:21 PM   #7
Flathead41ford

Thanks for the input. Tires are new with a build date of mid 2022. In fact the stickers were still on them when I bought the car. Although, I may turn the tires around because I’m not really a fan of the whitewalls on this car. I went through the brakes with new shoes, wheel cylinders, hoses, brake light switch and rebuilt the master. I am going over the body. The frame is straight and I’m working on the sheet metal now.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:41 PM   #8
Ggmac

Nice !
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 05:13 PM   #9
Seth Swoboda

You're doing a good job. I feel the same way about the whitewalls. This car would look best in black wall tires. Keep us posted on your progress.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 05:54 PM   #10
Flathead41ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
You're doing a good job. I feel the same way about the whitewalls. This car would look best in black wall tires. Keep us posted on your progress.
Thank you! This car came out of CoPart Pittsburgh north. Ironically, a friend sent me this photo of the car summer of 21. Turns out the previous owner was from their part of PA. I guess the car was parked either without the parking brake on, or the parking brake became disengaged and it rolled down a hill into a tree. It must have been one hell of a hill and tree! Even though it wasn’t long ago, it’s cool to me that someone recognized the car and knew that tid bit of history. . Although, I guess I can’t be 100% sure it’s the same car. It would be ironic that another 39 from PA was in the same type of rear end accident though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53B0B96F-D32B-4980-AA3D-DEB0ADCFB992.jpg (39.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 02-14-2023, 08:53 AM   #11
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead41ford View Post
Thank you! This car came out of CoPart Pittsburgh north. Ironically, a friend sent me this photo of the car summer of 21. Turns out the previous owner was from their part of PA. I guess the car was parked either without the parking brake on, or the parking brake became disengaged and it rolled down a hill into a tree. It must have been one hell of a hill and tree! Even though it wasn’t long ago, it’s cool to me that someone recognized the car and knew that tid bit of history. . Although, I guess I can’t be 100% sure it’s the same car. It would be ironic that another 39 from PA was in the same type of rear end accident though.
It's pretty hilly in Pittsburgh!! Don't think you'll have that issue in what I'm remembering of Mentor, Ohio!! You're doing a great job in bringing this old girl back! Looks like your grill is perfect, thankfully it wasn't damaged. Those are expensive and hard to come by today. My first flathead was a '39 Fordor and I loved that car!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote