Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2017, 08:38 AM   #1
Hot Rod Reverend

Default carpet question for a 1955 Club Sedan...

Fellas,

It is about time to order carpet for this 1955 Club Sedan I am working on. For now, it will have the original bench seat and rear seat installed, but plans are in the works to update and customize with a mid-60s Thunderbird interior (bucket seats and that curved and chromed rear seat). Most, if not all of the carpets I see for sale have a two piece deal where the area under the front seat is not covered by carpet. If I am going with buckets eventually I will need the entire area covered.

What have you guys purchased and installed in the past and are you happy/unhappy with what you have?

thanks!
Old 12-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: carpet question for a 1955 Club Sedan...

I suggest before throwing carpet down, cut out a floorcovering underlayment from rolled roofing felt to help protect your metal floor pans from rusting through, especially if your door gaskets are leaky. Even if they are not, you still might drag snow/road salt and other contaminants in on your boots which will leak down and eat up the floor if there is no additional protective layer.
This car originally had the factory carpet still in it when I bought it in 1972. One morning in 1974, I got in it to go to work and put my foot through the driver side floor and later found that both rear passenger floorpans were also rusted through mostly due to leaky door seals.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:55 PM   #3
miker98038

I had very poor luck with the “correct” carpet fading in my 55 bird. Possibly worse as it was the green/white interior typical of the “Thunderbird Blue” paint. I found a modern carpet real close to the OEM color (only looked about 1/2 faded as the original). The carpet guy used my old one as a pattern, and extended it all the way under the seat and up behind the seat. We used the matching binding for the new carpet. I also had thoughts of buckets some day.

I used an industrial insulation under the carpet, like Dyna Mat that I got from a friend in the insulation business, and a foam pad in place of the jute.

It wasn’t cheap, but it’ll last through 3 of the OEM replacements at least. Cheap in the long run.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #4
paul2748

See my reply on the YBlock forum
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
Hot Rod Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
See my reply on the YBlock forum
You mean you replied to my post and not the one about Spam? crazy stuff, I don’t know what’s with that guy.

Thanks for the information Paul...appreciate it as always, will let you know how the order works out.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:44 PM   #6
Hot Rod Reverend

Fellas,

I will use a race car grade insulation on the sheet metal before laying the carpet down, have also already sealed the floor with chassis saver paint. Thanks for the information also. The company I ordered from was used by some fellas on another forum that drive their cars quite a bit. YMMV