Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
RTC1930

Default Paint Prep Question

So I am finally getting close to paint but noticed that all the manufacturers paint sheets recommend washing with water and mild detergents followed by the prep sol. Is it just me or does washing a disassembled body with water seem counter intuitive on a model A body. I have seen on shows where they take a bare steel car out and power wash it but im concerned with all the wood assembled to the steel that im going to get water in cracks and crevices with everything exposed in the A. Any one else share these concerns? Would a sponge bath of the exposed steel suffice to carry away enough of the contaminants. Or should I just go nuts with multiple applications of prep sol.

Bob, NJ
RTC1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
kenparker

Default Re: Paint Prep Question

I would use 2 or more wipe downs with "Wax and Grease Remover". Use a clean rag with each wipe.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

They do not want oil and dirt, use prep sol, soak the rag and a good washing with this will do, make sure you seal this Frost the paint over the sealer, This alone will stop fish eye and blistering\, I do water sand my sealer then air dry it, try to heat you metal up, good hot sun works great, good luck looks great .

p.s. throw the rags away outside not in your shop fire fire
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Bob, based on what I see in the picture above, you really need to be wiping that body down with Phosphoric Acid first. It looks like there is rust imbedded down in the pores that stripping didn't remove.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Kevin in NJ

Brent is right, you need to do something to fix the surface rust.

When using the pre-clean products it is important to understand that the chemical is designed to float the contaminates to the surface. Then wipe them off. If you keep using the same area of to rag then you are just moving the contaminates around, not removing them from the surface.

I apply the wax and grease remover with a air pressure spray can I got from Harbor Freight. I put the stuff in the container and pressurize with an air hose. It uses regular spray tips. I put a light coating on and wipe off, always working in small areas.

I trust you are planning on using epoxy direct to metal then some 2K filling primer to do minor leveling?
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
RTC1930

Thanks for all the input.

Yeah I have been putting off the final sanding until the days before i'm ready to spray so it does not flash back. Hopefully that will get most off and any residual I will treat. I have already treated some of the really Pitted stuff with rust converter.

Yes I am using epoxy primer and 2k filling.

Thanks again,
Bob
RTC1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
Tinbasher

Question Re: Paint Prep Question

The reason for washing the surface with Soap and water first is that the Paint manufactures are use to working on newer cars that are painted and have picked up dirt and wax from use. On a bare metal car you only need to wash with Wax and grease remover. Usually a couple of times will do it. Dry the surface well and then you can Metal Prep or clean the metal what ever way you have planned. A word of caution do not Wash a sandblasted body as the cleaner will get trapped in the pore of the metal and surface rust will form under the primer.

The Old Tinbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote