Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #21
40ford

Default Re: 40 Transmission Problems:

Looks like I would get a lot of grinding gears if this was happening.It seems like all the time just as I get ready to stop say at a light it will just fall right into first if i do it right before it quits rolling.If I wait until I completely stop and then try to go to first that is when sometimes it feels like it does not want to go in!I will get the same thing when I get ready to park and try to go to reverse to shut it off?
40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #22
jhb

I had similar problems with my '40 after a rebuild. I had trouble shifting for 19,000 miles thinking these old trannys were just 'hard to shift'. It finally started making big noise and I removed it and took it to 'AA Quality Transmissions' on Tressler Avenue in Stuart, Fl. They found many problems, and bought all the replacement parts from Mac Van Pelt. They did a very good job and it now shifts as good as any new car on the road. I think they would also do the removal. It was well worth it. I think I spent about 1,500 total. Your also correct to get the flywheel dressed and replacing the pilot bearing, clutch plate, throw-out bearing and all other related parts no matted how new they are. This company is very good at these old trannies.
jhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:34 AM   #23
Rwalker

I agree with Ken/Alabama,The problem you are having is in the pilot bearing. I have run into this many times. The bearing is allowing the input shaft to turn when clutch is disengaged.
The sync. are keeping the gears from grinding going from first to second and second to third.
The bearing isn't bad enough to cause the shaft to turn all the time,the reason you are not having problem all the time.
Rwalker
Rwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:46 AM   #24
tinman080

Check your motor and tranny mounts. A slightly shifting engine can cause this exact problem.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:43 AM   #25
40ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwalker View Post
I agree with Ken/Alabama,The problem you are having is in the pilot bearing. I have run into this many times. The bearing is allowing the input shaft to turn when clutch is disengaged.
The sync. are keeping the gears from grinding going from first to second and second to third.
The bearing isn't bad enough to cause the shaft to turn all the time,the reason you are not having problem all the time.
Rwalker
If that was the case would it not be hard to get into first without grinding?It goes into first and reverse with no grinding at all.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #26
slowforty

Check the equalizer shaft (7503 in the drawing) .The one on my 40 was cracked and caused all kinds of intermittent shifting problems. Take it off and inspect for cracks. Or watch the operation from below while someone pushes on the clutch pedal
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:50 AM   #27
Rwalker

Falling into first while car is rolling means the input shaft of transmission is turning the same speed as output through rotating of drive shaft. You have a clutch problem,whether it be bearing, disk, pressure plate,or clutch linkage as slowforty states,check these before sending transmission out to be repaired.
Rwalker
Rwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:24 PM   #28
40ford

Here is update on transmission.The mechanic found several problems inside.Had to replace the synchronizer assembly,three bearing assemblies and cluster shaft.He said it appeared like it had been ran dry sometime in the past????All the gears looked good and it is back together ready to be reinstalled.I plan on getting new clutch and pressure plate from Ft. Wayne.I noticed they just show remanufactured for 40 Fords.Will I be safe to go this route or get a new assembly from other sources?
Old 04-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #29
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Think you would be hard pressed to find a better source than Ft Wayne. If they remanufacture them, they should be fine (most likely better than anything you could find new).
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:03 PM   #30
40larry

Before you change any parts take your grease gun and push some grease through the fitting on the bottom of steering column next to the shifting arms. With a little luck this should solve your problem. I have solved this same problem several times in the past by lubricating this linkage.............40larry
40larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:00 AM   #31
40ford

Yes,I greased and lubed up the shifter column and that seemed to help some but I guess these internal transmission problems was the culprit.I bought another transmission just to have some extra parts if needed!I drive my car quiet a lot and hopefully I will be back to Happy Motoring.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #32
jhb

www.vanpeltsales.com Mac Van Pelt carries every part you need for your engine and tranny and he is very good to deal with. He carries quality parts and knows what he's doing.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:30 PM   #33
40ford

Well ,transmission is back in and shifts good and all is quiet.The clutch from Ft. Wayne is smooth as silk. I am back on the road again!Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:13 PM   #34
jhb

Glad you smoothed out your troubles, I'm also glad I had mine gone through, it's like shifting any new car. jhb