Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #1
Mart

Default 41 pickup inner fenders - Bolts??

Hi Folks.

I just want to check which locations get bolted to the frame along the lower edge of the inner fenders.

Here's what I think is right, please shout up if I have it wrong.

Top rear gets bolted to the fender and then to the cowl side via a U bracket. Front central area gets bolted to the support frame. Lower rear corner (in first pic) gets a bolt through it into the frame. On my truck this had rubber washers are those correct? (can't remember if it had one or two - that piece had fatigued off and I can't find it).

The two holes either side of the brake pipe. (Second pic, front is on the left)

Rear one gets a little rubber bumper - no bolt. there is only a small hole in the frame in this location

Front one. Not sure - this is the one I need advice on. There is a hole in the frame in this location, but it has a gap between it and the inner strengthener, that would not allow a bolt to tighten up without crushing the frame inner strengthener.

So I'm thinking it does not get a bolt, so what does it get? Another rubber bumper or nothing??

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg innerfender01.jpg (48.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg innerfender02.jpg (54.9 KB, 50 views)
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: 41 pickup inner fenders - Bolts??

Mart, I don't know the answer for sure, but I would insert a thin rubber spacer between the frame and inner fender panel and then use a bolt,washer and nut to reduce inner fender vibration and cracks.

Of course, if it's a concourse restoration that would not be correct.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:26 PM   #3
oldrelics

I think both holes by the brake hose get bumpers.....
oldrelics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:32 PM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Hi Folks.

I just want to check which locations get bolted to the frame along the lower edge of the inner fenders.

Here's what I think is right, please shout up if I have it wrong.

Top rear gets bolted to the fender and then to the cowl side via a U bracket. Front central area gets bolted to the support frame. Lower rear corner (in first pic) gets a bolt through it into the frame. On my truck this had rubber washers are those correct? (can't remember if it had one or two - that piece had fatigued off and I can't find it).

The two holes either side of the brake pipe. (Second pic, front is on the left)

Rear one gets a little rubber bumper - no bolt. there is only a small hole in the frame in this location

Front one. Not sure - this is the one I need advice on. There is a hole in the frame in this location, but it has a gap between it and the inner strengthener, that would not allow a bolt to tighten up without crushing the frame inner strengthener.

So I'm thinking it does not get a bolt, so what does it get? Another rubber bumper or nothing??

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mart.
In 1939 those pans were bolted in the one place to the frame. This continued well in to 1940.
A small piece of anti-squeak material was placed between the frame rail and pan.

Drakes advertising two bumpers per pan is incorrect.

I am NOT certain what was correct in 1941.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:44 AM   #5
Mart

Thanks guys. It's a repair on a fixer -upper rather than a resto so I went with the following.

Rear bolt: Bolted to the frame with a rubber washer each side of the inner fender.
Hole at rear of brake pipe bracket: Rubber bumper improvised from a cut down anti vibration mount.
Hole at front of brake pipe bracket: Bolted, but not very tight, using double rubber pads, to dampen movement without holding it solidly. Bolt will get self locking nut.

That last bolt made a big difference to the rigidity of the panel. Considering how badly the inner fender was stress cracked and fatigued, I thought a bit of help would not be out of place. I am also thinking modern roads are typically better than what the truck was designed for back in the day so the amount of flexibility Ford designed in isn't probably necessary these days. Limited projected mileage is also a consideration.

Thanks for the help above.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote