Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
mrraford

Default Differential Gear Carrier Two Types

Ok, I've got to ask. Is there a difference in the performance/durability/etc in the two types of ring gear carrier for the A?
The best one I have for my rebuild is the early type. I'm curious as to why Henry changed mid-stream unless it was strictly for cost purposes. Can anybody here weigh in on this?
Now would be the time to look for another part before the rebuild progresses to the point of fitting parts. Thanks all.
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:46 PM   #2
Mikeinnj

Default Re: Differential Gear Carrier Two Types

As per Tom Endys article on rebuilding the differential, he states:

"There is an early version and a late version. Either can be interchanged as a complete assembly.".......Tom also mentions that the later type consists of two dissimilar carrier halves and the ring gear can only be installed on one of those sides and will not install on the other. The early carrier has identical halves and the ring gear can be installed on either of those halves. As to which is more robust,or why the design was changed, Mr Endy does not address that issue. In my opinion, I would rebuild the carrier you have if after careful examination it appears serviceable.

Tom's Articles can be found here :www.santaanitaas.org/technical-reference/tom-endys-tech-articles/

Last edited by Mikeinnj; 02-23-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: sp.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #3
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
As per Tom Endys article on rebuilding the differential, he states:

"There is an early version and a late version. Either can be interchanged as a complete assembly."

Toms Articles can be found here :www.santaanitaas.org/technical-reference/tom-endys-tech-articles/
I think that's right. The two assemblies are functionally the same, but the location of the radial split (distance from the bearing carrier to the halves joint) is slightly different between the two. Mixing could result in two short a distance between bearing seats - or too long - either resulting in an inability to get proper pre-load on the trumpet bearings.

IIRC the difference is apparent in assembly of mis-matched halves too. Different shouldering of the halves.

Joe K
Old 02-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
mrraford

I weren't gonna try to mix the parts. I was wondering if Henry changed because the early one was failing (ala 7 tooth steering, multidisc clutch, AR emergency brake, etc) or if it just happened as part of the evolution of the parts.
Thanks for the input guys.
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote