Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2022, 05:33 PM   #1
Brianpfreeman

Default Rear wheel bearing seal cross reference

Just looking to see if anyone had luck finding rear wheel bearing seals at local auto parts store. Forgot to order them and trying to finish rear brake job. If no luck, I will order some local tomorrow. Thanks
Brianpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 06:50 PM   #2
bruceincam

Default Re: Rear wheel bearing seal cross reference

Here's some info that I have copied and saved straight from this site. Maybe it'll help you.

A–1175 Rear wheel grease retainer
49320 Victor
471022 National
473458 National
20702 Victor
A1225 Rear wheel bearing F–00536 SKF
B–1225 Rear wheel bearing (substitute)
A 1444 RBC
OA1565 RBC
J66–2456 Bowers
B–1225–X Rear wheel bearing (substitute)
sleeve 37155

Here's the link that it's from:
https://www.fordbarn.com/aforum/messages3/525484.html

Last edited by bruceincam; 12-12-2022 at 06:57 PM.
bruceincam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 09:25 PM   #3
Oldcarbearings

Both BOWER&RBC&SKF NO LONGER make the wound journal roller bearings : B1225, OA1565 A1444, J662456, BOWER used to have them made in Mexico &then china,
I was told by our (Australian) BOWER importer that BOWER DON'T make ANY of what i call/term "fast moving" wound journal roller bearings for both the rear axle/hub/wheel&transmission bearings i'm not 100% certain/sure whether or not RBC still manufactuer these kind/type of roller bearings, our Australian RBC importers DON'T import nor sell the fast moving/popular rear wheel/transmission wound journal roller bearings here in Australia we have to buy either N.O.S. Baltzer , BOWER, HYATT/RBC or we often/sometimes get boxed 'MADE IN USA" but made in china i assume&think that Synders are made in either china or india as no USA bearing company will make them..... sigh.
Oldcarbearings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 09:38 PM   #4
Joe K

A good discussion of various roller bearing details (i.e. wound journal roller bearings) is seen at https://www.ptintl.com/products/medi...2-253_Eich.pdf

This discussion is aligned with the cluster gear/main shaft bearing discussion of another thread found at https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321351

I have called these "spring rollers" in this other thread.

Joe K
Old 12-15-2022, 10:29 PM   #5
updraught

"These are essentially cylindrical roller bearings made of high temperature roller bearing steel.
The design of the bearings will adapt to these extreme ambient conditions to eliminate the need for frequent bearing replacement as is often the case with bronze bushed designs."
https://www.ptintl.com/products/medi...2-253_Eich.pdf

So, if bronze bushes were used in place of needle bearings in the transmission they would wear quicker than bearings?

updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:38 PM   #6
Joe K

Quote:
So, if bronze bushes were used in place of needle bearings in the transmission they would wear quicker than bearings?
Otherwise known as a "sleeve bearing." Instead of rolling lubrication you have lubrication/lubrication. Known in engineering as "boundary lubrication" where the action is part sliding (and consequent wear) and part slip (buoyed on a lubricant film.)

So yes. The reference cites EXTREME duty bearings. One's mind goes to the difference between the original railroad wheel "journal" bearings and their later replacement with Timken Roller Bearings, which lasted longer, required less attention, and failure resulted in less heat/i.e. "hot-boxes," which would frequently light the railroad ties on fire, or literally weld the shaft to its bearing.

Joe K
Old 12-15-2022, 10:42 PM   #7
Joe K

Otherwise known as a "sleeve bearing." Instead of rolling lubrication you have lubrication/lubrication. Known in engineering as "boundary lubrication" where the action is part sliding (and consequent wear) and part slip (buoyed on a lubricant film.)

So yes. The reference cites EXTREME duty bearings. One's mind goes to the difference between the original railroad wheel "journal" bearings and their later replacement with Timken Roller Bearings, which lasted longer, required less attention, and failure resulted in less heat/i.e. "hot-boxes," which would frequently light the railroad ties on fire.

I have to remind myself mentally that "journal" is the moving part (journey) and "bearing" is the stationary part (bears the load.)

Journal-Bearing is the complete relative motion unit.

Joe K