Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #21
flatheadv8

Smile Re: Coker radial wide whites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Man View Post
Safest thing would be to order 8 or 10 tires, pick the best 4 , then return the rest. Diamondback only has the equilivant of 6,50x16 and didnt want me to run them on my skinny stock rims. Rich
I was thinking that as well. Up the odds a bit! LOL

Ahh..ok, was wondering about that.

Thanks for the help! Appreciated!
flatheadv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #22
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: Coker radial wide whites

A radial flattens out on the road ,so the contact patch is larger at that point any out of round is equalised .You say you have lowered your car have you put the caster back into the Axle ?? Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 10-28-2015 at 07:00 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #23
Milt K from Pa

Flat ted,
Will incorrect caster cause wheel shimmy, like a bad wheel balance?? I installed 4 750/14 Coker radial tires on my '57 Tbird, and it vibrates like crazy. One tire has a lot of weights on it. I did NOT adjust the camber cause this winter I will be pulling the front end apart for a rebuild, but I maybe should be contacting Coker!!! What's your opinion on the caster??

Milt K from Pa
Milt K from Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:36 PM   #24
FlatheadTed

Caster would not likely cause your problem, Lack of caster can cause light steering wonder .It sounds like it ran OK before the Cokers ,I would swap the rears one at a time to the front road test .get the one with all the weights redone ,then contact Coker if no improvement .Ted

Old 10-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #25
FlatheadTed

Just to add to that incorrect caster can cause the death wobbles as well as loose steering can ,this comes and goes .Ted

Old 10-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #26
woodiewagon46

FlatheadTed, Good luck complaining to Coker. Like I said I had a serious wear problem with the Coker tires I had on my car. After only about 12,000 miles, the outer 2" and the inner 2" of tread was worn bald and the cord was showing in a few places. This was on all four tires so it wasn't an alignment issue. It was almost like a serious under inflation issue even though I kept all four at the Coker recommended 35PSI, verified with two pressure gauges. I took pictures of all four and showed the Coker people at Hershey and was told "Coker tires are for show cars, not drivers". This was verified by several other people who also complained about the same problem. The salesman at Hershey said that "there was nothing he could do for me". I now use Diamondbacks that look like new with about 12,000 miles on them.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:52 PM   #27
Capsacto

I looked at the Diamondback website and they say to NOT run tubes. Has anyone tried or been successful running tubeless tires on their 1930's vintage wheels?

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Capsacto; 10-29-2015 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Correction
Capsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsacto View Post
I looked at the Diamondback website and they say to NOT run tubes. Has anyone tried or been successful running tubeless tires on their 1930's vintage wheels?
These Spahl Excelsior radials are being run on stock 1940 Ford wheels...........NO tubes! Works just fine if your beads are clean and pit-free. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:07 AM   #29
Capsacto

Thanks V8COOPMAN. I'm seriously considering replacing my old bias-ply wide whites with tubeless Diamondbacks. The bias-plys ride very rough and don't track too well.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson
Capsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:07 PM   #30
Talkwrench

Ive been lucky with firestones, I drive on them almost daily. When fitting the rears the tyre fitter said my rims were a bit out and I need a fair amount of weights on them but they are the biggest 7.50x16 I don't notice anything at any speed.
I have Diamond back radials on my Fairlane , good tyre never had an issue..
Old 11-08-2015, 12:22 PM   #31
Deuce Man

I just got back from a hunting trip, so I have been somewhat removed from this thread. I jacked up my 46 this morning and spun the rear tires. Both were quite out of round. I drove this car last night, was this from sitting? the one that the tire tech didn't like had a very abrupt 1/4 inch bump in it. The people at Summit couldn't have been nicer, my conversation was not technical. I had my new tire at my front gate in two days. In years past my conversation with Coker ended with a similar " these tires are for show cars, not drivers etc." I hope to put my new tire on tomorrow, lets hope all is well. Rich
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:03 AM   #32
flatmotor40

My American Classic are a bunch of junk.Some times it rides smooth and in the next mile shimmy.Everything is new on frt end.Had them rebalanced 2 times and 1 has a ton of weight on them.Just have to put up with it till they wear out.Steering wheel will shake and shake them smooth out.They did this when new.
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #33
Deuce Man

I mounted my new tire today. Rear shake seems to be a little less, this tire is much truer than the first one, yet still worried the tire tech. Front still has an imbalance shimmy between 30 and 40, like I said earlier, it is decent at 50- 55. Tomorrow I am going to try the front to back switch. My last resort is probably having them shaved. I did this on my last two sets of bias ply Cokers, got them much rounder. Almost all of my four new tires took 3 to 4 ounces to balance. I am sure we can solve this, but at $1000.00 plus for a set, these tires should be better than what we drive on our family cars. By the way the name "American Classic" is a misnomer, they are made in Mexico! Rich
Old 11-09-2015, 10:20 PM   #34
quickchange34

I have never had a problem with the Diamondback Radials , all three sets.
quickchange34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #35
V8 Bob

There are several Barners who run 16" Coker Classic and Excelsior Stahl radial tires tubeless that are listed as "tube type". Are there any known safety or warranty issues running these tires tubeless?
My 16" bias Firestones are ready for replacement. I want to switch over to radials, but do not want the added expense or bother with tubes if possible.
(DiamondBack Auburns will be my choice once they are available)

Last edited by V8 Bob; 11-11-2015 at 08:43 AM.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #36
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Bob View Post
There are several Barners who run Coker Classic and Excelsior Stahl 16" radial tires tubeless that are listed as "tube type". Are there any known safety or warranty issues running these tires tuneless?
My 16" bias Firestones are ready for replacement. I want to switch over to radials, but do not want the added expense or bother with tubes if possible.
(DiamondBack's Auburn will be my choice once they are available)
V8 Bob.......I know that Heard here on the 'Barn has the Excelsior Stahls on 4-1/2" and 4"-wide 16" Ford wheels, WITHOUT tubes, on his raggedy ol' 3-window coupe. He loves 'em! You could always PM him for any details.

I'm not sure the Auburns are ever gonna get here. They're at least two years behind projected release. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #37
Deuce Man

Making progress. After work today, I did the front to back switch on my tires. As I expected the low speed [30-40 mph] shimmy moved. The steering wheel is now very smooth. Instead of feeling the shimmy thru my hands, I feel it thru my butt. This is a step in the right direction as I am able to eliminate all the possibilities ie. caster angle, tow in. steering box, mentioned. Now I will have a more intense balance done to my back tires, maybe even a light shave. My tire guy when asked about how much weight is too much when balancing tires said that 3 to 4 ounces is not too extreme. He's seen some tires need quite a bit more. Some [not Cokers] have needed 10 ounces to balance. These he sent back. Positive progress is encouraging. This old ford, is very tight and smooth. I am hoping for a quiet and cushy ride soon, just hoped it would have been easier. Rich
Old 11-10-2015, 10:46 PM   #38
Grandadeo

Glad to hear you're making progress Rich.
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50
Grandadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #39
Deuce Man

Hey guys, how about tire pressure? My tires call for 41 lbs. on the sidewall, this seems like a lot, is this what you are running? I went to a coffee and cars thing this morning, they had a couple of TV show guys there, big turnout. The coupe ran and rode well, best thing to date with these new tires is the straight line steering down the road . The previous bias ply tires were a white knuckle affair from the time I left home, until I was back in the garage. How about some input on pressures? I am determined to get this car riding like it is on marsh mellows, just takes work and patience. Thanks Rich
Old 10-12-2022, 12:54 PM   #40
jake197000

had good luck with cokers
jake197000 is offline   Reply With Quote