Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2022, 02:01 PM   #1
jeepguy1948

Default Steering linkage balls

Hey y’all I have a question: The Model A has balls on the steering arms and sockets on the drag and tie rod link but the V8 linkage has the balls permanently attached with studs sticking out that go into the holes on the steering arm. Does anybody know of balls that will bolt on the steering arms to allow the Model A drag link and tie rods to be used? I found some weld on ones but I don’t have a welder.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 02:25 PM   #2
Phil Brown

Default Re: Steering linkage balls

32 - 34 Ford used what it sounds like you're looking for
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221213_112916.jpg (30.4 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by Phil Brown; 12-13-2022 at 02:30 PM.
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 11:33 PM   #3
jeepguy1948

That definitely looks like it indeed. Thank you! I’m not familiar with buying V8 parts, can you suggest a source? Thanks again.
Old 12-13-2022, 11:57 PM   #4
Phil Brown

I've had good luck with CW Moss
cwmoss.com
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 08:13 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy1948 View Post
That definitely looks like it indeed. Thank you! I’m not familiar with buying V8 parts, can you suggest a source? Thanks again.
Yeaahhhh, ...you may want to hang on and rethink what you are wanting to do. That Early V-8 stud requires the hole be drilled in a Model-A steering arm AND for that hole to be reamed with a tapered reamer to the correct taper. Not doing that will likely cause a failure and cause a bad day!!! I would need to verify what degree ° taper is needed, but most tapered reamers I have purchased cost nearly $100 by the time I have received them, so this is about to get expensive. Also, you need to consider the depth of the Model-A steering arm under the pad is not really of sufficient thickness to take full advantage of the tapered shank, so the bottom side of the steering arm will need to be welded and peened before drilling and reaming can happen. Take a moment to compare the two spindle steering arms and you will see what I am saying.

From my vantage point, if you are going to go to all of that work to retro-fit the tapered ball stud onto an A steering arm, you probably should just consider installing THIS type in a Model-A steering arm and then be done with it. It will be WAY easier and likely safer!

The way we do this type is use a band-saw to remove the worn stud on the arm. Next we drill thru the steering arm and ream that hole where the size of the stud is about 1-thousandth oversized of the hole. We heat the end of the steering arm and insert the new ball stud until it seats. When it has cooled, it will be plenty strong enough 'as-is' however we then use a cut-off wheel to shorten the length of the protruding stud level with the bottom of the steering arm, and then we use an end mill to counterbore the bottom side of the stud just enough where we can plug-weld the bottom to the parent metal of the steering arm. Then metalfinish that weld smooth on a belt sander replicating the shape you typically see on the bottom of an original steering arm and you are set to go.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 11:37 AM   #6
Bob C

Brent, he is using V8 spindles. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321297

Jeepguy, I got NOS balls from barnfind08 on the early V8 board.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 12:39 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Brent, he is using V8 spindles. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321297

Jeepguy, I got NOS balls from barnfind08 on the early V8 board.
Ok I see what he is saying now. I read it differently the first time or two.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 12:41 PM   #8
jeepguy1948

Brent, what this is all about is me wanting to use V8 spindles but retain the Model A Drag Link and Tie Rod (purely for $$$ reasons). I appreciate everybody’s help!