Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2021, 01:27 AM   #1
Youngfordlover2007

Default Interesting Observation

(I know this forum is for model a's but I just wanna voice my thoughts on shifting classic car culture from a younger perspective)

Ever since I was little I always loved old fords but I have been noticing a trend among people that are around my age that Old Malaise era barges are gaining popularity now I know that sounds insane to some of you older folk and it does to me! but I swear they are gaining popularity one of my friends older brother got a 76 Cadillac Deville as a first car and all my other friends love it and we used to talk about how our first cars are gonna be old mustangs or pre 50s fords but a lot of em now want malaise era Luxo barges! I went to a car show and they had a whole section devoted to 70s and 80s land yachts

So what are you're guy's thoughts on this recent trend?
Youngfordlover2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:38 AM   #2
bavArian

Default Re: Interesting Observation

There's a saying that kids have little to no interest for their parents things or hobbies but a lot for their grandparents ones. I highly doubt that a lot of kids will really BUY vintage cars though, because they cost a lot of money and are way more uncomfortable compared to more modern cars. Also they don't even have bluetooth.
bavArian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:42 AM   #3
Youngfordlover2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavArian View Post
There's a saying that kids have little to no interest for their parents things or hobbies but a lot for their grandparents ones. I highly doubt that a lot of kids will really BUY vintage cars though, because they cost a lot of money and are way more uncomfortable compared to more modern cars. Also they don't even have bluetooth.

Honestly 70s land yachts are really cheap i see good condition one for 5-15k CAD so im pretty sure anyone with a part time job could afford one if they saved up for a while
Youngfordlover2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:50 AM   #4
bavArian

I don't know if the situation is different "over there" but in Europe I'd only recommend such cars as a hobby while having a more modern everyday-car. Usually reliability and fuel economy of 90s and early 2000s cars is simply far superior and parts can be expensive and hard to find for 70s and 80s cars, at least for standard-brands and cars in Europe.
bavArian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:19 AM   #5
nkaminar

My neighbor has two mid 70's Caddys and loves them. He is no kid but my age (also mid 70's). He likes my Model A but would never buy one. My neighbor take his car in to get it worked on, something you cannot do with a 90 year old car. He is no mechanic. The auto shops here have people working in them that were around when the 70's Caddys were new.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:36 AM   #6
rotorwrench

If it gains them knowledge then it's all good. I started out with the big luxury cars back in the late 60s and played with them till I tired of the complexity and the difficulty level in getting some good quality parts. As I've grown older, I look more toward the more simple cars to keep my interest up. It's a lot more work and expenditure to restore and keep up the big ones plus they take up too much space in the garage. I don't have enough years left to take on long term projects.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:21 AM   #7
Badpuppy

Times change. I thought the 1959 Caddy was the ugliest blimp I ever saw when it came out. I also was 14 at the time.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:41 AM   #8
jayvee34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
Times change. I thought the 1959 Caddy was the ugliest blimp I ever saw when it came out.
X2 and still do!! Along with the 1958 Impala. Although Large bucks are being
asked for them.