Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2022, 06:29 AM   #1
Dennisfly

Default Tail Light Crossover 1935

I am adding a right tail light. I bought this crossover harness from one of the suppliers. Two wires are about 4 feet long (makes sense) but there are two more wires about nine inches long woven into the sheathing. What are they for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tail light crossover.jpg (50.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-07-2022, 08:13 AM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: Tail Light Crossover 1935

If you have two tail lamps and one tail lamp switch, you must have one pair to connect to the leads from the switch and one pair each for the tail lamps, i.e. three pairs of wires.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 02:07 PM   #3
terry

I did the same with my 36 and David is right on. You are actually getting the a switch that connects to the original left taillight, as well. My 36 is standard and originally came with only one taillight. terry
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 03:30 PM   #4
DavidG

I might add that the reason for making it that way is that the crossover to the opposite side occurs well before the location of the rear lamps and is secured with clips to the lip on the fuel tank.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 07:31 PM   #5
Dennisfly

Thank you all for your responses.

I must be dense, but I still don't get it. I followed the black with red tracer loom down the left side of the car to the left tail light. There is a bullet connector with female sleeve connecting the tail and brake light on the left. It would appear that I need some kind of pigtails or three way connectors to tie into the existing wiring. I see no place to use two 9" wires with bullet ends.

Also, where the loom crosses the rear axle there is a yellow wire with an eyelet end that was taped into the loom cover. After removing the tape, I checked it with a meter and there is no voltage when the brake or tail light is powered. (see picture). The only yellow wire that I see in the wiring diagram runs from the fuse block through the ammeter and to the horn. Maybe it is not original although it has that look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wire.jpg (30.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 10-09-2022, 11:30 PM   #6
Don Rogers

Dennisfly, You have the wrong cross over wiring(too many connectors) You want Ford # B-14424. I show it in the diagram below. Also your main tail light harness is for 1936. The yellow wire was added to attach to the electric sending unit in a 36 tank. Just tape it off on both ends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935 REARWIRE BW with text.jpg (69.7 KB, 125 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:38 PM   #7
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
Dennisfly, You have the wrong cross over wiring(too many connectors) You want Ford # B-14424. I show it in the diagram below. Also your main tail light harness is for 1936. The yellow wire was added to attach to the electric sending unit in a 36 tank. Just tape it off on both ends.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:13 AM   #8
Dennisfly

Don and Pete,

Thank you. The light between my ears is illuminating!

The harness diagram is a great help and makes perfect sense. Where did that come from? I have a couple of manuals but nothing in that much detail.

When I acquired the car it came with boxes of parts including a new Drake 36 fuel tank, fuel line, electric sender, and a NOS 36 electric gauge. I have yet to install the fuel parts but I was planning on running a new wire outside the loom from sender to gauge, so you saved me doing that!
Old 10-10-2022, 11:47 AM   #9
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisfly View Post
Don and Pete,

Thank you. The light between my ears is illuminating!

The harness diagram is a great help and makes perfect sense. Where did that come from? I have a couple of manuals but nothing in that much detail.

When I acquired the car it came with boxes of parts including a new Drake 36 fuel tank, fuel line, electric sender, and a NOS 36 electric gauge. I have yet to install the fuel parts but I was planning on running a new wire outside the loom from sender to gauge, so you saved me doing that!
Is the sender a Drake unit or an original King-Seeley? They work by different principles. Some people have fooled around with the resistance senders and say thay have gotten them "close", but others have had no luck.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 02:35 PM   #10
Dennisfly

Tank and sender are both Drake. I hooked the gauge, sender and a battery up on the bench and it appeared to give reasonable indications. I think The directions talked about cutting the float arm the correct length when installing, so I have to get that right.
Old 10-11-2022, 06:35 AM   #11
Terry,OH

Many of the aftermarket suppliers of wiring harness make one harness to fit both the 35 and 36. So they add the wire to the electrical fuel tank sending unit which should not be in the 35 harness. Beside the extra wire near the tail light there is another end of this wire near the gauges.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote