Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2016, 07:28 AM   #21
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: 6 volt lights

On my 32 I installed 35 Watt Halogen bulbs and new reflectors - they work pretty well and cast a nice wide light pattern for the country roads around me. The stock 18 amp generator would not handle the bulbs without being at a slight discharge, so I did have my generator reworked with an alternator core by EJ Whitney (see link below).

The converted generator is slightly larger in diameter in the case, but one really can't tell. It has a fake cutout on top - you hook up the wires in the normal fashion. I just dropped it in and off I went - great product. It is not a cheap conversion, but just about nothing on my car seems to be cheap anyway (something to do with that damn '32' year ).

http://www.ejwhitneyco.com/automotive.html

Only picture I have of it - not that great but you'll get the idea:

13719494_10153740475862864_8626741441507731759_o copy.jpg
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #22
Brooks

Coolcoupe, JSeery diagram is what you use. Great dirgram? You can get the relays and pigtails on eBay. Have a great day! Brooks
Old 07-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #23
coolcoupe

Thanks, Brooks and JSeely, just what I needed, even I can fiqure that out !!!
coolcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #24
fourfords

Sorry, don't mean to change the "Focus" of this thread but for just a moment. Just curious, how many of you who have posted here are running stock, 6 Volt generators with your Halogen headlight bulbs?

I was told that Halogen and sealed beam bulbs will only work properly with the use of Alternators and not generators. Was I misinformed?

Thanks

Last edited by fourfords; 07-18-2016 at 08:27 PM. Reason: added comment
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #25
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfords View Post
Sorry, don't mean to change the "Focus" of this thread but for just a moment. Just curious, how many of you who have posted here are running stock, 6 Volt generators with your Halogen headlight bulbs?

I was told that Halogen and sealed beam bulbs will only work properly with the use of Alternators and not generators. Was I misinformed?

Thanks
Reference post #15 in this thread for the Halogen bulbs I use in stock '35 headlights with stock headlight sockets, an original '35 Ford generator, with a Fun Projects electrictronic voltage regulator that looks like a cutout sitting on top of the generator that's in my Avatar '35 fordor sedan. This is NOT a trailer/garage queen. I have driven this car over 30k miles since I have owned it with these Halogen bulbs installed.
Not sure who is telling you what, but if you talk to the folks who make/sell these bulbs, they will tell you that these particular Halogen bulbs do not draw the high current as the earlier generation Halogen bulbs did. Their website and a contact person is listed on the box pictured in that post.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-18-2016 at 09:01 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote