Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2019, 09:05 PM   #1
1937sedandelivery

Default 37 wiper motor restoration

Hi guys,
I have what appears to be a stock 37 wiper motor, driver's side. It needs to get installed ASAP. I will try testing it out with a vacuum source tomorrow.
My question is, even if it works in some fashion, should I give it a refresh? For example, should I remove the top and clean/lubricate it? I have never had one apart so I don't know what to expect when the top cover screws are removed. I don't want to tear up any gaskets or have parts flying around. Maybe just a few drops of oil, here and there? I see a small hole above where the shaft is routed?
Thanks for any advice/warnings.
gregg
1937sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: 37 wiper motor restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937sedandelivery View Post
Hi guys,
I have what appears to be a stock 37 wiper motor, driver's side. It needs to get installed ASAP. I will try testing it out with a vacuum source tomorrow.
My question is, even if it works in some fashion, should I give it a refresh? For example, should I remove the top and clean/lubricate it? I have never had one apart so I don't know what to expect when the top cover screws are removed. I don't want to tear up any gaskets or have parts flying around. Maybe just a few drops of oil, here and there? I see a small hole above where the shaft is routed?
Thanks for any advice/warnings.
gregg
When you say oil I hope you plan to use something that will be gentle on the seals like ATF. Try moving the blade and suck some ATF in through the hole where the hose attaches.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
1937sedandelivery

Default Re: 37 wiper motor restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
When you say oil I hope you plan to use something that will be gentle on the seals like ATF. Try moving the blade and suck some ATF in through the hole where the hose attaches.

Charlie Stephens

Thanks Charlie.
I was going to use 3-in-1 oil. I will try to get some ATF in it somehow. I hooked up the motor to the car's vacuum and nothing happened when I pulled the lever. Well....maybe I should say not much happened. When the switch is pulled on the shaft turns a little in one direction. When the switch is pushed off, the shaft rotates back in the opposite direction.

I got desperate so I decided to disassemble the motor unit. It wasn't too nasty inside. I cleaned it out and left just a touch of ATF lube. With the top removed, I moved the inside "flapper" mechanism back and forth. It all seemed to work manually, and there was a clean snug fit.

During the re-assembly process, as I was tightening the last oblong head screw, the needlenose pliers slipped and plunged into the rotating mechanism on the front side. There is a rather fragile piece that rides on the shaft cam? and waddles back and forth as the flapper moves. The fragile piece went bye-bye and broke into pieces....damn. That is the end of that wiper motor. I can't believe there are replacement parts for the internals.

Next, will try out a second wiper motor I have lying around somewhere. Lesson learned here, be careful!

gregg
1937sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote