Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2022, 08:20 AM   #1
rockfla

Default spary booth filters??

What are you "barner's" that do your own painting using for filtering your air supply?? Anyone have any experience with Harbor Freight's "desiccant" filter??

Last edited by rockfla; 10-24-2022 at 08:51 AM.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:03 AM   #2
marko39

Default Re: spary booth filters??

I bought a inline filter that goes before the small regulator on my gun. Could not get gun to work for shit. Tested the small filter and found it had a 35psi pressure drop! Don’t think it is what you are thinking about but it was fron the place you mention.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:08 AM   #3
deuce_roadster

I have a Motor Guard (toilet paper type) filter in the airline from the compressor and a disposable one at the gun. I avoid spraying when the humidity is high which might be always in Florida. I also drain my 60 gallon air tank every time I use the compressor and put a new paper element in the Motor Guard and new disposable on the gun right before spraying primer or color. I also have a pressure regulator (after the disposable filter) on each gun to accurately set the pressure right as the air enters the gun.

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 10-24-2022 at 10:34 AM.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:31 AM   #4
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I have a Motor Guard (toilet paper type) filter in the airline from the compressor and a disposable one at the gun. I avoid spraying when the humidity is high which might be always in Florida. I also drain my 60 gallon air tank every time I use the compressor and put a new paper element in the Motor Guard and new disposable on the gun right before spraying primer or color.
Yea, today, the high will be 80. Right now its 71 and the humidity is 71%. I don't think we every get much below 60% in the middle of winter. SO humidity is my main concern!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 05:20 PM   #5
fordv8j

furnace filters
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:02 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

I have a big Ingersol Rand - desiccant filter that I use when painting. It has worked very well and with some of them you can "bake" the moisture back out of them and reuse the cartridges. Of course I also drain my tank, etc..

One of the big issues for a lot of non-professional setups is that many have too small of a compressor, with too small of a tank and they generate a lot of heat and moisture as a result - making this all the more of an issue.

I have a big compressor with a large tank - generates a LOT less water in the lines.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 12:56 PM   #7
DonkieHodie

Hi,
With Harbor Freight Filters, I use the small red plastic filter at the air connection to the gun, but also have two of the desiccated filters connected from the compressor outlet and then to the gun. Small pressure drop at the gun air gauge. Drain the tank and the two-wall mounted desiccated filters before spraying. Works for me. Most of Harbor Freight tools & such are not bad except that it all comes from China. Oh well, it is what it is if you do not want to pay for expensive tools.
DonkieHodie is offline   Reply With Quote