Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #1
satelite

Default elec. fuel pump

A friend of mine has been having problems with elec. fuel pumps failing after a short time. He has a 50 Mercury and lives in N. Tonawanda, NY. There aren't many gas stations in his area that carry non ethanol fuel. What kind of elec. fuel pump do you recommend?
Don in SC
satelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #2
flatheadmurre

Default Re: elec. fuel pump

Just stay away from the diaphragm and bellow style pumps and go for gear or piston types.
Anything with rubber included is a gamble today...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
Drbrown

The Airtex electric pump in my '47 that is mounted near the gas tank has been working fine for years. I understand its a flow-thru design and I use it only as an auxiliary pump to prime the carb for starting the engine after it has been sitting. I have not yet experienced the failure of the stock mechanical pump but carry a spare carb and pump in the trunk.

Rather than pay an extra 60 cents per gallon and drive a half hour for non-ethanol gas, I use regular ethanol gas and before filling-up add some "StarTron" (blue colored) enzyme fuel treatment to prevent ethanol problems. I found various threads re this product favored by some members, as well as the Marine grade of "Sta-bil'. .... a less expensive solution than paying extra for the (IMHO unnecessary) 91 octane gas.

I also use a carb and mechanical fuel pump that were (professionally) rebuilt by well-known Ford Barn members using components not/less effected by ethanol.

Last edited by Drbrown; 11-21-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Bruce/CT

Hi,
For what it is worth. I was told yesterday by a small engine repairman ( lawn mowers, snow blowers) that Medium grade gas has less Ethanol than Regular and Super has even less. I don't know if he is correct.
Bruce/CT
Old 11-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
Drbrown

Around eastern NY State the pumps say "up to 10% ethanol" for regular grade 87 octane. I don't know about the in-between grade and the high grade 91 octane ethanol.

One thing I like about unleaded .... spark plugs etc last way longer. Put 80,000 miles on the first set in our family VW. Of course, computerized engine controls help too.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:31 PM   #6
fordor41

Us in NYS have been using 10% E gas for years. Personally I have had no problems that I can contribute to that gas. Of course my car doesn't sit for months at a time either so it always has fresh gas in it.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote