Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2022, 08:28 AM   #1
JakesGarage

Default Garage full of antique Ford parts

So here is the backstory to the two threads I've started already...I'm responsible for cleaning out my Dad's Ford treasures and we have an overabundance of parts (and two 1949 F3's and two 1952 F1's that have been "field art" for quite sometime, in addition to his daily driver truck that was midway through it's 3rd restoration before he couldn't do it anymore.) This question is specific to the 12-15 Flathead V8 engines we have - different years (though many from 42-47) and conditions, but all ready to be rebuilt. Any recommendation on a base value? Do you see there being any interest in them? Thanks again for any input!
JakesGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 08:43 AM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Garage full of antique Ford parts

Hi Jake:

Sounds like you've got your hands full and have some tough decisions to make.

Here is my rule of thumb:

There is certainly an interest in them. That said, any unknown condition and not running motor has to be assumed to be no good until proven otherwise.

Value for a "core motor" is $100-150. Maybe, just maybe $200 if it's clean, turns over easily, has a nice oil pan, other neat things such as double pulley set-up, etc.

Countless folks here can give you story after story of going through the 2 day. messy process of tearing down a flathead only to find out the block is cracked and no good.

Don't buy into some of the Instagram or internet hype of charging $750 or more for a core motor. You'll be dragging these around a long time if that's what you want for an unknown motor.

Now, if you want to take the time and break these down and get the blocks checked & cleaned, then that's a different story altogether as to value.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 10-12-2022 at 10:26 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:03 AM   #3
JakesGarage

So if I go to that effort, what would you think a value would be?
Old 10-12-2022, 09:05 AM   #4
JakesGarage

And my mistake in the years mentioned, they are 42-53 engines
Old 10-12-2022, 09:10 AM   #5
Tim Ayers

So, for a block still with it's matching main caps and oil pan and is proven to be good (this means torn down, cleaned, mag AND pressure tested) and has bores no larger than .060", I'd say a fair price is $800-1,000.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:16 AM   #6
19Fordy

Jake:

In order to answer your question ask yourself:
1. What is my time and effort worth to clean, dismantle and inspect each engine? It's a lot of work and cost $$..
2. Buyers will want to know if the blocks have been pressure tested for cracks.

You might just be better off posting an add with photos and price of each engine ($250- $300 each). Let the buyer pull the heads and inspect before buying. Once you tear down an engine, it's easy for parts to get lost.

Post photos of what you have in the SWAP For Sale section.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 10-12-2022 at 10:10 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:20 AM   #7
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Jake:

In order to answer your question ask yourself:
1. What is my time and effort worth to dismantle and inspect each engine? It's a lot of work.
2. Buyers will want to know if the blocks have been pressure tested for cracks.

You might just be better off posting an add with photos and price of each engine as Tim Ayers suggested. Let the buyer pull the heads and inspect before buying.
This is good advice and I just came back to add a few things:

If you go this route, first find a shop who is willing and able to do the checking and has time in their schedule. A lot of machine shops are booked out months in advance.

If you don't have the time, space, tools and/or knowledge (not knocking you, but there are some tricks to tearing one down), it may be easier and quicker to sell them as cores.

For example: Removing the studs can be a real bear. Most guys heat them cherry red with a oxy/acetenyl torch and then let them sit until totally cool. This can take a few go arounds and takes some experience to know when the stud is going to come out or not. You want to avoid breaking them off in the block.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 10-12-2022 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:15 AM   #8
Newc

We have a member [RG #85] who scraps EVERY flathead. Doesn't bother the tear down or check any of them. Right now his scrap trailer has two 8ba's, a '42 high deck 59A, and 2 59AB's in it. We found a full windage tray pan on one 8BA-saved that. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 11:31 AM   #9
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
We have a member [RG #85] who scraps EVERY flathead. Doesn't bother the tear down or check any of them. Right now his scrap trailer has two 8ba's, a '42 high deck 59A, and 2 59AB's in it. We found a full windage tray pan on one 8BA-saved that. Newc
Dang. That's heartbreaking.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:57 AM   #10
neilp

Quote:
So why would you not offer him scrap price and save him the trouble, time, and gas. The oil pans are worth the scrap price.

Last edited by neilp; 10-12-2022 at 01:35 PM.
neilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 11:58 AM   #11
19Fordy

Quote:
GOSH! You would think that fellow would at least give those flatheads to folks who need them. Very selfish indeed. Wonder why he behaves like that?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:46 PM   #12
JakesGarage

I also have a couple mercury engines as well, would they be worth more with the 4" crankshaft?
Old 10-12-2022, 08:43 PM   #13
36coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
GOSH! You would think that fellow would at least give those flatheads to folks who need them. Very selfish indeed. Wonder why he behaves like that?
Story around here is a scrape guy bought a 40ft tractor trailer full of flathead heads and scrapped everything. Had a kid removing aluminum for a separate pile.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:49 AM   #14
TravisDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakesGarage View Post
I also have a couple mercury engines as well, would they be worth more with the 4" crankshaft?
Sounds like a great collection there. Share photos when you can
TravisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 08:22 AM   #15
Bored&Stroked

The engines with the 4" Mercury cranks are worth more - if the blocks and cranks are good. The only way to know that is to do the complete disassembly, hot-tank, magnaflux, pressure test and mic everything. There is no such thing as a 'Mercury Block' from 1946 - 1953 - they're the same as Ford blocks. The Mercury cranks from 49-53 have a 4" stroke and if they're good cranks are usually worth a few hundred bucks each (depending on journal sizes).

In the end, it comes down to how much work do you want to put into them, do you have the necessary tools, skills and time to do the hard work . . . because it takes a lot of time even with the right tools.

In the end, it is really more of a labor of love, versus a highly profitable adventure . . . and there can be a lot of "boat anchors" found along the way! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 11:13 AM   #16
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
The engines with the 4" Mercury cranks are worth more - if the blocks and cranks are good. The only way to know that is to do the complete disassembly, hot-tank, magnaflux, pressure test and mic everything. There is no such thing as a 'Mercury Block' from 1946 - 1953 - they're the same as Ford blocks. The Mercury cranks from 49-53 have a 4" stroke and if they're good cranks are usually worth a few hundred bucks each (depending on journal sizes).

In the end, it comes down to how much work do you want to put into them, do you have the necessary tools, skills and time to do the hard work . . . because it takes a lot of time even with the right tools.

In the end, it is really more of a labor of love, versus a highly profitable adventure . . . and there can be a lot of "boat anchors" found along the way! LOL
Sage advice
Old 11-07-2022, 06:05 AM   #17
JakesGarage

Still working through Dad's garage...2 main questions for 49-53 Flathead V8: 1) I have dozens of packing boxes full of original Ford parts, still in/with the original FoMoCo boxes/tags - is there a place to find an asking value? or does the value come in just listing them and getting what you get? AND 2) I have dozens and dozens of used pressure plates, used brake shoes, used water pumps (I do have the know-how to rebuild them), used fuel pumps, probably 20 each of used distributors, generators, and starters...is there a market for these kinds of used parts? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-07-2022, 08:59 AM   #18
Joe777

Good morning Jake,
I live in New Castle and would love to talk to you. I’ll shoot you a PM.
Joe777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 05:43 PM   #19
JakesGarage

Just FYI, I posted a 1948 Ford Coupe Project Car for sale in the Swap Meet
Old 11-25-2022, 08:20 PM   #20
1942deluxe

Jake the car you posted in the Swap Meet section has every indication of being a 1946 or early 1947.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote