Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2016, 07:14 AM   #21
Steve_Mack_CT

Default Re: Facebook

Well, still post on AACA and re-joined Fordbarn when we acquired another Model A last year. I find myself doing a lot more on FB though, because I am fairly busy rather than I have time to kill. LOTS out there on Model A, T, and prewar cars in general. But I also like a couple of bands and sports teams, and I do like to keep in touch with some family and friends. That 45 minute statistic seems about right in my case - but in that time I can get caught up with some car guys, High School pals (30 year reunion in a couple mos.), the Sox & Pats, the Stones & the Pretenders and maybe even see a cat playing the piano. No worse then junk TV. Sit there with the laptop while the Mrs. watches whatever she wants, just another networking tool to me that is kind of one stop shopping.

I will say heavy duty tech discussion is still largely forums like this but tech topics and items for sale pop up regularly, and you can block a lot of the noise (political crap for example - enough!!) if you take the time to do so.

Bob, one other thing, if you are wondering where all the prewar guys went from AACA, it's FB. Not saying it replaces the other forums, but it can really be just another online tool. I will go where the things are that are of interest, and for prewar cars there are tons of pages and groups out there. I think I am in 3 Model A groups that are very active.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #22
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
I'm not allowed to have a Facebook account.. My wife is afraid all my old girl friends will look me up

But she has one

Had that crap actually happen by more than one.... Funny when you're happy some past women years (like 5 years later) later like to ___ with you... I thank God my Wife trusts me...

Advice, DON'T LOOK FOR FOLKS ONLINE when you're single.... Still dealing with stalkers....

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #23
tbirdtbird
BANNED

all the pre-war 90 yo AACA guys went to FaceBook?..... amazing.........

so many ppl cannot even manage to post a pic to the Fordbarn
Old 06-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #24
Steve_Mack_CT

Tbird, it might be worth checking out. If you have FB check out a fast growing group for younger prewar fans - "Generation X,Y, Z Prewar Cars" - full disclosure, it was my idea (why they let me stay at 52 years of age... ), but it is maintained by an AACA/FB friend who is 36 and heavily involved in prewar cars. The idea being a place for those prewar guys under say, 40 to 50 to network and know they have like minded, like aged peers out there. I am happy it is rolling along, so much talk about interesting younger people in these cars and Michael (the group admin) is actually doing something about it. Members have brass, A, T, Ford V-8, CCCA and just plain old prewar cars. Proof that at least some people out there in that age bracket have this interest. They are likely already FB users who for some reason have not seeked out other forums like Fordbarn.

The above group, the AACA group and the MARC FB group all see a lot of activity daily. I suspect it is largely due to the fact that a robust site like this might have say, 10,000 - 15,000 or more registered users with a smaller fraction of those who post regularly, FB has millions, so the law of numbers comes into play.

I am not sure a lot of the guys on the AACA forum are in fact 90, but the discussion is heavy on 50s - 60s cars now, not my thing (unless Euro) and when I found the prewar regulars there went to FB that is what drove me to finaly set up an account. Hey, its free, if you find it isn't for you, worst case is you are out an hour or so of your time checking it out.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #25
Bruce Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
I'm not allowed to have a Facebook account.. My wife is afraid all my old girl friends will look me up

But she has one
Yeah, Thanks ! Your ex girlfriends are all stalking ME on Facebook !
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #26
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

My two daughters (that I know of) forbid me from going on FB. FB, they said, is the last place I need to go and I have to agree with them, their inheritance might disappear if I do.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:28 PM   #27
Roadster62

Steve, Could you please explain how Facebook differs from the AACA Forum or The Ford Barn? I will admit I was on Face Book so I could list large items on a town only swap meet site up until it clogged my email with every listing and related post. Also EVERY person I sold something to on eBay in the past 15 years wanted to "friend" me, NO THANKS! Bob
Old 06-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #28
Steve_Mack_CT

Bob, not that different - but AACA is like 90% postwar stuff in general discussion. Except for a couple of holdouts - you, AJ (who I am working on daily to come on over ) the prewar guys who made AACA a great place are there now, drove me to check it out and I simply find it convenient. But I am not an active seller like you so I can see where that could be a PITA. I stay away from politics and have no interest in ex girlfriends so I eliminated 90% of the headaches right there.

I will say to some degree I understand this sentiment from AJ - FB does tend to be more original poster centric while forums like this are topic centric; so a "thread" on a given topic likely gets more developed on AACA or FordBarn. I agree with that. FB on the other hand, has more topic and is so big lots of special interest "groups". So there are some differences, and I get that. Just another tool really, to me. I like having both for what it is worth.

Are you going to Klingberg tomorrow? We have spoken a couple times @ Hershey but it has been a long time would love to say hello.

