Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #21
okiedokie

Default Re: More Vintique cra-

No resolution.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #22
Karl Wescott

Ok guys... I am going to step in with a view from the other side of the counter.

I cannot tell you guys how many times I have been told the hook and saddle style wiper arm/blades are junk because they flop side to side as they wipe... Of course they do, thats original. So guess what... Vintique steps up and makes a slightly more modern design (bayonet) to fit the 1940. (They also sell the original style)

Of course they are not original... they are an updated design. The problem here is not solely with Vintique, much of the problem may be with the retailer that these were purchased from (Vintique does not sell direct) who may have been ignorant of the difference, or just did not care. If they were purchased from a swap meet table or epay then caveat emptor and shame on anyone from complaining (if you are buying blind then YOU should know Vintique sells two styles.)

IMHO Vintique, Drake, and Carpenter et cetera ALL make good parts, but not all their parts are perfect, if there is anything that can be called perfect. All have some parts that may be less than optimum, but generally are better than making from scratch.

Oh yea, take any of the "original - perfect copy" and "authentic in every detail" with just a much credibility as the "rust free" and "NOS - just a little shelf wear" claims. Especially when it is from a vendor at a swap meet or on epay, rather from the manufacturer. Unfortunatly honestly describing a product will result in a sale to a inferior competetors product, or a person who buys the cheapest will decide ALL repro stuff is junk (they got what they wanted... the cheapest).
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #23
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR&C View Post
...As for quality/ standards, most people are not willing to pay for quality i guess, they want it cheap, so they settle for cheap junk. There does not seem to be any middle ground.
I agree with that statement, to a point. With off-shore labor as cheap as it is, there is potential for vendors to offer stuff BETTER than or at least equal to original at a somewhat higher price. If offered a choice between two levels of quality, I think there would be decent demand for the Better Quality pieces, and most would live with the cheaper. But at least there would be a choice.

On the other side of the coin, my perception is vendors are happy to make max profit off the cheap stuff.
Ross F-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #24
296 V8
BANNED

All I was saying was
I’m real thankful for all the people out there makin parts……pulling some of it off and not going crazy form super picky customers and government interference cant be easy.

An example
Simply put….the Drake deluxe grill for my dads 40 was outF…ing standing and it was a reject blem.

If it wasn’t for stuff like this what would NOS or decent be selling for?
296 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #25
sanborn

Maybe I am just "too easy"------but almost all the stuff that I ordered from Drake has been OK! Yeah, some stuff required a little modification and some stuff was returned----but I never had a problem with Drake and the returns. But just keep in mind that even original Ford parts varied when new. I can't speak for Vintige parts, I don't think I ever purchased any----but Drake in my experience has been OK.
sanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #26
Cecil/WV

Although they sell some good products, in my opinion, Harbor freight sells more crap than Drake, Carpenter, C &G and others put together. I also realize that they are not selling reproduction parts for our Fords. I have had no problems with Drake. I'm disappointed that some of Carpenter's stuff is Chinese, but where else do you go?? I was in the Martinsburg Mall last Friday and the aisles were filled with weekend vendors and most of their stuff was also Chinese junk.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #27
tb40

I agree there is nothing any worse than being dissatisfied with a product you just purchased with your hard earned money.
I don't know what to say here . No answers here just don't let it happen again. I am amazed that the vendors in question are able to hang in and survive.I hang around a small business myself and the cost of one employee is beyound my comprehension.
The cost of getting goods from China has become very expensive for the retailers . I am thinking that the vendors are still here mainly due to their dedicated desire to keep the hobby going.I am most sure the business itself is unable to support itself any more. I could be wrong but the cost of the material to produce the goods has went up so much in the past three years.
Many materials used in the aircraft industry have become unavailable from mills in the USA. I will shut up now I don't want to bore you guys .I am just speaking some thoughts,ideas
No matter what false advertising in not right. If the case be.

Travis
tb40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #28
mj40's

Truth to be said, I would bet most parts are made buy the same manufactures over seas. You really don't think Drake and Vintiques stand around all day mass producing these items????? I have bought a lot of parts from Drake and will continue to as long as he can supply to my needs. But then again I’m a street rodder and original is not my thing but I enjoy them!
mj40's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #29
Frank The Plumber

