Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #41
Bob Grieb

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Grieb
Default Re: Engine Hard To Start Question

I am using fresh gas and I have verified good flow to the carburetor. I know little about the carburetor. I had it rebuilt and had to return in once because the float had a pin hole in it. I am thinking that the spark is not the issue.
Bob Grieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #42
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grieb View Post
The plugs are not new but I did clean them and regap them and they do show spark when the engine is cranking. I have been told that the engine does not require a lot of choking however when I do get the engine to catch and run for a few seconds the application of the choke half way open helps keep the engine running longer.

this sounds like a fuel problem...carb, fuel flow, leaky manifold, stuck valves, etc

since you are in Temecula, which has a club with around 90 members, it would probably be easier with some hands on help, which might be easy to get with a phone call. Try a proven good carburetor and see how that works. Did you do a compression check?
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #43
MCHinson

If holding the choke half way out allows it to run longer, that certainly points to a fuel problem.

I would look for, in no particular order, really bad fuel, no air flow into the tank due to a clogged or missing gas cap vent, a rust clogged or bad fuel shut off valve, a clogged fuel line, a clogged sediment bulb, clogged carburetor jets, or some other carburetor problem.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #44
Bob Grieb

Pat

After posting as a Newbie and receiveing the recommendation to get involved in a Model A Club I went on line and got the information and I am going to attend my first Model A meeting this coming Tuesday.

Thanks

Bob
Old 11-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #45
MCHinson

I would suspect that if you contact the local club, you will easily find someone who will stop by and help you get the problem solved. Years ago, I had someone from my local club stop by and help me with a problem. These days, I am one of the guys who stops by and helps others when they have problems.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #46
mrtexas

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. I believe I am getting fuel as I have checked for restrictions. I did learn the starting method by watching a YouTube video. It agrees with what you described and I believe I am executing it as described.

I have a timing light but I am not sure how to use it on a Model A. Can you elaborate on the method I should use for using the timing light.

I am not sure what you mean by the term "IMHO"

Thanks for the help!

Bob
Here is a picture of the timing scale you can buy from the Model A parts houses for $10. If your A is still 6v, use a 12v battery to hook the timing light up to and put the inductive pickup on the #1 spark plug wire. If you can keep the engine running, this will check the timing. My timing was off by 20degrees using the manual when I checked it with the timing light.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #47
Bob Grieb

Thanks

I will get the timing scale. I need to get it to run first. Hopefully soon.

Bob
Old 11-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #48
bogdonj

Ok Bob, I was the poster of the thread mentioned above about our A not running just like what you have mentioned. I have tried everything for weeks to get the thing running. I ended up taking it back to our rebuilder and he took the spark plug leads off the distributor and cranked it over and success it started right up. Our rebuilt carb was the issue. For some reason it was always running rich even when the adjustment was turned off and it was fouling our plugs. Not 1 but all 4 at the same time. Here is a video of it starting with the spark plug leads off. Try this and see if she will run!!!! It sure shocked me and I was lost for words. Just because it was rebuilt doesn't mean it was rebuilt right or working right. Give it a try and let me know! Before trying this take your plugs out and make sure they are dry and clean.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bogdonav.../3/NquVJtQCOo4 --Video

My post regarding NO START
http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16974

Justin
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #49
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdonj View Post
Ok Bob, I was the poster of the thread mentioned above about our A not running just like what you have mentioned. I have tried everything for weeks to get the thing running. I ended up taking it back to our rebuilder and he took the spark plug leads off the distributor and cranked it over and success it started right up. Our rebuilt carb was the issue. For some reason it was always running rich even when the adjustment was turned off and it was fouling our plugs. Not 1 but all 4 at the same time. Here is a video of it starting with the spark plug leads off. Try this and see if she will run!!!! It sure shocked me and I was lost for words. Just because it was rebuilt doesn't mean it was rebuilt right or working right. Give it a try and let me know! Before trying this take your plugs out and make sure they are dry and clean.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bogdonav.../3/NquVJtQCOo4 --Video

My post regarding NO START
http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16974

Justin
My neighbor's small engine wouldn't start until I removed the spark plug and heated the center electrode good and hot with a propane torch, then it fired right up.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #50
jimvette59

Check the timing specs. for the dissy with a MODERN cap. My thought the idle circuit in the carburetor is clogged.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #51
smurph

If it starts to die give it a quick pull of the choke. You may have to this two or three times till everything gets working smoothly. This method works foir me!
smurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:28 AM   #52
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Pat

After posting as a Newbie and receiveing the recommendation to get involved in a Model A Club I went on line and got the information and I am going to attend my first Model A meeting this coming Tuesday.

Thanks

Bob
don't be afraid to call someone before tuesday who is listed on the club website as the contact. ... just introduce yourself as a newbie having trouble with your first A.

if they don't have the time, they'll give you someone's number who just might. It is the weekend, and Model A folks are quite generous with their help. Someone in your area might be bored and need to get out of the house. I suspect the "rebuilt" carburetor has some issues. Its easier for you to install another that is known to work to eliminate or confirm the carb as the problem than it will be to diagnose the carburetor.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:40 AM   #53
Bob Grieb

Thanks for the advice Pat. Iam going to a tractor auction tomorrow so iwill contact someone early Monday morning. I agree it would be simpler to put a known good carburetor on the engine rather than trying to find an issue with he present carb

Bob
Old 11-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #54
Bob Grieb

I spent most of the afternoon trying to get the A to run with little success. I retimed it and toward the end or the day I noticed that the spark at the plugs is intermitent. It appears that when I first turn the engine ove I have spark but within a few seconds the spark disappears. Does that sound possible?

If I chose to by a new coil do i have to get one specific to the Model A or is a 6 volt coil a six volt coil.

Bob
Old 11-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #55
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
I spent most of the afternoon trying to get the A to run with little success. I retimed it and toward the end or the day I noticed that the spark at the plugs is intermitent. It appears that when I first turn the engine ove I have spark but within a few seconds the spark disappears. Does that sound possible?

If I chose to by a new coil do i have to get one specific to the Model A or is a 6 volt coil a six volt coil.

Bob
Doesn't sound like a coil problem to me. I had intermitent spark a few years ago and it turned out to be the ignition switch. The repro switch didn't have a firm OFF-ON click to it. The contacts were barely touching. I took the switch apart and fixed it.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #56
Mitch//pa
BANNED

take a simple 12volt test light and see if your losing power to the coil when you lose spark.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #57
Mitch//pa
BANNED

here is a diagram if you need it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring-DiagramColor2sm.jpg (84.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #58
Tom Wesenberg

Also take a jumper wire, remove the instument panel screws, and jump across the ignition switch if it's a repro. See if that doesn't help.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #59
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Also take a jumper wire, remove the instument panel screws, and jump across the ignition switch if it's a repro. See if that doesn't help.

i had to do that on the side of the road once. thats why i always carry my test light and a piece of wire...
Old 11-15-2010, 01:30 AM   #60
Dennis L Oberer

Sounds like it is the coil, ignition switch, battery, or the condensor.

Dennis L Oberer
Green Bay WI
Dennis L Oberer is offline   Reply With Quote