Steve

Last edited by Steve_Mack_CT; 06-17-2016 at 07:42 AM. Reason: clarity
Steve_Mack_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #29
Jim Brierley

FB has a group called "banger hot rods", not for everybody but my cup of tea. I don't 'friend' a lot of people because it takes too much of my time and am not interested in family pictures. When banger hot rod guys post, it appears on my home page, very convenient.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #30
Tom Wesenberg

I don't get this "friend" thing. How does that change anything if you friend or not?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #31
tbirdtbird
BANNED

LOL that way you can brag how many friends you have.
Plus if you friend someone, and they post an image/msg on their facebook page, it will automatically show up on YOUR facebook page.

Sorry, I already spend way too much time on the computer; and I do not necessarily care what a whole bunch of other ppl are posting; I don't need to weed thru hundreds of cross posts everyday like my wife.

It all seems a bit artificial to me...........
I had a facebook page but when i saw how easily it got out of control, and saw how crappy their security was, I shut it down within a month.
I have a real life to live, not an imaginary computer life.
One 'mechanic' I know (who doesn't know a spark plug from an AC compressor) posts a bunch of links he visits every day. He has no actual life, so he cannot post any of that. Why would I possibly be interested in all the websites he visited today? He is not someone anyone can learn anything from. Once you explain a certain new task to him, such as timing a Model A, you have to explain it again and again every single time he tries it; ie there is no retention at all. Why do I want any part of his FB postings? This is the same guy that tried to tell me that you charge 134 into the high side. Really!!!!??? Kaboom!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2016, 01:43 PM   #32
Tom Wesenberg

"This is the same guy that tried to tell me that you charge 134 into the high side. Really!!!!??? "

One guy did that years ago and sued GM. That's why GM started putting a different size fitting on the high side. He may have lost a couple fingers, as I recall.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 06-17-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #33
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I don't get this "friend" thing. How does that change anything if you friend or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
LOL that way you can brag how many friends you have.
Plus if you friend someone, and they post an image/msg on their facebook page, it will automatically show up on YOUR facebook page.

Sorry, I already spend way too much time on the computer; and I do not necessarily care what a whole bunch of other ppl are posting; I don't need to weed thru hundreds of cross posts everyday like my wife.

It all seems a bit artificial to me...........
I had a facebook page but when i saw how easily it got out of control, and saw how crappy their security was, I shut it down within a month.
I have a real life to live, not an imaginary computer life.
One 'mechanic' I know (who doesn't know a spark plug from an AC compressor) posts a bunch of links he visits every day. He has no actual life, so he cannot post any of that. Why would I possibly be interested in all the websites he visited today? He is not someone anyone can learn anything from. Once you explain a certain new task to him, such as timing a Model A, you have to explain it again and again every single time he tries it; ie there is no retention at all. Why do I want any part of his FB postings? This is the same guy that tried to tell me that you charge 134 into the high side. Really!!!!??? Kaboom!!!!!!
That Is the kind of guy I'm talking about when I say 1 year of experience 20 times. They never get any better than one year. We had some of them trying to be machinist also. They are all over the place.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #34
tbirdtbird
BANNED

thanks for that, Tom, I always wondered why that was!!!!!!!
I still have my adapter; but now everything is the specialized 134 fittings.....which I am sure someone has defeated
Old 06-20-2016, 06:01 PM   #35
Flathead37

I'm on Facebook. I use it partly as a build diary for my cars. I set them up,as pages so I don't get the friend requests from it and nobody needs to see my family stuff.
I like it a lot for that. I have people from all over the world following my build.
Flathead37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:21 PM   #36
ODFever

I'm on the MARC and MAFCA FB pages every day. The administrators work hard to keep both pages spam free and on topic. I look at them as more opportunities to learn about our beloved A's in an interactive manner. I learn a lot from this site as well. I'm new to A ownership - I bought Alyssa about 18 months ago. Reading articles in magazines isn't the same as reading about the troubles and solutions posted here and on FB. I add to my mental toolbox with every thread and every post on here and on Facebook.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:41 PM   #37
G&N Farms

I was a teacher and was unable to be on FB until I retired. My ex-students contact me there and it's public and I don't have to answer right away. I also found the club I want to join on FB. The club closer to where I live is out dated on their web site. Makes you wonder which club is more active.
G&N Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:50 AM   #38
TerryH

It's kind of funny how some folks just trash FB, because of all the excess postings. The reality is you can control most of that, and you can unfriend folks that you do not want follow or see their silly family pictures. No one is forcing you to spend all of your waking hours there, or on Fordbarn either; like most things, a little self control is good!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:23 AM   #39
Cornishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
The friend thing is a filter that ensures you only receive posts that you want. It is really effective, it is not merely a bragging tool. Interestingly the Ford Barn also has a friends facility.
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:54 AM   #40
mshmodela

As a guy who makes a living doing IT work, FB and other s (Google, yahoo, AOL, MSFT); Make money on selling ADS based on the Data they keep on you... If you use them, I would highly limit what you post... Also, your cell phone TXT as practically public, us it with sparingly.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote