Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
hammerless-12

Default Model T bands linings

I'm putting bands in a friend's 1923 model T. It has the removable bands, meaning, in theory you don't have to remove the "hogshead" to replace the band linings. But Ive never liked pulling the band's up and out of the inspection cover. When he brought the car to my place he had two "new old stock" sets of Scandinavian band linings with him for me to install in his car. Each of the new band linings are marked "For all Ford cars 1926-1927, T and TT". His thought was to use two narrow bands out of one set, then use one of the narrow bands out of the other set. Having never dealt with this before, I agreed to do the job useing his bands under the assumption the NOS band linings would work just fine. I pulled the hogshead off and found a very well worn set of linings, particularly the low speed band. As I prepared to rivet the NOS linings onto the band's I compared the lenght of each band lining, they where right on. However the NOS lining is considerably thicker. These things are thicker than any band lining I've seen for the model T. My question is this, will these linings work in this car? The NOS linings look very nice and, if I where to guess, they probably date back to the 1960s or 70s. They also came with, what I believe, steel rivets.
Any help or input is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
hammerless-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #2
29spcoupe

Default Re: Model T bands linings

The thickness of the lining will probably not be an issue, but do not use steel rivets. They can wear grooves in the drums and if they come out of the bands they will stick to the magnets and may interfere with the magneto.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
stevests

You best measure the length of each lining also - if the "Scandinavia" box has a white "Cantex" label, they were known be have put out shorter than original lengths - original Scandi's & Ford linings were in the neighborhood of 23 & 1/2" long.
stevests is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
hammerless-12

The length is right on. I did install them and they appear to be fine. I did use brass rivets I luckily had.I put the rear wheels up on Jack stands and run it awhile, the band's are "seating" in nicely. If it stops raining I will drive the car around for the next couple of days. Then re-adjust them. Thank you for your help and suggestions. First time I've broken up two old sets of bands for one car. My three cars are all 1923 and older, so I'm not well versed in the 1926-27 cars. I hope they old up well. Thanks again guys.
hammerless-12 is offline   Reply With Quote