Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
wudnwgn

Default Radiator/fan clearance in a 1930 Ford w/8ba engine

Hi
The project I'm working on is a 1930 Ford 2dr Sedan with an 8BA (1949-53 Flathead) installed.

I'm having trouble with the fan setup (clearance) and trying to find a radiator with about a 2" core that will work for this setup. Has anyone out there done this conversion with success?. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
wudnwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Radiator/fan clearance in a 1930 Ford w/8ba engine

I think the radiator with the 2" core would overheat. You might have better response posting this on HAMB http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/
Be sure to introduce yourself first.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
flatjack9

You really need to convert over to the early crab distributor in order to have enough clearance for a fan. Either that or set the engine back and indent the firewall.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The model As are pretty tight in there if you're planning on using the stock hood. The old mustang radiators are known to fit inside a model A shell or what have you but I still don't think it will give you fan clearance. The Bishop/Tardel roadster has a 59A engine and it barely fits with a modified generator type fan. If you alter the radiator or front crossmember location then the hood won't fit so the only way to go is back into the firewall. That will move your transmission & shifter location back too.

I won't say it can't be done but you'll likely have to compromise somewhere. As flatjack9 mentioned, installing a crab type ignition with appropriate camshaft and early style water pumps with a modified generator type fan would get you there.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
Vergil

I have an 8ba in a '30 pickup. I sent the water pumps to skip to be rebuilt and install two of the narrow pulleys (the one that runs from the back crankshaft v-groove) cut the front groove off, running one narrow belt, added another pulley on the three blade fan hub, ran alternator from that pulley, running 4x2's, installed the front mounts 1" below the top of frame, didn't have to cut the firewall, stock length hood, with the engine setting lower it has a flat floorboard on incline and bottom, using t5 transmission, recored model a radiator but one more row added to core, bottom outlets angled down about 15º, a lot of work but fits, oh and not using a distributor (crank trigger) but would fit with a stock distributor I think. Will dig a picture up and post.

Vergil

Last edited by Vergil; 10-29-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Add Picts
Vergil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
Wingfield

The 8BA is two inches longer with the stock generator and fan than the eariler motors. You may need to recess your firewall.
Wingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
Neal

I had an 8BA in a '29 sedan and it fit tight. The firewall was recessed with a hammer about an inch. The fan was real close to the stock radiator, maybe 1/2 inch clearance. I had a flex-type fan and that gives you a little room. It can be done but it is tight.

I replaced that motor with an earlier style with the front distributor and have plenty of room.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
wudnwgn

Hi
Thanks to all who responded to my question, I'm still scratching my head a little on this one.
Ron
wudnwgn is offline   Reply With Quote