Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #1
fourbangerbob

Default Minnesota title inspection

In Minnesota the inspector must see the serial number stamped on the frame....On a Model A the number is under the body cowl when the car is assembled....Is there a alternate?
fourbangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Minnesota title inspection

You can try one of those "manufacturers" plates on the firewall and hope the inspector doesn't know any better. These cars are 80+ years old. They don't get a lot of experience with them. Any cars coming into Pa are subject to the same serial number verification. We also need a rubbing of the serial number. It can be a PITA. Get a copy of the law and see what exceptions are in it.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbangerbob View Post
In Minnesota the inspector must see the serial number stamped on the frame....On a Model A the number is under the body cowl when the car is assembled....Is there a alternate?
Here in Iowa, the IDOT has a policy whereby they might waive to actual Serial Number inspection on the frame.

Ask your DOT if they would waive the inspection because of where the Number is located. They would probably want pretty good proof that the Number is actually what you say it is.

Larry
Old 12-28-2015, 10:59 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I took a pencil and paper to the engine block number and made a rubbing of the number. I also took a picture of the number and pictures of the car from all sides. I never had to lift the body or have it inspected in person. I did this about 15 years ago for 2 Model A titles. The titles are bonded for 3 years, and this cost $500 for two titles, tax and bonding, plus the antique plates.

I later changed the antique plate on my 28 Phaeton to year of manufacture plate for about $7 as I recall.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
TerryH

I bought my restored Model A from a man in upstate New York, and while he was restoring it, he also did a number tracing of the frame, which he gave to me when I bought the car. Wonder how many folks know to do that when they have their car apart?
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:07 PM   #6
fourbangerbob

Tom,

I have to have my car inspected because it was a chassis only. Did you have it inspected and where in Minnesota.
fourbangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
wrndln

Bob, the hot rod guy,
I have heard some DMV offices are tougher than others for unusual things, like builders titles. You might check around with people you know to see if you can find a DMV that is more accommodating.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

I didn't have to have it inspected. I thought you couldn't get a title on just the chassis. I thought you had to have a roadworthy vehicle to get a title, or at least a complete vehicle, like with some kind of body on the frame.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #9
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
You can try one of those "manufacturers" plates on the firewall and hope the inspector doesn't know any better. These cars are 80+ years old. They don't get a lot of experience with them. Any cars coming into Pa are subject to the same serial number verification. We also need a rubbing of the serial number. It can be a PITA. Get a copy of the law and see what exceptions are in it.
Terry
The down side to your suggestion is that if you happen to get an inspector that knows better you might get the car impounded. I am sure there is at least one in every state.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #10
lakeside

I think I would start with #2's advice. At the DMV it depends on who you end up talking to. I've never run across this situation where the inspector must see the frame #. I would start with an engine # or firewall body #. If the clerk starts talking about the ''inspector'' go to another office.
lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #11
2manycars

It may be a shady idea, but if it were my car, I would stamp the engine number (or title number if different) into the center crossmember in front of the seat, under the floorboard, and show them that.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #12
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

In my dealings with the IDOT about getting a Bonded Title, I realized right away that if they sense that you are less than honest, you will travel though Hell.. And may not return.

Give them all the info they ask for
Be totally honest with them. No gimmicks. They know them all. In spite of what you think about their car intelligence
Provide more details than they ask for (if you have them)

Always "thank you." And DON"T "hound" them. They work at their own pace. We are not the only Customer they have.

Larry
Old 12-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #13
Terry, NJ

I don't think its shady or duplicitus in any way as long as you not trying to alter the number in anyway. Anymore than painting the number on the door is shady. Stupid, Yes! Shady, no! The folks who make those plates expect you to stamp the correct number in the blank field. That's why it's there. It's an alternative source, much more available. Honesty is the best policy! But there's nothing wrong with helping honesty out now and then.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:29 PM   #14
wgmatt

I had to bring mine to Mora, Minnesota where the inspector used the engine number. He had just inspected a T and did the same thing. He ran the engine number to see if it was registered anywhere else. It wasn't. I also had to post a bond against the title but it wasn't a big deal.
wgmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #15
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
I don't think its shady or duplicitus in any way as long as you not trying to alter the number in anyway. Anymore than painting the number on the door is shady. Stupid, Yes! Shady, no! The folks who make those plates expect you to stamp the correct number in the blank field. That's why it's there. It's an alternative source, much more available. Honesty is the best policy! But there's nothing wrong with helping honesty out now and then.
Terry
But.. The Inspector might see that plate as an attempt to deceive.. even thought your intents are very honorable..

They think defensively.

Larry
Old 12-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #16
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
But.. The Inspector might see that plate as an attempt to deceive.. even thought your intents are very honorable..

They think defensively.

Larry
I might add.. I fed the IDOT so much information that they waived the inspection. And my 30 CCPU was all in pieces. Many photos of the before a some after.

AND great images of the frame's Serial Number. (They call it a VIN.)

Saved 'em a trip! They do things right..
Old 12-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #17
1937pickup

Lot of good advise, however, I disagree with giving them more information than they ask for. This can lead to more questions that you can not answer. Just give them what they ask for. Just my thought learned through experience.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #18
kbinde2

Delaware must see the number also, our '29 Special had a 10+ year old ownership in MI, and a trip to DE/DMV led to the procedure to get to the stamped numbers. A decision was made to rebuild motor/transmission, with a brake overhaul in the near future.. Blessing in disguise(?)
kbinde2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:51 PM   #19
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937pickup View Post
Lot of good advise, however, I disagree with giving them more information than they ask for. This can lead to more questions that you can not answer. Just give them what they ask for. Just my thought learned through experience.
It shows them you have nothing to hide. They are always suspicious. Nature of the business. Consider how many times and ways there has been attempts to trick them..

Information regarding your request is comforting to them if they sense you are genuine. Cannot hurt..

Larry

Last edited by Larry Jenkins; 12-29-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Larry Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:53 PM   #20
Cool Hand Lurker

Bob
I have sent you a private message, check your profile page.
da Lurker
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote