Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2016, 08:22 AM   #21
fondoffords

Default Re: 59-ab pistons

Thanks for the answers guys. I'm going to get the right pistons and put it together right. I have always had a low power issue with this engine and now I know why.
fondoffords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #22
Walt Dupont--Me.

I've got one of those 59 blocks, but it will hold a pencel on the front, the bore is 3-3/16 + .040 It's hard to figure out if original it was 3-1/16 or 3-3/16. I'm kind of scared to bore it 3-5/16, it's 3-3/16 + .040 now, I think I better try to clean it at .060. What do you think? Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #23
flatjack9

So it has 59 on the bellhousing?
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #24
rotorwrench

Walt
If you know some one with a sonic test set, you might try that first but a lot of the early ones won't go much more than 3 3/16". If it's already .040" over that, it may be a 239 block anyway.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:43 AM   #25
Bored&Stroked

Yeah - I'd definitely sonic test the bores - at about 12 places per bore. That way, you'll know what you have to work with - along with any slight core shift in place. On a street engine, I like to not go much thinner than about .150 if I have a choice - others will push the envelope and be down around .100 to .120 (that is a bit thin for my liking).
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:44 AM   #26
scooder

Walt I have one of those odd blocks aswell in my pile. Has the pencil shelf has 59 rit big on the bell. It's 3 1/16" bore.
I've only had a rudimentary feel around with my fingers and thumbs, it definitely has a lot less heft than my 99A blocks, much more like my 81A and 21A blocks. A sonic test is needed I believe.
Martin.
Dale,
Just out of interest, I've seen Pete post his desired minimum wall thickness to be 0.090" this is after he's hogged um out to north of 3 3/8". I wounder what thickness they monkey motion engines have. I've seen folk get scared at 0.030" over on some of these things.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:44 AM   #27
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Walt I have one of those odd blocks aswell in my pile. Has the pencil shelf has 59 rit big on the bell. It's 3 1/16" bore.
I've only had a rudimentary feel around with my fingers and thumbs, it definitely has a lot less heft than my 99A blocks, much more like my 81A and 21A blocks. A sonic test is needed I believe.
Martin.
Dale,
Just out of interest, I've seen Pete post his desired minimum wall thickness to be 0.090" this is after he's hogged um out to north of 3 3/8". I wounder what thickness they monkey motion engines have. I've seen folk get scared at 0.030" over on some of these things.
Martin.
A lot of modern engines are thin-wall castings . . . great example a Ford 302 block (think roller motor from the 80's). I can pickup one of those blocks all day long by myself and not ruin my back. They reduced costs on material and lightened the cars - so they accomplished two things. On a 302, most folks don't like to bore much past .030. Tell you what - I have one that I'm putting together in the next couple of weeks - it is at .030. I will sonic test it for the Hell of it - just to see! Another thing that does come into play is the rod-length and bore thickness on the thrust side. Short rod motors will typically have more thrust pressure than long-rod motors - so another thing to think about.

When Pete is building a big-cube motor like this, it is an ALL OUT race deal - so consider that in the thickness numbers. The other problem with old blocks and thin walls is that you don't know where you might have a rust pocket or other thin spot. You can sonic test all you want, but the risk keeps going up - the more you bore.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #28
scooder

Good stuff Dale,
I'd be really interested on what you find on that 302, just curiosity really, but cool to know.
Thanks,
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:40 AM   #29
Bored&Stroked

Sure will - heck, you have me interested as well! The block is what is known as a 'Mexican 302' - it is a 70's block that has bigger main caps - so a 'poor mans way' to build a fairly stout race engine. We'll be putting it into a SCCA/NASA road-race mustang that we have fun with. Nothing like 400 HP in a semi-light race car.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:06 AM   #30
sidevalve8ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Sure will - heck, you have me interested as well! The block is what is known as a 'Mexican 302' - it is a 70's block that has bigger main caps - so a 'poor mans way' to build a fairly stout race engine. We'll be putting it into a SCCA/NASA road-race mustang that we have fun with. Nothing like 400 HP in a semi-light race car.
I always understood that the Mexican blocks had a bit higher nickel content than the standard 302's. Rumor had it that the cylinder walls were a bit thicker too but I have no way of confirming that.