Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2016, 10:29 PM   #21
jax55

Default Re: Generator rebuild issues

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. I am closing in on this thing, slowly but surely.
I will update when I get this thing working. This should be an easy job, but it is turning into a nightmare.
It is like a puzzle, that I will NOT give up on.
jax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #22
jax55

OK guys, this thing is finally done. I had to take a break from it due to family things, so it has not taken all this time to get it done.
After rotating the field coils 180 degrees, I also had to take a little off one of the pole shoes to keep it from hitting the armature.
Today I got it all back together again, it motors in the correct direction and no longer hits the armature... it also now actually works on the car. YAY!!
Thanks for all your help and suggestions, it is greatly appreciated as always.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-24-2016, 07:43 PM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

You shouldn't have taken anything off the pole shoes or armature, as everything fit correctly before. If the shoes and case were clean, then the poles shoes weren't tight enough. I've run into that a couple times, and had to take them to the shop with the poles shoe tightener tool. As tight as I could get the screws, they needed to be a bit tighter. Hope the output is good and it keeps working for you.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #24
Cool Hand Lurker

From "www.antiquemotorcycle.org" forum:

"Quote Originally Posted by gharper View Post
Jim,

Don't try to pull them in just using the screws, you'll likely booger up the screws and not get them in tight anyway. Harbor freight has cheap pipe expanders, or get friendly with somebody at your local muffler shop. Have the pole shoes in place, with the fields and screws started. Once you get a good expander inside, just open it up tight and set the screws. It works very quickly. Be careful if you get one of the monkeys at Midas running a hydraulic expander, they could distort the case, just snug them up until the pole shoe is tight against the body.

Gene
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #25
jax55

OK, so I used hex head bolts and pulled the poles in and it still hit. When I removed the bolts and held the pole against the case... I could not detect any noticeable gap between the two. What I removed from the pole (One) was a burr that was holding the pole at a little angle as the armature was only showing a drag in one spot.
Next time I will do the expander as Cool Hand suggested.
If that doesn't do it, I will take Tom's advise and find a rebuilder to use his tool.
All input is/ was appreciated.