Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2022, 12:35 PM   #21
ford38v8

Default Re: Coker Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
So, a few of you here who have posted own your own business. Have you ever raised your prices in order to keep up with salary, inflation, cost of raw materials, shipping? I would certainly hope so.

I have a good friend is one of the top chefs/names in prime steaks. He said, for the first time ever, his cost of shipping is the same as the cost of product.

This is the definition of a free market. Costs peculiar to a specific business certainly do play a role in price increases, but need not be isolated to do so. More significant are the overall inflation levels of the economy and the supply and demand of the product in question. Markets also adjust pricing in anticipation of future conditions, such as the movement of home prices in anticipation of changes in mortgage interest rates and availability. It's not a conspiracy, it simply reflects the need to stay competitive in a free market.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:19 PM   #22
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
This is the definition of a free market. Costs peculiar to a specific business certainly do play a role in price increases, but need not be isolated to do so. More significant are the overall inflation levels of the economy and the supply and demand of the product in question. Markets also adjust pricing in anticipation of future conditions, such as the movement of home prices in anticipation of changes in mortgage interest rates and availability. It's not a conspiracy, it simply reflects the need to stay competitive in a free market.
I agree. I posted this in response to comments about a company raising their prices. Hard to find tires for these old cars, so we'll either need to pay, boycott their products or make our own.

Any business that wants to stay in business and is losing money while selling a product won't be in business much longer.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 02-19-2022 at 09:32 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 01:41 PM   #23
OldGold360

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
YUP....12 months or so. DD

Yep!
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:18 PM   #24
52flthed

I love my Coker tires. Great company great products!!
52flthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:25 PM   #25
petehoovie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 08:07 AM   #26
flatmotor40

I buy mine now from Diamond back better tires and service.At least I can balance them
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 11:16 AM   #27
bo8109b

Back in the 40's, Down in Ft Worth, when a tire tread got worn to about a 16th left, the local gas station would regroove the tread with a heated hand held regrooving iron. Was about 18 when I watched this.
bo8109b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 11:54 AM   #28
deuce_roadster

The Ford Script 600-16 tires that were originally made by the Universal Tire Co that was bought out by Coker, wore out in dramatic fashion. I had a set of double whitewalls on my 40 wagon, and they didn't last very long as there are less then 1000 miles on the car. And no, not because the front end was out of adjustment. All 4 were worn way down and believe me, I never tried to burn rubber with this car. Now that this car has multiple Dearborn awards, I put Diamond back radials on it and they are holding up fine plus it drives like a new car. I would never buy Coker tires again for anything. That is my experience with that company.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 12:11 PM   #29
Krylon32

Diamond Back sells great tires, I have used them on several cars and currently have them on my 40 coupe and deuce 3 window. As far as I can see they don't offer a more vintage style tire in the sizes I need in a radial. I'm currently waiting on a pair of 500-16 and 700-18 Excelsior radials for a new roadster I"m building. I would much rather deal with Diamond Back than Coker if they offered what I needed.

'
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 09:19 PM   #30
Holeshot

If you don't like the price, don't buy them. Nuff said!
Old 02-19-2022, 11:17 PM   #31
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
It's covid's fault !
Charlie ny

Covid might be the excuse. Quite a few companies made a ton of money from Covid. (amazon doubled). If you look at company profits they are all up. Profit. Not cost of materials or labor for the same product, yes some. Look at profit earnings to the company your buying from, hard to say it's something else when a company is showing record quarterly profits and charging more for the same thing. It's all public knowledge. One could say there could be some opportunities taken. But as capitalism is, a good product cheaper hopefully will always be available. But I digress...

This could be a supply issue or something else. Coker has been a great company for a long time. A real asset offering an amazing diversity of products you can't find anywhere. I'll still consider when I buy.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-19-2022 at 11:25 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 11:35 PM   #32
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Covid might be the excuse. Quite a few companies made a ton of money from Covid. (amazon doubled). If you look at company profits they are all up. Profit. Not cost of materials or labor for the same product, yes some. Look at profit earnings to the company your buying from, hard to say it's something else when a company is showing record quarterly profits and charging more for the same thing. It's all public knowledge. One could say there could be some opportunities taken. But as capitalism is, a good product cheaper hopefully will always be available. But I digress...

This could be a supply issue or something else. Coker has been a great company for a long time. A real asset offering an amazing diversity of products you can't find anywhere. I'll still consider when I buy.
Tinker, you speak in generalities all over the place and say it’s all public knowledge. If what you want to convey is so public, please be specific and cite your source.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:41 PM   #33
Tinker

Maybe I responded to a generalization with a soft generalization in general.

Google, company profits and inflation.

https://fortune.com/2022/02/19/infla...nies-pandemic/

My comment of company profits being public, that is stated in quarterly profit statements and available with a bit of looking.

I by no means are saying anything about coker here. I have always liked their product and will look to them first.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-19-2022 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:48 PM   #34
Tinker

https://www.aftermarketnews.com/coke...r-reifen-gmbh/

Last edited by Tinker; 02-19-2022 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:19 PM   #35
Hitman

Quote:
Tinker, you speak in generalities all over the place and say it’s all public knowledge. If what you want to convey is so public, please be specific and cite your source.
Yeah, Tinker’s comments are at the 50,000 foot level, generic and basic news info.

Costs have gone up in just about every category. Some are up now, some were up a year ago and have since normalized. It’s supply and demand on a global scale. COVID has a huge impact on the global supply chain, like it or not, agree with it or not.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:16 PM   #36
richard crow

answer me this what about the tires that were made before all this bull. that are siting in a warehouse. they increased the price on them they were made before all this supply increase. it,s like a gas station they have thousands of gal in the ground. when the price goes up they cash in. i remember a few years back when gas prices rose shipping went up due to the fuel increase .when the fuel price went down the shipping cost never went down. the next 3 years will be very painful. the 100 dollar bill is now the new 20
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:56 PM   #37
Tinker

Quote:

In a free market also, a good product that is cheaper, then another product that doesn't have to worry about stock holders, will also do well too.

It has been mentioned by some in the political economic abyss that 3 yrs ago we were a energy self-sufficient country, that is not true. We did pump out natural gas to other countries though. But we do not have a tap on gas. Otherwise it wouldn't fluctuate here dramatically so much creating issues??? Would be pretty easy to stabilize an economy by just making energy cheap for a bit. Oh course with some profit. I'm not a commie. No the pipe line from Canada oil sands wouldn't make a difference. Refining oil sands is only profitable after gas is $3 a gallon. Luckily we have a diverse economy here not completely based on oil like some countries.

We pumped 3 trillion into the economy just a couple years ago. Lot of free cash, 80% to businesses. Not sure it's trickling down yet.

Shifting chip manufacturing more locally is a good thing. Probably help with that supply chain issue too. Hard to just get things from canada lately.... Along with utilizing other areas that are not authoritarian, like India ect for Walmart stuff.

All just general stuff at the 50k level.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-22-2022 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:49 AM   #38
dad's deuce roadster

Guess I got lucky on the Coker tires. Ordered from Summit on 17th. 3 will show up today - 4th is still supposedly sitting in Nevada. Summit is now listing them for 9% more.
dad's deuce roadster is offline   Reply With Quote