Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #1
Mark Gus

Default 1940 - 41 Truck fender question

I am in the process of building a 1941 truck (1/2 ton) for my wife. The truck is very complete and has both rear fenders but they are typical "beat to death" truck fenders. The drivers side can be brought back with minimal effort but the passenger side rear is pretty sad. I'd rather not use fiberglass replacements (OK she would rather me not use glass fenders) on her truck.

I need to know if there are years other than 1940 and 1941 that will fit this application. I've had folks tell me some of the post war truck fenders are the same so I'm asking for your advice. Heading to the Pate swap meet in a couple days to go shopping.

My thanks in advance and my lovely bride will be tickled to keep her baby all steel.

Mark
Mark Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
Mike Conshafter

Default Re: 1940 - 41 Truck fender question

Mark-

1938-1941 1/2 ton rear fenders are the same. They are out there, there has been a few perfect sets on eBay over the last month that have gone from $1,600 - $2,400 / pair. Singles depending on the work needed have gone 200 - 650 over the last couple months. .....Just to give you an idea. Ive been watching because I have a 41' pickup that could possibly use better fenders if I decide to restore it some day. Stick with steel!

Good luck,
Mike
Mike Conshafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
Kube

Mark,
1942 through 1947 rear fenders are nearly the same as your '41. Nearly.
You'll need to graph in the recess for the spare tire as well as "swap" the lower edge that ultimately bolts to the running board. There are other very small (perhaps not noticeable to a novice) differences between them as well.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
Seth Swoboda

I'll add that I'm impressed that your wife wants a '41 pickup or any Early Ford V8 vehicle! Congratulations.
Seth Swoboda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #5
Mark Gus

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. Hopefully I'll find something at Pate.
The better half is VERY traditional as far as real steel is concerned. She had a 40 hot rod pickup a few years back but it was sacrificed along with our 37 humpback 2 door sedan as a down payment on our house. She had a 28 model A hot rod roadster pickup and a couple T-birds (55 & 57) but ever since she sold her old 40 she has wanted a 40 or 41 truck. This one came from MO and is rock solid. It has decades old black paint and she wants to drive it "as is". She said it will never be sold. She is a keeper (the wife that is).
Mark Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:57 PM   #6
flyboy89

Heck, I'm in the same boat with my '41. The rear fenders have just about the life beat out of them but I can't afford that kind of coin for replacement steel fenders yet. I'm going to use glass fenders for now. The money I save now can be used for other things to get it on the road. I feel your pain, though.
flyboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote