Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #21
Trout

Default Re: First restore

I finally got some time to start working on my 49 F3. Plugs, wires,oil,filter etc. So far so good, as I have been crawling around the truck I have not found any big surprises. The only rust is on the bed sides where the wood bed meets the sides but I think it can be repaired or maybe I can find a bed in better shape. I have been reading a lot about the widow maker rims and I will definitely get these off my truck before I start driving it. Can someone tell me where I can find replacement rims or maybe even some aluminum wheels that would fit this truck? Also, I have been trying to post pictures of my truck but all I get is the prompt saying "loading files". This goes on indefinitely. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:31 PM   #22
RalphM

Even a simple tear down, not full restoration , can take years . Ask me how I know.
Fix what you need too, but drive it! You will enjoy it so much more.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:12 AM   #23
Scotty's 52 F3

Those long beds (Express Beds) and running boards are extremely hard to find so do not trash anything. Fix it.

When I was looking for one I did notice there were more to be found in your part of the country than here in AZ. Maybe find some for parts or sections to make a solid one.

I looked for over a year for a good bed and ended up buying a complete truck to get it and the running boards. They are the same bed from 48-52.

I have a set of 16" F2 8 lug wheels on mine and I also have a set of late 80's F250/F350 stock steel wheels that bolt right on. There are larger options as well if you do some searching.

Scott
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #24
Trout

Thank you Scott. I figured the bed would be a hard find. I did get a lead on some old trucks not far from here, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:32 PM   #25
expavr

It sounds like you've answered the question about preserving the chassis in its OEM condition. Like others suggested use it to get a feel for its drive ability. Once you've had some experience with it and its quirks then decide what improvements would make your driving experience better. After 15+ years of driving my tonner as it came from the factory I decided to make some changes to make it more user friendly. They included changing the 4 speed non syncro transmission for a 3 speed syncro with O/D; changing the 5.86 gears in the rear end to 4.11 gears and replacing the "locking ring" rims with a set of radial rims to mount radial tires. All of these improvement made the truck easier and safer to drive in our modern traffic and were done without any substantial changes to the chassis or body. This is a long way of saying that when you've gotten up on the learning curve with your tonner you'll have a better idea of what improvements if any you'll want to do to it. Enjoy it...!!!
Les Williams
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:39 PM   #26
expavr

"Also, I have been trying to post pictures of my truck but all I get is the prompt saying "loading files". This goes on indefinitely."
It sounds like your photos are too large. I use Photoshop and reduce my photos to a 800X500 pixel format before uploading them to Fordbarn. There are other ways of doing this. Try an upload photo "search" and you'll find some threads that address this topic.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:09 PM   #27
Trout

Thank you Les. I'm glad I decided to keep it original, most of it anyway. Should be ready to crank it over tomorrow. I'll try loading some more pictures after a bit.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #28
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton View Post
Congrats on your new old truck, and Welcome to The Ford Barn!

Taking a cool old truck and making a Frankenstein out of it by mounting on a newer chassis will kill the spirit of it. You want a new truck, buy a new truck. You want a project that will languish in the shop and 50/50 never get finished, and if it does get finished, 90% sure you won't like the finished product and then you dump it for 1/2 or 1/3 of what you have in it.

But like they say, your name is on the title, not mine, so do whatever suits you!
Great Advice... as they say, "It is only original ONCE"

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:43 AM   #29
deucemac

Smile Re: First restore

My avatar roadster is my 95th car. We have replaced 2 others since then. I have learned some extremely important lessons over the years and to me there are 3 that are paramount in any restoration or preservation. All 3 of them drove my sons crazy but I held firm and they came around they are now believers. First, make it stop, Second, make it steer, and Third , make it go. Use quality parts ALWAYS, and by taking care of the safety issues (even if they appear okay originally) you will ensure you have a trustworthy vehicle. Once that is done, then proceed with the engine and drive train. Lastly, make it pretty. Rust may be unsightly but unless it is structural in nature, it's ugly can be lived with. Running off the road or worse because the steering or brakes failed is out of the equation if you follow the 3 paramount rules I listed. Through all this you will become intimately knowledgeable about your vehicle and then will know if there are "improvements" needed. Plus you will have the satisfaction that you can get in and drive your truck wherever you want, dependably. Unless you have done dozens of rebuilds, do not even consider doing it. As said before so well, most become stillborn disappointments and you take a bath financially to boot. I have a dear friend that is a lifelong hot rodder and starter on the short course at Bonneville for 30 years until his retirement a few years ago. Just as he leaned in to flag a car off on a run, he would tell the driver, "Be safe, Have fun, and Go fast" with your 6 cylinder, going fast isn't in the cards. But follow the other rules and safe and fun will last for lots of years!
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote