Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
63.5 Galaxie

Default 5 Speed into 63 Galaxie with 390

Ok. I currently have a 63 352 car, with 3spd/overdrive. In the next few years, I am hoping to put my 390 into it, but am thinking of going to a 5 speed, with maybe an overdrive option. My 390 is pretty mild, with a rebuild 5,000 miles ago and a mild cam. I want it more for cruising than racing, but want the ability to run it hard if I want to. I also want to keep it looking stock on the inside, so the ability to put the floor shifter in the stock position is a must.

What should I be looking for parts wise? I assume a new crossmember, and an adapter of some sort. Will a T-5 hold up to the torque of a 390?

Thanks!
63.5 Galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Bob 37

Default Re: 5 Speed into 63 Galaxie with 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63.5 Galaxie View Post
Ok. I currently have a 63 352 car, with 3spd/overdrive. In the next few years, I am hoping to put my 390 into it, but am thinking of going to a 5 speed, with maybe an overdrive option. My 390 is pretty mild, with a rebuild 5,000 miles ago and a mild cam. I want it more for cruising than racing, but want the ability to run it hard if I want to. I also want to keep it looking stock on the inside, so the ability to put the floor shifter in the stock position is a must.

What should I be looking for parts wise? I assume a new crossmember, and an adapter of some sort. Will a T-5 hold up to the torque of a 390?

Thanks!
A T-5 will not hold up if you plan on banging the gears hard, especially when using any kind of traction tire and in a '63 Ford, which is a pretty heavy car. But, if you plan on mostly normal driving and occasionally "going through the gears" with street tires it should be fine.
T-5s come in a number of different specs as far as torque goes, and I believe the later Mustang trans. is rated for 320 foot pounds of torque.
You won't need an over-drive option as the 5th gear is an over-drive.
A friend has one in his '57 Ford (H.O. 302)and he has been beating on it pretty hard for 12 years and it's still together.
Bob 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Ole Don

I asked the same question to two of the people who advertise in the Mustang magazines, one guy on each coast. The answer was the same. A T5 will not hold up. I took the advice of the pros, I stepped up and bought a Tremmec TKO, which is an aftermarket gearbox meant as a heavy duty replacement for a T5. The new version is called either a T500 or a T600, the number is the torque capacity. I bought mine several years ago, it has been cruised, drag raced, and run in the one mile on the salt. It is expensive, 1700 delivered. It is also a flawless trans, very nice to shift. You wont be sorry you spent the money.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
Ole Don

I forgot to say, on the newer Tremmec's you can put the shifter where you want it. They have three holes in the top of the trans. for the shifter.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
Milt/Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Don View Post
I forgot to say, on the newer Tremmec's you can put the shifter where you want it. They have three holes in the top of the trans. for the shifter.
Did you have to modify your floor hump to clear the Tremec?My brother planned on putting a Tremec into his 60 conv.,but decided against it when he found out he would have to modify the floor.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
Ole Don

I put a hole in for the shifter, and before I made the new cross member I jacked it up to touch, then let it down a bit. Thats where it sits today. I cut the original trans support about four inches from the frame and added a 1/4 X 3 flat plate about four inches long ending lower. I welded in a piece of 2X3 to bridge the gap, and used a trans bisquit from a 150 with a six. I welded in a piece of 3/8 pipe and reamed the ID to fit the 5/16 through bolt for the bisquit. The trans is so big, it wont fit in the hole. I cut about a foot out of the big cross member, then welded flanges on so I could bolt it back in. There has been no sign of movement in several years driving. The trans is also to heavy for a geezer to wrestle. I made a craddle to fit the hole in the floor jack after I took the pad out.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

why not a c/6 with shift kit will bolt right up and will hold up, I have one stuck in my 68 xl 428 cj, You can bring rubber down in almost all shifts, just a thought
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
63.5 Galaxie

Cuz its a stick now, and my wife likes a manual tranny. Everything we have ever owned, other than my previous Galaxie and my Avalanche now, has been a manual tranny. Why? Cuz she likes to slam the gears around. I have found its a lot easier to have a hobby if she enjoys it too.
Also the overdrive is another good reason.
63.5 Galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

well stick to it,your right about one thing if she likes it, your better off,
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
Ole Don

The C6 is a three speed. The five speed is overdrive. Once you drive an old car with overdrive on a long trip, you will never go back. The AOD Ford, 200 or 700 R GM trans are as good as they get for you shiftless folks. I'm a shifty character.