Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Benson

Default Mitchell Syncho or V8 gear ratios

Is anyone running the Mitchell (15% first and 15% second) synchro transmission or a V8 transmission with the 15% 1st and 15% second gear ratios (28 tooth cluster)?

If so do you have any problem starting out in 1st gear with the "tall" first gear?

What rearend ratio are you running?

Thanks
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
oldredford

Default Re: Mitchell Syncho or V8 gear ratios

I will never go back to a stock transmission. You can't beat the 15% taller gear.
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:56 AM   #3
Geo. H

I agree with oldredford. I'm running 39 gears with 3.54 rear end--B engine at 60 70 hp and lightened flywheel. This is in a roadster. If your car is heavier, you might be happier with 3.78 rear gears. Starting out is not a problem. Parades are a problem.
Geo. H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
sturgis 39

[QUOTE=Benson;149302]Is anyone running the Mitchell (15% first and 15% second) synchro transmission or a V8 transmission with the 15% 1st and 15% second gear ratios (28 tooth cluster)?

If so do you have any problem starting out in 1st gear with the "tall" first gear?

Thanks[/QUOTE

On the Mitchell transmission with a 15% overdrive on first and second gear, what is third gear. Direct?

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
Benson

Yes direct in 3rd with Mitchells and V8s. These are not ODs as such ... just high gears in 1 and 2.

[QUOTE=sturgis 39;149433]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Is anyone running the Mitchell (15% first and 15% second) synchro transmission or a V8 transmission with the 15% 1st and 15% second gear ratios (28 tooth cluster)?

Thanks[/QUOTE

On the Mitchell transmission with a 15% overdrive on first and second gear, what is third gear. Direct?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
Benson

Thanks to all for replies.

Geo

My Coupe is similar to yours, 3.54, B engine and etc and as I remember you are at about 6000 feet as I am.

I will give the 16/28 gearset a try. If a problem I can change to the 15/29.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Mike_Ovale

I’m using a 15% over 1st & 2nd with a strong stock engine w/26% over drive all Mitchell 3.78 rear end in 1928 Tudor used for club touring. I have found no problems getting it moving from a stop even uphill on pavement from a stop but have found that on some dirt roads with a steep rough grade starting out or driving real slow the tires will spin. Now that’s the only time that I found the granny gear might help. I found with the stock transmission gearing I was losing my momentum shifting to high due to the RPM drop shifting to high gear climbing long hills. The 15% 2nd really makes for a better change on the engine power keeping the RPM’s up shifting to high gear.
Mike
Mike_Ovale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
Renorust

It works and it works well. If you go for the Mitchell, choose the 15% advantage for first and second. It's a dream box to row through gears.
Renorust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Ovale View Post
I’m using a 15% over 1st & 2nd with a strong stock engine w/26% over drive all Mitchell 3.78 rear end in 1928 Tudor used for club touring. I have found no problems getting it moving from a stop even uphill on pavement from a stop but have found that on some dirt roads with a steep rough grade starting out or driving real slow the tires will spin. Now that’s the only time that I found the granny gear might help. I found with the stock transmission gearing I was losing my momentum shifting to high due to the RPM drop shifting to high gear climbing long hills. The 15% 2nd really makes for a better change on the engine power keeping the RPM’s up shifting to high gear.
Mike
Thanks for the post. I was wondering how that combination would work. It is probably around $4500 plus.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post

Thanks
Benson,
You have a lot of choices..which is good!
I think what body style is 'somewhat' important(not mentioned)in the final equation..no?
Anyway, in my roadster: '39 synchro with zepher gear set ; 3:54 rear gear set. Note: A very knowledgable model a guy said ..won't work/too high,etc.. It runs out very strong/lengthy in first/second!! Cruises with low engine rpm in high!
In my '29 sport coupe: rebuilt stock trany with 3:27 rear gear set. Power first/second gears and lower engine speed in high for touring! Like I said many choices. Good luck
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
Benson

Thanks for all of the replies! That helps!