Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2018, 09:20 PM   #1
guy1unico

Default Silt in the carb bowl..would like to know how to eliminate or decrease

My 48 carb runs great until it gets a build up of silt in the carb and you never know when that is going to happen. If it happens i try and press my way home with the electric fuel pump but I usually end up calling a buddy or the wife to bring the tow ropes...are there any modern remedies to eliminate this crud?
guy1unico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: Silt in the carb bowl..would like to know how to eliminate or decrease

look at residue, is it slightly green/white? if it is, quit using "corn" gas (ethanol) if it is brown in color then you have a rusty tank and a good inline filter will eliminate the problem with carb, but not with the fuel tank, eventually the filter will stop up , but hey it is better than the carb! if it is brown, remove tank, flush and coat with por 15 and follow their directions
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #3
ford38v8

Default Re: Silt in the carb bowl..would like to know how to eliminate or decrease

Fuel pumps and carburetors both have sediment bowls, and even fuel tanks have the ability to isolate sediment and water from the delivery system, but as you have discovered, any and all of those safeguards can become overwhelmed. The easiest method of trapping impurities is the addition of a fuel filter, which can be placed at any point in the system, the best place depending partly on the type of impurities you have and the type of fuel pump in use. Generally, though, the best place is the most accessible and serviceable location, that being under the hood. Get a filter that is disposable, rather than the nicer looking glass ones, which are also less safe than the disposable filters. It does need to be transparent, so you can see if it needs replacing. The connections are important also, as most filters come with spring type hose clamps, which leak air in, or fuel out. Get the worm drive clamps, which can be tightened to eliminate leaks.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
grumppyoldman

I was having the same thing happening to my 41, I was told by a guy at the hot rod shop to change my fuel lines to the type used for fuel injection cars, The regular fuel lines will decompose with the ethenol gas. I've had no more problems since, I had already changed the fuel tank and line from tank to fuel pump,and the black crap still plugged the filter. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #5
Terry,OH

Have the glass bowl fuel pump?? If so install a paper fuel filter sold by NAPA
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:06 PM   #6
FireEngineMike

Al, you don't need to spend the extra money on FI hose. Buy hose that meets SAE J30R14T1. Gates makes Barricade hose in both carburetion and fuel injection specs. https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/ho...l+hose,1001642 is a link to the line at RockAuto. Also, Gates recommends beaded fittings, not barbed fittings.
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:58 PM   #7
Zephyr Q

Just to follow up on Terry's comment, the part number for the in-bowl filter is FRAM - CG3 Fuel Filter or NAPA 3039 (at least that's what I have in my notes.)
Zephyr Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
Terry,OH

There are a couple of slightly different glass bowls. One is deeper than the other, each bowl takes a different filter so it may be Best to search here for the correct filter number for your glass bowl. Or take the bowl to NAPA or your local parts store and compare the filter fit.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:15 PM   #9
Bud

Though I do not own a V8, but a lowly Model A, what I do before taking the car out in the spring is drain the gas thru a paper filter (gravity feed to a gas can on the ground) about 3 times. I recycle the gas, shaking the car before running it thru the 2nd and 3rd time. My tank rusts slightly thru the winter and this takes care of the big stuff. I also clean out the carb as well. Perhaps you can detach your fuel line and from the carburetor and run it to a gas can, turn on your electric fuel pump and clean the debris from your tank that way. Just an idea.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:06 AM   #10
FortyNiner

Until you eliminate the source of the crud, the problem will remain. Messing with filters is fine short term but solving the root cause is best. As others have suggested, work on the tank and lines would seem to be in order.