Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2022, 07:29 PM   #1
Grim70

Default 56 Conv top experts

Looking for some input on the power top. My Dad has owned this car since 1982 (2nd owner) and the top has never worked. I've been working on things for him and I just replaced they cylinders, motor/pump and lines. I've gone through the service manual and the adjustments but something doesn't seem right. Since this is my first encounter with a power top I'm pretty unfamiliar. So far I have not tried to adjust anything as it seemed to match spec.

Here is what I have now.

When putting the top down as it goes up it gets to about the 12 o'clock position and as it goes over it free falls about 1 1/2ft and slams. It then continues down smooth until it is in the full down.

Going up it will move nicely up about 40% and stall. The rods continue to extend but not move the top up. You can then go and help it fully close.

It has me wondering did the previous owner remove something to make it easier to manually operate? I can't see where anything is missing?

As always any input greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_E1365.jpg (64.0 KB, 22 views)
Grim70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:18 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: 56 Conv top experts

Check fluid level - you may have an air pocket which is causing the erratic movements. What are you using for fluid ? I hope your not using Dot 3 brake fluid. If a line breaks or a cylinder leaks your going to spoil the paint Best to use is hydraulic fluid or ATF.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:36 PM   #3
miker98038

I’ve got a power top on an OT 67 car. The pump came with very specific instruction as how to fill and bleed it. Paul is right on that. They weren’t a fill and forget deal. If there weren’t instructions, look farther.

But my OT car acts a lot like yours, I just don’t need to help it going over the top and down. But if the 56 top was designed by the same guy that did the 55-57 tbird manual top, well, that might be normal. They don’t work like a modern power or manual top.
miker98038 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:53 AM   #4
Grim70

Using ATF in the pump. I'm going to cycle it a few more times and make sure there isn't air in the system. No instructions came with it so I just followed the orig shop manual.

I can see the air in the system limiting the power up but the slamming down, that just doesn't seem normal.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:38 PM   #5
poolplayer1

I don't know much about convertibles but it seems to me that the only way that top is going to slam down is if the cylinders don't hold pressure and therefore,the top coming down fast. You may have the wrong fluid in the hydro's.
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:09 PM   #6
miker98038

I’m not so sure some air couldn’t cause the problem. The top I’ve got gets pushed all the way up and over, but in the middle of travel (when it starts down) you can hear the load come off the pump. A small amount of air will compress and actuate the top, but once over center that air would let it drop. Air in hydraulics can do strange things short of not working.

Hopefully someone with a working 56 top would chime in with their experience. If that doesn’t happen here, maybe the social group or a specialized forum can provide the answer.
miker98038 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:54 PM   #7
Grim70

I'm hoping to get over to the shop tomorrow and give it another couple of cycles and see if I can get any air out. Hopefully that does it. I'll report back.

Thanks for the input
Old 07-27-2022, 04:08 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Quote:
I've been working on things for him and I just replaced they cylinders, motor/pump and lines. I've gone through the service manual and the adjustments but something doesn't seem right.

When putting the top down as it goes up it gets to about the 12 o'clock position and as it goes over it free falls about 1 1/2ft and slams. It then continues down smooth until it is in the full down.

Going up it will move nicely up about 40% and stall. The rods continue to extend but not move the top up. You can then go and help it fully close.
Where did you source the pump and cylinders?

The pump itself is reversible and there are two operations, pressure and vacuum to the cylinders and these employ at different times in the cycles. Re-read this descriptive section in your FORD WSM.

Have you monitored the linkage(s) as the top operates when opening or closing? You might want to disconnect the cylinders and operate the top assembly by hand (with a helper on the other side) to ascertain if there is anything loose or binding. Lubricate all pivot points. The frame may be binding and when the cylinders go into vacuum mode the top drops a little suddenly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CONV TOP - PUMP AND CYLINDERS - 1949-59 MPC ILL.jpg (19.8 KB, 6 views)

- BILLBOARD FOR SALE - LEASE - RENT - OPTION TO BUY -

- NO SOLICITING -

(Unless A Cheap And Tawdry Bar Maiden ... )

- NO TRESPASS - FISHING - HUNTING -

- NO NOTHING -

- POST NO BILLS -

... Kilroy was here ... ... sigh ...
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:50 PM   #9
Grim70

Went back in and cycled a few times to bleed and double check fill. All good no change.

Parts came from Hydro E Lectric. The top has been manually put up and down since the rams were disconnected in 19? So it doesn't seem to be binding. Did lube every joint prior to trying the power option. Going to go through things again.

The pressure/vacuum is something I didn't think about. I followed the color of the wires. Perhaps reversing connections of the pump?

I'll keep chipping. Taking second fiddle now as I'm getting ready for a engine break in.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:00 PM   #10
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: 56 Conv top experts

As a last resort -

https://store.convertibleparts.com/f...atic-tool.html

- NO SOLICITING -

- NO NOTHING -

- POST NO BILLS -

Old 09-01-2022, 01:54 AM   #11
KULTULZ

Post Re: 56 Conv top experts

Just a note here -

Repair info was released in more forms other than the WSM-

The below publication was released expressly for the 58 BIRD -

https://squarebirds.org/picture_gall...djustments.htm

It was a monthly publication I believe and detailed more concise service details.

Just so you know.

- NO SOLICITING -

- NO NOTHING -

- POST NO BILLS -