I find it rather sad I guess that the parts that were made 75 years ago can not be made to any precision today, For gosh sakes, we think we are so smart, but we can't even copy a part in hand that was made in 1938. There is something wrong, be it intelligence, be it engineering, be it a take it or leave it attitude, there is definitely something wrong. It's very arrogant of the manufacturer/ parts broker to accept this misfitment of components as business as usual. It costs only pennies to build it to a better standard per unit as compared to a poor one, the actual making of the part is most likely the least expensive part of the operation. The actual money spent on a $50 part and the margin it represents is mostly spent on USA intellect, the brain trust that designed and composed the part, the shipping, the infrastructure of the company to sell market and pipe line the part. The fumble of the ball is actually occurring on this side of the pond, those guys over there have actually in most cases all of the newest and best equipment to make stuff, they will make what ever you want to any spec, the spec and acceptance of product is all on this side of the pond. I do not blame the guy in China making 30 cents an hour for the product quality, I blame the guy here making a comfortable wage calling the shots for setting the standard and trying to play the game with a square ball.
The larger problem is that when a container of product comes in and does not meet spec it should be sent back, in critical cases it would be, unfortunately we will buy at the best price, then the off product gets market dumped at a lower price, pulls down the price median, destroys the ability of a manufacturer supplier to compete against that off product and next you have the off product as the new market standard. If you as the consumer accept that product as fit, that is your new quality mark median. If you buy split pants cause they are cheap, the fashion will be split pants, don't cry if your fanny is cold when you buy split pants.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #30
46ford

If we were building these cars on an assembly line, and an out-of-print part from a supplier caused a "no-build" situation, trust me, it would be a teachable moment for the supplier (and very expensive). Without the leverage of volume contracts there isn't much you can do if something doesn't fit exactly right. Even the retailer who might buy 50 parts a year can't do much.
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #31
Bill in Al

The Chinese build our parts to the standards required by our draftsmen and engineers who are paid by our businessmen. If the standards are high,the Chinese will build accordingly. To keep the price down,the standards are lowered,the Chinese drop the manufacturing price and we buy.---And complain!
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #32
Rustyspokes

Up here in Canada we can only get what is available, and here in B.C. most of the parts are Vintique with some from Carpenter's and the price is not cheap, I sent to a parts place in Sacramento and for a 3 lb box with 3 little parts enclosed I paid $50 for shipping, won't do that again so I'm stuck with what's here and will modify where necessary.... JMO....
Rustyspokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #33
Coupe35

I would pay more for quality and fit right. Some of these rubbber parts I've purchased lately do not fit correctly. They look good and maybe the quality of the rubber is good but the fit is way off. If you are making dies to mold parts, looks like it would be just as easy to make the molds right as to make them wrong. But I agree, we would be lost if not for some of the vendors out there.
Coupe35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #34
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Al View Post
The Chinese build our parts to the standards required by our draftsmen and engineers who are paid by our businessmen. If the standards are high,the Chinese will build accordingly. To keep the price down,the standards are lowered,the Chinese drop the manufacturing price and we buy.---And complain!
Bill, You nailed it on the head! The Chinese are quite capable of building anything we desire. If Drake or the others in question here send a drawing with close tolerances it will cost a bit more to produce than a drawing with loose tolerances.
Those that suggest drake and the others stay at this because they 'care' about the hobby... c'mon, maybe a little, but mainly they stay at it for profit.
One fellow asked how it is they manage to remain in business. easy enough to answer... simply read many of the replies to this post. A lot of guys either don't know the difference between good parts and crap or they simply do not care.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #35
Frank The Plumber

All parts are made to GE spec. good enough. Regardless of who they are made for or by.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:02 AM   #36
1oldtimer

NOS or good used.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #37
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank The Plumber View Post
All parts are made to GE spec. good enough. Regardless of who they are made for or by.
It is the purchaser that demands what exactly the GE (good enough) specifications are.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #38
Frank The Plumber

Unfortunately Kube, you are not correct in that statement, if you were the whole topic would not even be up for discussion. What kind of soup today? Chicken!! What if I don't like chicken? GET OUT!! NO SOUP FOR YOU, GET OUT OR ELSE!!! NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!! All you need is 50.00000001% for, to win. 49.99999999%,against, NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #39
DICK SPADARO

Hooray for social networking internet sites, instant information for common and not so common problems.

Since there are a bunch of people getting all wound up on this post about shoddy quality it needs to be explained what aspect of shoddy workmanship there is on a $4.00 wiper blade and a $6.00 arm.

I'm guessing that the shoddy quality blame is the fact that the arms rotate to the side or upward when the vehicle speed reaches over 50MPH. If this seems to be the problem, its not with the wiper blades its with aerodynamics of the vehicle. It seems that since most posters were very young in the 30's or 40's its a pretty good chance that they wouldn't remember that based upon the road conditions average vehicle speed was around 45 mph. Today hopping into your freshened ride and tooling along at 60+ highway speed, like your new over priced SUV, is going to have some issues and require different approaches to solve.. Any way if this isn't the problem please post what it is so all this isn't wasted key strikes.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #40
Bill in Al

Dick,you're right.I've had a drivers license for 58years and remember the old days of 50mph and quality. Designs and necessity then didn't require what we do now. But heck we have to fuss about something.
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote